D&D 5E Seeking details for 5e Neverwinter beyond SCAG.

Kristivas

First Post
There's a small entry in Storm King's Thunder on Neverwinter: Lord Neverember still rules the city. He supports the Lord Alliance in its mission to colonize the north while keeping a firm grip on his city by imposing harsh taxes on the riches and the the guilds to prevent them from gaining too much power like they did in his natal Waterdeep. He also dispose a any possible heir to the Alagondar crown. The outer walls are in ruin and many wards are still abandoned. Still the city is being rebuilt in all haste. There's a sealed underdark passage in the middle of the city. You can also find in SKT entries on Neverwinter Wood, Helm's Hold, Port Last, Beoruna Well, Old Owl Well and Gautlgrym, all destinations close to Neverwinter.

Thank you. :)

I nabbed the Neverwinter Campaign Setting on advice that it contained little real rules and was 75% descriptive fluff. I loved it. At the same time Wizards started their 5E playtesting so I set my campaign there, using the Campaign book as the guide.

As part of playtesting, I managed to nab the D&D Encounters adventures set there:

Gates of Neverdeath
Lost Crown of Neverwinter
Storm over Neverwinter

I converted them to the 5e playtest and we had a blast. The second two adventures are also chock full of additional lore, NPCs and story hooks.

Once the first season of Adventurer's League came out, the players were really all invested in the setting, so we played out the season's "Tyranny of Dragons" adventures and set them in Neverwinter instead of the suggested Phlan. That too went very well.

As far as continuity went, as we were playing we got the Lord Neverember changes from Rise of Tiamat and just went with it - having the PC's see him suffer the changes and return to Neverwinter. So that was cool.

So for advice, see if you can't hunt down those adventures (last two are on DM's Guild I believe) and if you really want to get detailed seek out the Neverwinter Vinyl Campaign Map by Gale Force Nine at a whopping 30" x 42".

I shall nab these post-haste, thanks. :)

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I've looked at the SCAG entry and it seems that all the cool stuff from 4E simply no longer exists. Solution? Go back to 4E. It's a great take on the city that means it is rife with adventure possibilities.

You may also have seen my blog - my-realms.blogspot.com - which hasn't been updated for a couple of years but had a fairly well-regarded series expanding Lost Mine of Phandelver. The final post on that series should be up this week and it's going to present a slightly different take on the 4E version of Neverwinter for those DMs who may have used the 4E version already but want a few more ideas. It's up to 3,300 words already and is about 2/3rds done. But be warned: It's definitely ignoring the SCAG version to focus on Neverwinter being a city in which there is adventure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've looked at the SCAG entry and it seems that all the cool stuff from 4E simply no longer exists. Solution? Go back to 4E. It's a great take on the city that means it is rife with adventure possibilities.

You may also have seen my blog - my-realms.blogspot.com - which hasn't been updated for a couple of years but had a fairly well-regarded series expanding Lost Mine of Phandelver. The final post on that series should be up this week and it's going to present a slightly different take on the 4E version of Neverwinter for those DMs who may have used the 4E version already but want a few more ideas. It's up to 3,300 words already and is about 2/3rds done. But be warned: It's definitely ignoring the SCAG version to focus on Neverwinter being a city in which there is adventure.
That fits pretty well with the current WotC "use whatever timeline floats your boat" approach to settings.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

The Neverwinter MMO is canon (if you want to use that word) for 5th Ed Forgotten Realms, which is why the hardcover adventures are all part of it. So any up to date wiki or other info you can find for the game will apply equally to the tabletop. The only obvious changes that would be optional would be any aftereffects that the adventures may have caused on the game, since those are not accounted for in the print version of the Realms either.

Kristivas

First Post
Part of the problem with that is, after a few trial runs of 4e soon after it's release, I bailed out. Didn't care for it, so I didn't really bother with any of the products, or keeping up with the storyline, as those were my "MMO years". My groups and I just kept plugging away with 3.5 until 5e came out.

I have seen your blog. I liked it, and it had quite a few tidbits in there that I added to my notes. I'll keep a look out for that post and probably use a lot of the info for history, but I definitely want to set my game after 1491 DR.

I'm using a lot of Aberrations/Monstrosites for my game. The purpose is to thwart the Lovecraftian-like abominations from the Far Realm from their machinations of controlling Faerun. I've got the Abolethic Sovereignty having been licking their wounds in the shadows while Neverwinter went about rebuilding. I kind of want things to start off all hope and sunshine. The Netherese, Thayans, and Ashmadai all seem as though they're no longer a threat, and the Lord's Alliance is forging ahead like a well-oiled machine. The party will start out earning their keep to survive, and building up their reputations and neighborhood (they'll be in the rebuilding part of the city around the filled-in chasm).

A portion of my story deals with the Aberrations, and another is focused on the slow coup of the city by a cadre of wealthy nobles and merchants (being used as puppets by a cabal of Illithid), in which I'll let the group either stand with Neverember or betray him and seal his fate. The latter choice will probably cause the city to fall in the last act of the campaign. In addition to all of that, more than a few members of the reformed Many-Starred Cloak could be sleeper agents of the Arcane Brotherhood, and Luskan ships may just show up on Neverwinter's docks one foggy morning for a little surprise, depending on how my players handle things during the story. And we're definitely going to visit Xinlenal in the late-game.

There's a lot one can do, in my opinion, to find adventure in a city that's on a big upswing.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Looking forward to it, scrivener

Thanks for your continued patience, encouragment, and enthusiasm. The first draft is up: <here>.

(snip) I'm using a lot of aberrations/Monstrosites for my game. The purpose is to thwart the Lovecraftian-like abominations from the Far Realm from their machinations of controlling Faerun. I've got the Abolethic Sovereignty having been licking their wounds in the shadows while Neverwinter went about rebuilding. I kind of want things to start off all hope and sunshine. (snip)

The post is up now and some mention is made of the schemes of the aboleth although I will need to go back and edit that section to give additional detail and clarity.

I would also recommend to you that you look at 3E's The Speaker in Dreams as it would seem to match up with some of the ideas you mention.

Kristivas

First Post
Thanks for your continued patience, encouragment, and enthusiasm. The first draft is up: <here>.
Wow, really well done, mate.

The post is up now and some mention is made of the schemes of the aboleth although I will need to go back and edit that section to give additional detail and clarity.

I would also recommend to you that you look at 3E's The Speaker in Dreams as it would seem to match up with some of the ideas you mention.
Appreciate the suggestion. I found a copy and skimmed through it, and it looks good. Right up my alley, for what I'm going for. Pretty sure I'll use it.

Remove ads