Seeking advice on the Cloistered Cleric

Aus_Snow

First Post
For Pathfinder, that is.

For the PFRPG game coming up (in a few months), I'll be tinkering with some of the basic rules, as usual, and the Cleric is one of the things on my hit list.

If you're not familiar with the Cloistered Cleric from UA, and don't have access to that book, it's also viewable here. Now, there's one significant niggle I have with it: the Knowledge Domain thing.

So. What should I replace that with, in your opinion, in order to bring my replacement Cleric more or less up to speed with the rest of the (core) PF base classes?

The rest looks fine to me. Much better, for my purposes, than the standard Cleric, in fact. Of course, the class will be, other than as noted, based on the PF version, not the 3e.

Crothian

First Post
Are you going to take the Cloistered Cleric and apply it to the Pathfinder version of the Cleric or the one it was meant for the 3.5 version? I would not combine the UA class modifications to the Pathfinder versions.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hm. OP was clear as mud, it seems. :D

I don't like the Knowledge Domain addition, regardless of whether it's for a 3e or 3.PF Cloistered Cleric. So I'm looking for a replacement - any ideas?

And yeah, I'll be taking the rest of the Cloistered Cleric changes, and applying that to the Pathfinder Cleric. Why would you not do that, Crothian? Just curious - I'll be doing so anyway, but I would like to hear your thoughts on that.

pawsplay

Hero
As nearly as I can tell, the Tome of Secrets Priest *is* the Cloistered Cleric, converted to Pathfinder. Why do you object to the Knowledge Domain? I think metaphysically it kind of annoys me (does my deity restrict my domains, or not?) but it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of balance.

I might replace it with a bonus feat at 1st, 9th, and 17th levels, drawn from Alignment Channel, Turn Undead, and other positive/negative energy channeling abilities, plus maybe Spontaneous Domain.

Stormtower

First Post
Hey Aus_Snow,

The OP was kinda clear as mud. :p

Help me understand your intentions with a PF Cloistered Cleric. Why not the Knowledge domain? Is it overpowered? Underpowered? What don't you like about it?

Do you want a similar type of ability to replace the Knowledge domain or something versatile such as the Spontaneous Domain that Pawsplay suggested, which could apply to the various deities of Golarion (most of which could probably have cloisters, though I'd be hard pressed to imagine a cloister of Rovagug...)?

Philosopher

First Post
How about just having the cloistered cleric getting three of the deity's domains? In other words, replacing the Knowledge domain with another domain.

Arevashti

First Post
I personally like the Knowledge domain; it adds to the scholarly aspect of the class. But that's just me.

"Any three of the deity's domains" would be an acceptable exchange.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I personally like the Knowledge domain; it adds to the scholarly aspect of the class. But that's just me.

"Any three of the deity's domains" would be an acceptable exchange.
True, it does. So no, it's not just you, I suspect. ;) I forgot to mention that "Cloistered Cleric" is not going to be an accurate description of the class as I want it, but rather, the core of the mechanics "overhaul". This version of this class will be replacing the Cleric, full stop. And I want it to represent any number of "gifted" (courtesy of divine PTB) priests and priestesses, whether cultured, barbaric, or whatever else. So yes, I should've said so to begin with, but oh well.

In fact, the Knowledge domain doesn't work too badly, for what I have in mind, now I've given the Pathfinder version another look. Not sure whether I'd just skipped it before, or indeed, misread the 3.5 original (which could be identical, for all I can remember), but either way, if I just end up keeping the CC as is, there are worse "generic lore-keeping magical priest" sets of abilities+spells out there.

Anyway, what I was hoping to come up with - or steal! :) - is something new, something not common to classes as they are, or the like. But I know, that's a lot to ask. Essentially, some ideas would be nice. Suggestions welcome, certainly.

Remove ads