Sell me on ... Pennsylvania

eryndel

Explorer
Well, I'm in the process of looking for work and, in order to find employment in this tough time, I've pretty much looked all over. From my home town in rural Oregon to Europe and England. So, I got word back that one of the jobs I applied to, Bettis Labs, is interested in me and flying me out for an interview on the 9th. The job is in Pittsburgh, PA.

So, residents or even people who've visited... What is this neck of the woods like? How are the roleplaying prospects? Furthest east I've been so far is Illinois, so this will be an all new sort of beast.

I want to hear the good and the bad.

DaveStebbins

First Post
Well, I'm a couple of hours north of Pittsburgh (stop when you get to the big water thingie!), so I can try to give you a bit of an idea.

Like most of the northeast, we get four distinct seasons and, while many people aren't big fans of winter and snow, I kinda like being part of the everchanging cycle. Another plus is that, while winter does involve the occasional snowstorm, that's about as bad as it gets environment-wise. No earthquakes, hurricanes, 100 degree heatwaves, darn rare tornadoes; overall pretty sweet.

Cost of living isn't too bad, partly because the whole rust-belt area is still in somewhat of a down-economy, not having recovered totally from the move of manufacturing and steel outward and overseas in the 70's and 80's.

Don't know much about Pittsburgh itself. Generally just head to and from the airport. There should be decent gaming with several local universities. I seem to remember the area being rather hilly.

Not much of a help, but better than nothing. :)

Crothian

First Post
Its a lot cleaner then it used to be. The steel mills were the corner stone of that city for a long time and when the mills starting going the city almost went with it. THere are still some mills, but for the most part the city has really cleaned up. Its got a great downtown, the sports teams have some of the best stadiums in their leagues, and the city is better for it. I have family north of the city up by the airport. I have no idea how gaming is though.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Interesting how lots of people that don't actually live there are responding. And hey - I'm one of 'em!

I drove through the northern part of Pennsylvania several years ago, and yes, while it was very pretty - very hilly, lots of forests, it was the most boring 8 hour drive I've ever endured. The good part was I did 90, and never got a ticket, so that was a bonus.

I had a friend from college who ended up moving to Philadelphia, and he just loved it. I know that doesn't help much, either, though.

Doesn't Dracula live in Pennsylvania?
No, wait that's Transylvania. My bad. :lol:

good luck on the job search thing. I'm currently engaged in that activity myself. So far, Columbia, MD; Richmond, VA; Raleigh, NC; and Pierre, SD (of all places) are on my list.

die_kluge said:
good luck on the job search thing. I'm currently engaged in that activity myself. So far, Columbia, MD; Richmond, VA; Raleigh, NC; and Pierre, SD (of all places) are on my list.
Not to hijack the thread, but if you end up in Richmond, that puts us in gaming distance. What are you looking for job wise?

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Go back where you came from we don't want YOU! ;)
just kidding
I live in Bethlehem PA and have visited Pittsburgh, moved here five years ago. Pretty nice place, not the greatest, Virginia was better, but you know it could be alot worst. Where I live RPing is pretty good (but you have to be slective about who you RP with to avoid idiots).

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
There's no place I'd rather live. And I mean that.

I'm in Northern Virginia right now. It's pretty, but it's also chockfull of people. Lots and lots and lots of people. Cars, suburbia, congestion, oh my.

Pittsburgh is the most beautiful city of its size I've visited. Hilly, green, well-planned. You've got plenty of cultural options within the city and plenty of natural ones outside it. (The PA highway system, as noted, does stink.)

I've been to about thirty different countries and all across the USA, but Penny remains the Great State (in my mind, anyway). In terms of natural beauty only British Columbia and Harper's Ferry, WV, seem to compare.

I think Dr. Midnight is from Pittsburgh. He used to post here regularly, and has/had a local gaming group.

I have to caveat this whole post with the fact that I live and die with the Pittsburgh sports teams - especially the (11 losing years and counting) Pirates. I also am an avid hunter and fishermen, so that's a big draw for me.

Anyway, I've been job-hunting for a position in Pittsburgh since I got out of the military. Haven't found one yet. Color me envious.

D

Remove ads