Secure Skill (New Skill-Based Feat)

Al

First Post
I've lurked and posted quite a bit, but this is the first original feat I've made so be gentle...

Secure Skill [General]
Prereqs: Skill Focus in the appropriate skill, 8 or more ranks in the appropriate skill.
Benefit: If the character rolls a score of 9 or less when making a skill check, he can opt to take 10 retroactively instead. It has no effect when the initial roll is 10 or greater.
Example: Jim the Rogue is using his Disable Device skill, and believes he needs a 12 to disarm the trap. He cannot take 10, and rolls as normal. Disastrously, he rolls a 3. Under normal circumstances he would trigger the trap, but he uses the Secure Skill to count as having rolled 10: the trap is still active, but not triggered.
Special: The character may not use the Secure Skill under circumstances where he cannot take 10, such as opposed rolls and when distracted. If he has the ability Skill Mastery (such as a high-level rogue) this limitation is removed.
Normal: A character may choose to take 10 OR roll a d20, the result of which he must take.

Before you scream too powerful, a bit of statistics.
Normally, by rolling d20, the average roll is 10.5.
Using this feat, the average is increased to 12.75 (work it through using expectational algebra: the average of 11x10+11-20 is 12.75 I think)
So in terms of sheer increase, it's not much better than Skill Focus. And of course having SF as a prerequisite adds an impetus for people to take SF in the first place, rather than the myriad of feats which give a +2 to two skills.
It struck me initially as useful for professional types, who want to make a good attempt of a particularly outstanding job without having to take 20 (which may not be available) or take a big risk, but it's useful for adventurers as well.

Comments?
Too boring?
Too powerful?
Too weak?

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
A bit too convoluted. I'd rather have them take 10 before the roll is made ala skill mastery. Of course, that basically would mean you would have a neutered skill mastery feat available for each class.

What about two rolls, take the better one? Chance for failure a lot lower, but the same average. At least it doesn't seem so bloody arbitrary (9? the lower 45%?)

Rav

Al

First Post
Convoluted?

It's not really very convoluted. Simply put, if you roll a 9 or less, you count as having gotten 10. The fancy wording is just to make it watertight for rules-lawyers and the like.

Taking 10 before the skill roll seems pointless, as they can do this anyway. If you simply waive the restriction under which they can/can't take 10, then as you say, this simply emulates Skill Mastery.

Two rolls is an interesting alternative, but still doesn't eliminate the chance of disastrous cockups.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Too complicated/convoluted. Skill Mastery for one skill is easy to remember and doesn't take away from the rogue's special ability.

Last edited:

Al

First Post
Perhaps, but Skill Mastery for one skill seems too weak. Compared to the 2 +2 feats and the oft-discussed +3 house rule Skill Focus, Secure Skill needs to be worth taking. Being able to take 10 all the time is handy but I wouldn't blow a feat on it to apply it to just one skill.

And it's not convoluted! Basically, if you roll 9 or less, you take 10 retroactively. Otherwise, you get what you rolled. Compared with many feats, this is almost childishly simple to understand!

Remove ads