D&D 5E Sell me on 5th…

pukunui

Legend
Just a tangent off of this in general…how is 5th on its supply of “furry”/anthropomorphic PC races?
Tabaxi = catfolk
Tortle = tortoisefolk
Owlin = owlfolk
Harengon = rabbitfolk
Aarokocra = birdfolk
Shifter = animalistic werefolk
Dragonborn = dragonfolk
Centaur = horse/ponyfolk
Kenku = ravenfolk
Minotaur = cowfolk
Satyr = goatfolk
Yuan-ti = snakefolk
Giff = hippofolk
Hadozee = flying monkeyfolk
Thri-kreen = praying mantisfolk
Leonin = lionfolk
Loxodon = elephantfolk

Then there’s the custom race in Tasha’s that lets you make pretty much anything you can imagine.

Just a tangent off of this in general…how is 5th on its supply of “furry”/anthropomorphic PC races?

For me, they’re one common theme in fantasy literature, legends, faerie tales and myths that is a curiously underused/under-permitted option in FRPGs.

I’d probably have played more of them if I could have. I’ve designed quite a few going back to 2Ed, but most are unused. Hell, half of my 4Ed PCs I created as well as most of my 2023 3.5Ed PC designs were some kind of bestial race.

Tabaxi = catfolk
Tortle = tortoisefolk
Owlin = owlfolk
Harengon = rabbitfolk
Aarokocra = birdfolk
Shifter = animalistic werefolk
Dragonborn = dragonfolk
Centaur = horse/ponyfolk
Kenku = ravenfolk
Minotaur = cowfolk
Satyr = goatfolk
Yuan-ti = snakefolk
Giff = hippofolk
Hadozee = flying monkeyfolk
Thri-kreen = praying mantisfolk
Leonin = lionfolk
Loxodon = elephantfolk

Then there’s the custom race in Tasha’s that lets you make pretty much anything you can imagine.

Beat me to it, I was even missing a couple that you remembered.
There's also a couple of options for constructs and undead PC's.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm.

What got me thinking about how 5th handles the furry angle was a bit of wordplay that turned into a seed of a PC idea: “The Bear of Bad News” (character NAME as yet undecided).

Said anthro-ursine PC is a “Jonah” or “Cooler”. A character whose shtick is cursing others, in the various ways D&D historically allows- debuffs, luck manipulation, actual curses, etc., class as yet unknown, for obvious reasons.

Further, the character would prefer using a club as his melee weapon of choice, and thrown spheres for ranged combat…

(And besides all that, some of the prior unplayed designs might also be feasible.)

Last edited:

For me, they’re one common theme in fantasy literature, legends, faerie tales and myths that is a curiously underused/under-permitted option in FRPGs.

I’d probably have played more of them if I could have. I’ve designed quite a few going back to 2Ed, but most are unused. Hell, half of my 4Ed PCs I created as well as most of my 2023 3.5Ed PC designs were some kind of bestial race.
Currently 5e has these anthropomorphic animal races:

1. Dragonborn
2. Kobold
3. Harengon
4. Kenku
5. Locathah
6. Owlin
7. Tabaxi
8. Tortle
9. Lizardfolk
10. Minotaur
11. Aven
12. Khenra
13. Naga
14. Loxodon
15. Giff
16. Hadozee
17. Thri-Kreen
18. Leonin

Level Up has it's own share of anthropomorphic animal heritages.

1. Cervid (Deerfolk)
2. Chrysalian (Fey who resemble anthropomorphic butterflies and moths)
3. Dragonborn
4. Galeoni (Small-sized shark-folk)
5. Garoul (the wolffolk descendants of werewolves)*
6. Gnoll
7. Kobold
8. Lizardfolk
9. Madrai (Dogfolk)
10. Minotaur
11. Ratling

*Why stop at one lycanthrope-derived heritage? 😋

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Pretty solid, particularly in Monsters of the Multiverse: Shifters (which allow for a catchall), Tortles, Tabaxi (whi can be any kind of Cat, abd Small or Medium), Haregon, Kenku, Aaracocka, Lizardfolk, Minotaurs, Satyrs, and so on.

Remove ads