Sensitivity Writers. AKA: avoiding cultural appropriate in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, Japan is LOATHED by its neighbours who are currently in the middle of trade wars because of Japan's lack of acknowledgement of it's colonialist past.

I am not even going to comment on trade wars and what the root is. Way above my pay grade.

Sacrosanct

Legend
My grandfather was Italian and he and his brothers all bought a cluster of four house next to each other after the war. I currently still live in what is left of it surrounded by relatives (one of the houses has been sold). So I totally understand what you are saying here. There is definitely comfort in having a tribe (and where I live in Boston, things can be pretty tribal sometimes). But there is also a dark side to the tribe, and I've seen it here as well in that people don't venture out as much and develop limited views of groups beyond their own at times (and in the worse cases you see it in the form of racial violence). We also have gangs here.

FYI, but you might want to avoid using terms like "my tribe" to define things that aren't. Unless you're Jewish and part of the Tribes of Israel, or Native American, that's a term that has been...culturally appropriated. Most Native Americans I know do not approve of that. (along with terms like powwoww, or tipi, or 'going off the rez")

And, Japan is LOATHED by its neighbours who are currently in the middle of trade wars because of Japan's lack of acknowledgement of it's colonialist past.

Again, using Japan as an example of social awareness is not really going to win you any points.

I lived in Korea for 4 years. Yeah, they aren't exactly thrilled with Japan's history of colonialism.

My point wasn't to defend Japanese colonialism (I am very aware of its history). My point was simply that when people point to problematic things like someone wearing a kimono, it often doesn't make sense because a country like Japan was a colonial power and continues to be a very influential culture.

Yes, Japan is a big culture (and so is China). But they aren't the majority culture here, so when someone like Katie Perry dresses up in a kimono and traditional Japanese makeup to sell records, that's still very much cultural appropriation.

Also, re: terms. There was a survey done in the mid 90s. Half of Native Americans preferred the term "Native American" or "American Indian". Half preferred "Indian", and smaller percentages preferred something else. We generally use the term "Native American" or "American Indian" because "Indian" can cause confusion because you may be talking about people from India.

So no, you're not going to get every member of the community to agree with what they want to be called. They aren't a hive mind just like white people aren't a hive mind. That doesn't mean that as a community, that's what they don't want to be called. Those arguments need to die in fire. I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for what they said they want.

Additionally, this hostility towards academia needs to end as well. Education is a good thing. It's where experts and people who have studied the actual topic get together to have discussion. It may not be perfect, but it's exponentially better than a small group of people from rural town X with no college education acting like they know better than people who actually studied the topic. (I'm from rural town X surrounded by family who didn't go to college, so I know full well). It's also a common tactic used by people like Rick Santorum to attack higher education as bad, because in order to keep having people vote for him, they need to be kept ignorant of factual information and only spoon fed propaganda.

FYI, but you might want to avoid using terms like "my tribe" to define things that aren't. Unless you're Jewish and part of the Tribes of Israel, or Native American, that's a term that has been...culturally appropriated. Most Native Americans I know do not approve of that. (along with terms like powwoww, or tipi, or 'going off the rez")

This term was used by a number of other posters before me, and I was responding to its use to refer to people being tribal. I think it was fair. I really don't think using it caused anyone harm.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This term was used by a number of other posters before me, and I was responding to its use to refer to people being tribal. I think it was fair. I really don't think using it caused anyone harm.

Well, that's the crux of the whole issue isn't it? You (general you) not thinking there was any harm in using an aspect of someone else's culture against their wishes and/or even offending them. And it does cause harm, as I've explained several times upthread as to how and why, and cited articles that also explain why.

Derren

Hero
Well, that's the crux of the whole issue isn't it? You (general you) not thinking there was any harm in using an aspect of someone else's culture against their wishes and/or even offending them. And it does cause harm, as I've explained several times upthread as to how and why, and cited articles that also explain why.
Rather you claiming that there is harm without any proof of it while pretending that you speak for a culture while ignoring with your limited horizon that the term tribe is a lot more universal and not owned by native americans (african tribes, slavic tribes, etc.)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Rather you claiming that there is harm without any proof of it while pretending that you speak for a culture while ignoring with your limited horizon that the term tribe is a lot more universal and not owned by native americans (african tribes, slavic tribes, etc.)

How many times do I have to say I'm not speaking for an entire culture, but I'm referencing what they are saying themselves before you stop accusing me of the same lie? I haven't used my words. I've been citing their words. I've given proof. I've cited the direct sources. More than once.

So why do you keep repeating the same lie? Serious question? Do you just not read what I've posted? Do you have some other end goal? Are you just intentionally lying?

