Serious question - are you going to invest in D&DNext?

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
As I have said in other threads, I will buy the core action, regardless, for completion alone, but I also happen to really dig 5th Ed, sort of the 3rd Ed I always wanted.

DM Howard

Explorer
I don't particularly care whether you buy 5e or ignore it, but as an aside, the 4e VTT fell through because one of the important designers died in a murder-suicide.

I thought that happened after 4E released? The whole digital initiative was supposed to be there on day one. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth regardless. I enjoyed 4E because it broke from the established paradigm, but Next is simply shaping up to now be where I want to be.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I thought that happened after 4E released? The whole digital initiative was supposed to be there on day one. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth regardless. I enjoyed 4E because it broke from the established paradigm, but Next is simply shaping up to now be where I want to be.

It was after the release, but it's not like delays of a few months or so aren't forgivable. I do find it a bit mystifying that the project was so totally derailed and wonder if the man's behavior leading up to his crime was so obsessive over his wife that the project was already moribund before the murder-suicide.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I won't buy it, but then again I didn't purchase 4E. I'll stick with my older versions and retro clones, along with the occasional foray into Castles and Crusades and Pathfinder.

I plan on getting the core books at least. I've done that for every hardcover release since 1st AD&D. Dunno about actually using them, but I will get the books.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I don't particularly care whether you buy 5e or ignore it, but as an aside, the 4e VTT fell through because one of the important designers died in a murder-suicide.
It would be a whole lot more accurate to say that the 4e VTT fell through AND one of the important designers died in a murder-suicide. Which way the causality runs, or whether there was any causality between the two events at all at all, is not information that we're privy to.

silverblade56

First Post
I will most certainly buy the PHB even if it's just a pdf of it. If I end up running it, I'd buy the DMG and MM (or their equivalents) and some adventures or a "Dungeon" subscription (if something like that still exists). If I like it and end up playing it a lot, I will buy more stuff (adventures, minis, splatbooks). Basically, exactly what I have done with Pathfinder.

Remove ads