[semi OT] DM ruling when you change your mind

gariig

First Post
I'm having a problem with the group I am in right now. One of the people just dropped his ranger and went for a fighter and later wanted to do Master Samauri. I said well, we need to change it to something more Forgotten Realmsish, so I said Lord Protectorate. However, the more I looked at the Master Samauri from Sword and Fist the more I realized it wouldn't work. So at the last game when the new fighter got introduced the PC didn't take too comfortably to that. Also, there is a bodyguard prestige class somewhere that worked like a secret service guy.

I'm just kind of curious to see what other people thought about this and if i reacted in the correct way. I'm afraid the PC was going to take this PrC basically because of the cleave abilities and ki abilities(which are another reason it wouldn't work). Also, I my friend seems to think you NEED to prestige class.

That's about it.

Gariig

kengar

First Post
Well, it sounds like there are two basic issues here. One is what to do about this particular character. I think that if he is just starting out with this PC, he has plenty of time to decide what to do with it in later levels. You certainly don't need to PrC & as DM, I would explain that to him. Fighters get so many Feats that they pretty amazingly powerful at higher levels without taking other classes; prestige or otherwise.

The second issue is about changing a ruling in general. That can be tough, I know. Talk to the player and explain your reasons for changing your mind (if they don't give anything about the campaign away). The point is to have fun, and if a given PrC or Character Concept will unbalance things too much or just plain "not fit in," then he should respect that. I usually try to have PC generation house rules laid out ahead of time and encourage players to ask me about ideas they have BEFORE finalizing the character.

If the player sticks his toes in and complains that he designed this character specifically with that PrC in mind, you might relent and let him go back change a few stats even though he's started play. Though, honestly, I can't think what would HAVE to be changed on a new Fighter PC that couldn't be adapted to another PrC, or none.

Just my 2cp

Remove ads