• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell me on ... Pennsylvania

der_kluge

Adventurer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Not to hijack the thread, but if you end up in Richmond, that puts us in gaming distance. What are you looking for job wise?

CL - I've been talking to a recruiter about a jobwith Capital One in the IT department (data warehousing). It's a pretty good job, but I have some other good jobs in the works in at least 3 other places. I just got another email from Tampa today, though that one is probably a little less my cup of tea. I've heard mixed things about the Richmond area, but my sister actually lives there, and she really likes it. I'd appreciate any insight into the area that you have, CL. PM me, though, since I'd hate to derail Eryndel's thread.

Last edited:

JonnyReb

First Post
While I'm stuck in Southern Hell right now, I was born and raised in PA. Mostly east & central parts of the state, but I gotta tell you I miss it.

I lived up in WA for a few years before moving here, and some of the towns between Olympia and the ocean looked *just* like towns from PA - I used to joke with my wife that I felt like I'd fallen through some cosmic gate and ended up home.

I had friends from Pittsburgh, get used to the phrase "You'ins guys", and "goin' downtown' ".

The cool thing if you're into the SCA is that Pennsic, a *huge* war, is fought outside Pittsburgh every year. We're talking multiple kingdom action, baby - and that was from.. ohhh... 20 or so years ago. I understand it's really big now.

Anyhow, hope that helps....

eryndel

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Personally, I've always lived on the west coast, so snow still holds some fascination for me (though the last couple years have been pretty snowy considering I'm in the Oregon valleys.) I'm pretty certain I'll get sick of it after my first season, but for now white christmases sound kinda nice. A question? Why is it so bad to drive through? Is it just kinda long?

I'm glad to hear so many good things. I personally love the Pacific NW and will miss it, but it sounds like Pennsylvania might be pretty similar.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Eryndel, I forget the hwy number, there is a hwy that runs across the entire northern part of the state. It's just straight, and really, really long. And there are only tiny little towns here and there. And it's just trees and hills, and not much else. It's scenic - for about 30 minutes.

Course, being as how your from Oregon, it might remind you of home.

/never been to Oregon.

RogueRonin

Explorer
I lived in Pittsburgh for about 7 years. I was a kid at the time, but from what I remember it is a darn good place to live. The weather is kind of towards the extreme (hot humid summers, cold cold snowy winters), but as was said before, no crazy natural disasters. The city itself is pretty nice, although it's in kind of an economic slump. I still go back to visit every now and then, and I can still say that I like Pittsburgh better than Detroit. The hills, depending on your point of view, make driving either fun or scary. There are all kinds of forests and mountains, beautiful scenery. As for gaming, I have know idea because I moved away from PA when I was about 10 or 11, which was before my D&D days started. But I do remember a bunch of stores that my friends went to for magic cards, they hosted D&D games ( I think one store was called Gamemasters...). But anyway, thats about all I can think of. Good luck in your job search and I hope you enjoy the Pittsburgh accent!

Kastil

Explorer
Well here's another person that doesn't live in Pittsburgh but was born outside of it. It's a great place, IMO. Everytime I go back home (as we call it), it feels good. The people are friendly as all get out and we're(they're) all basically sports freaks too.

As far as gaming...I am exclusively an online player now but I am sure there's got to be a gaming community out there. Remember, it's not soda, it's pop and are y'uns going to the game? ;-)

eryndel

Explorer
die_kluge said:
Eryndel, I forget the hwy number, there is a hwy that runs across the entire northern part of the state. It's just straight, and really, really long. And there are only tiny little towns here and there. And it's just trees and hills, and not much else. It's scenic - for about 30 minutes.

Course, being as how your from Oregon, it might remind you of home.

/never been to Oregon.

:D

Yeah, well, long travel times aren't a big deal to me. I think the narrow length of Oregon is about 300 or so miles, which is about the length of Pennsylvania. I guess I'll be right at home.

GILGAMESH

First Post
Pa. is a great state. I live in Northwestern (ERIE) Pa. and I love it. Got lots o' snow if you like that. The Fall time is beautiful. Big ol lake to swim and sport fish, and a gazillion little lakes and streams also. The economy has taken a bit of a beating the past few year (cough-bush-cough) but I believe it's on an upward swing now. People are pretty nice through most of the state.
Come visit. Travel through. Lots to do and see!

Alright Gov. Rendell where's my check! ;)

Sialia

First Post
Sight, smell, tastes, sounds, sensations for the whole body in four seasons . . .

Fireflies.

I grew up around Philly, so I'm not quite sure about Pittsburg, but in Philly summer nights were alive with glowing lights. Pittsburg shouldn't be too different climate wise, I think?

And the smell of wet lilacs in the springs.

We don't get either here in CA at all---too dry.

I miss them.

Also decent hoagies. Also a Philly thing--but probably there are some knockoffs in Pittsburg worth eating.

Building snow forts and making snow angels and throwing snowballs and Not Eating Yellow Snow. Ice skating outdoors on ponds, and watchign the fish swimming below.

Good apples from nearby upstate New York.

Hot cocoa and wet socks and skiing in the Poconos.

Hillsides covered in white dogwood and mountain laurel blooms.

Pittsburg had some way cool architecture the time I visited there for a weekend--it was much cleaner and prettier than Philly, about 20 years ago.

Sorry I haven't got anything more recent to report.

But Pennsylvania was a nice place to grow up.

Napftor

Explorer
Admittedly, I've never lived anywhere else, but I love PA. You get a healthy dose of all 4 seasons and you are not far from some beautiful scenery or hiking wherever you live. My home town of Hamburg is about 30 minutes west of Allentown at the crossraods of 2 major highways. I think it's the ideal spot. Sure PA's got its share of rednecks but they've been swept into the corners unlike the deep south. ;) I have to disagree that it's boring to drive through. You never know what's over the next hill or around the bend. Could be flat or could be mountainous, unlike my boring drive to GenCon last year *after* leaving PA (FLAT is boring!!).

In conclusion, have no fear coming here if you find a job you like.

Remove ads