Once again, these are the word from the actual cultures impacted (articles like these are all over the place, and super easy to find; they are not just one off opinions or anecdotal experiences):

"Native imagery is everywhere in the United States. Our images, symbols, and cultures are used as commodities and novelties. Natives are used as logos, from butter packaging to cigarettes to baking soda to clothing. Natives are used as Halloween costumes. Native tribe names are used by the U.S. military as names for weapons. Native tribe names are used as names for vehicles. Natives are used as mascots for sports teams.

Racism toward Native people is normalized, so much so that many people do not see it as racism at all. Racist stereotypes of Native people are seemingly ingrained into the psyche of people starting in childhood, some subliminal, some direct.

Most of this Native imagery is constructed and controlled by non-Natives. While there is a constant omnipresence of such imagery, it is severely lacking real Native representation. People see more Native depictions created by non-Natives in media than they do of real Native people. This is how negative stereotypes and misconceptions are formed. This, whether consciously or not, embeds the notion that Native cultures are here for consumption. It suggests it is perfectly normal and acceptable to use Natives for products and profit, and to most people, it is — except to the very people being exploited.

We’re told it’s not a big deal, we’re too sensitive, and that we should worry about bigger issues. What many don’t comprehend is that all of these issues concerning Natives and Native identity actually connect, converge, and come full circle. When we are seen as fictional characters, it dehumanizes us; when we’re not seen as people, the potential for violence toward us increases. "

But this wasn't using an aspect of one culture. Tribal divisions exist in all kinds of groups. Native American tribes are just one kind of tribe. It is a category. It wasn't like I invoked a specific tribe

Derren

Hero
How many times do I have to say I'm not speaking for an entire culture, but I'm referencing what they are saying themselves before you stop accusing me of the same lie? I haven't used my words. I've been citing their words. I've given proof. I've cited the direct sources. More than once.

So why do you keep repeating the same lie? Serious question? Do you just not read what I've posted? Do you have some other end goal? Are you just intentionally lying?

Once again, these are the word from the actual cultures impacted (articles like these are all over the place, and super easy to find; they are not just one off opinions or anecdotal experiences):

"Native imagery is everywhere in the United States. Our images, symbols, and cultures are used as commodities and novelties. Natives are used as logos, from butter packaging to cigarettes to baking soda to clothing. Natives are used as Halloween costumes. Native tribe names are used by the U.S. military as names for weapons. Native tribe names are used as names for vehicles. Natives are used as mascots for sports teams.

Racism toward Native people is normalized, so much so that many people do not see it as racism at all. Racist stereotypes of Native people are seemingly ingrained into the psyche of people starting in childhood, some subliminal, some direct.

Most of this Native imagery is constructed and controlled by non-Natives. While there is a constant omnipresence of such imagery, it is severely lacking real Native representation. People see more Native depictions created by non-Natives in media than they do of real Native people. This is how negative stereotypes and misconceptions are formed. This, whether consciously or not, embeds the notion that Native cultures are here for consumption. It suggests it is perfectly normal and acceptable to use Natives for products and profit, and to most people, it is — except to the very people being exploited.

We’re told it’s not a big deal, we’re too sensitive, and that we should worry about bigger issues. What many don’t comprehend is that all of these issues concerning Natives and Native identity actually connect, converge, and come full circle. When we are seen as fictional characters, it dehumanizes us; when we’re not seen as people, the potential for violence toward us increases. "
No, you have not spoken with "a culture". That is a lie you repeat over and over again because your entire "Argument" (to be generous) depends on your ability to commune with a social construct. Even worse, you claim to speak with a group of constructs as there is no "native american culture". That is just a collective for several different cultures.

You have spoken with a few people who you consider to be part of a culture (which you likely selected because they support your way of thinking, ignoring all dissenters) and now claim that they speak for everyone and you are the herald of their will. But that is not the case.
If you really want to know what "a culture" thinks you have to define who is all part of that culture and then poll them (and i am sure a large part would vote "don't care"). Unless you do that don't pretend to know what a culture wants and speak for it.

Last edited:

Also, re: terms. There was a survey done in the mid 90s. Half of Native Americans preferred the term "Native American" or "American Indian". Half preferred "Indian", and smaller percentages preferred something else. We generally use the term "Native American" or "American Indian" because "Indian" can cause confusion because you may be talking about people from India.

Fair enough, and I have used Native American. I was actually thinking about cultural appropriation, not what people prefer Indian or Native American or Indian American. But if the division is half agree and half disagree with something, I think that shows these kinds of issues are maybe not as cut and dry as you are making them out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads