• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seriously considering Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
As promised, here is the stuff for my ship to ship battles. There's a general rules document as well as a ship "character sheet". There is also a worksheet that has three pages with crit charts, general guidelines on crew requirements and a "crew allocation" sheet. That last bit is something that I thought would be critical in combats but we haven't used it all that much.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Rel said:
As promised, here is the stuff for my ship to ship battles. There's a general rules document as well as a ship "character sheet". There is also a worksheet that has three pages with crit charts, general guidelines on crew requirements and a "crew allocation" sheet. That last bit is something that I thought would be critical in combats but we haven't used it all that much.

I've also noticed that it helps if you, ya know, attach the files.

Attachments

• Pirate Ship Rules.doc
    31 KB · Views: 175
  • Ship Sheet.xls
    20 KB · Views: 141
  • Ship to Ship Hits.xls
    24.5 KB · Views: 116

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Rel said:
I've also noticed that it helps if you, ya know, attach the files.

I'd just like to point out that it is Rel's consummate professionalism and expertise that convinced us to enlist him as a moderator :)

JRR_Talking

First Post
Coincidentally i play my first WHFRP game next week for the first time in about 19 years (i used to play with the GW developers / employees when i lived down the road in nottingham).

My memory is that i didnt enjoy it very much and i cant recall why (well not much). I played loads of different rpg games and its something i never had on my 'i really wanna return to that game list'

I have the character generation summary and it looks way to random to me.
Also i always despised the green orc idea and everything being way too spikey and green and cartoony, or orangey if u r a dwarf.
Mechanically i cant recall much, but i didnt really like the flavour.
It looks like you roll a defence/parry/dodge or somesuch and i see no problem with a game having passive defences that cut out an unneccesary
I also dislike fate point/action point etc ideas. they always read to me as 'the mechanic has too much chance for flukey rolls that have very bad affects so ill add this to add a bit of balance'.
I played a mage last time and got fairly decent 'battle magic' so i figure i must have played it a bit as progress i believe is slow. I figured we played on of the early 'iconic' campaigns.

I see above people say it is simple as there arent 40,000 feats to learn. If it was a big commerical goer, believe me there would be a rapid output of splatbooks.

Guess ill see how it goes next wednesday

John

Last edited:

iron-spyder

First Post
JRR_Talking said:
Coincidentally i play my first WHFRP game next week for the first time in about 19 years (i used to play with the GW developers / employees when i lived down the road in nottingham).

My memory is that i didnt enjoy it very much and i cant recall why (well not much). I played loads of different rpg games and its something i never had on my 'i really wanna return to that game list'

I have the character generation summary and it looks way to random to me.
Also i always despised the green orc idea and everything being way too spikey and green and cartoony, or orangey if u r a dwarf.
Mechanically i cant recall much, but i didnt really like the flavour.
It looks like you roll a defence/parry/dodge or somesuch and i see no problem with a game having passive defences that cut out an unneccesary
I also dislike fate point/action point etc ideas. they always read to me as 'the mechanic has too much chance for flukey rolls that have very bad affects so ill add this to add a bit of balance'.
I played a mage last time and got fairly decent 'battle magic' so i figure i must have played it a bit as progress i believe is slow. I figured we played on of the early 'iconic' campaigns.

I see above people say it is simple as there arent 40,000 feats to learn. If it was a big commerical goer, believe me there would be a rapid output of splatbooks.

Guess ill see how it goes next wednesday

John

You will notice some changes and some elements that have remained the same. The over-the-top cartoonishness of the first edition is pretty much a thing of the past-the imagery is now more grim than it used to be. I don't make players roll randomly for careers because I enjoy running a themed game (gang of thieves/cutthroats, band of mages on the run, mercenaries for hire [which means a group of assorted fighter types], etc) over a randomly generated smorgasbord, although there is nothing wrong with that either.

There are still Fate Points, but the game can be so brutal that they get used up quickly, not just in combat situations, which is nice. ;) However you will see that there are no more alignments, it is just the world and the horrors of Chaos.

Black Industries have really outdone themselves as a game company in a couple of different areas. Firstly by providing excellent online material (obviously not possible in the late 80's) and secondly, they ask the consumers what they want and they listen. When the second edition came out there were two products, one for players and one for GMs, that met with more than a few complaints and suggestions. The folks at BI took the information and produced two more products, one for players and one for GMs, that really shine and have outdone the previous offerings.

I am not going to say that Warhammer is the game for you, it is still brutal, there are elements of horror and it is not like playing DnD; the knights you encounter can be just as bloodthirsty as the orcs that you will run into, and those orcs can serve your head to you on a platter. I hope you like the new edition and it is good that you are giving it another try.

Last edited:

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
warhammer is not like D&D, its brutal, dark and cold, and players will die. or thier characters will (i dont account for LARP nuts) its a great change of pace though for people wanting darker fantasy.

JRR_Talking

First Post
Hmm.

still seems v old fashioned to roll up random stats, get a charcater you may not quite like only to have it die quick / be fated to die cos chaos 'wins'. It does sound like fantasy CoC. i didnt like that either, but that was probably not keen on 20's era USA. Not keen on 'fighting the coming tide for a while, but in the end its hopeless' style of genres.

Dont get me wrong, i currently run a victorian campaign set in 1865 'real' world, not fantasy or tentacled horros, bits spiritualism and mesmerism. It is grim n dirty n smelly but run with as sense of 'hope'. I converted SPI dragonquest as my rules set and that can be fairly lethal.

D&D is very lethal too,. dont know why people think it isnt. Had big discussion on this on a UK rpg forum and chance of dying as starter D&D character is higher than 'chaosium-runequesty stuff'. I have just started playing in someones elses GURPS campaign too, that does seem lethal.

We also all co-GM a low magic D&D game as well. I dont like D&D once you hit 9th or so either.

and do bits of Liv Gre, that is 'ok', 'good' sometimes.

It may be another game system to many to squeeze in!!

Or im too picky n grouchy. I get to play RPG's twice a week while balancing the real world, so i shouldnt complain!!

i roll up n play 'Woof-Rup' in a few days so may report back.

ta for comments

John

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Despite being advertised as super deadly, our group has found that the lethality of Warhammer is not any worse than D&D and is perhaps a bit lower. The "extra lives" afforded by Fate Points seem to make the PC's a bit more durable.

I found that knowing I wouldn't die (by virtue of having one or more Fate Points in the bank) reduced my enjoyment of the game somewhat. When I started my current campaign I divorced the Fate Point mechanic from Fortune Points and kept the number of Fate Points for each character secret.

Since I couldn't tie Fortune Points to Fate Points anymore, I give each character the average Fortune Points for their race each day. I also award "Fortune Coins" (fake plastic pirate coins) when the party accomplishes something impressive. These are identical to Fortune Points except they can be saved up and used when the PC's are in a really desperate situation. They can also be spent to save the lives of valued NPC's (usually officers among the crew of their ship) but that's on a 3:1 ratio.

Also, since I'm running a more "swashbuckling" campaign, I let them spend Fortune Points to do "dramatic edits" where suddenly there is a rope for them to swing from or the enemy they are fighting trips on a coil of rope or steps in a bucket to facilitate things like Maneuvering and Disarming, etc.

The greater availability of Fortune Points no doubt makes the game a bit less deadly but we felt that way even before the house ruling for this campaign. However, since I'm a RBDM, it means I don't feel so bad when I throw extremely tough challenges at them and they burn a Fate Point or two.

Elsenrail

First Post
Do You award them new Fate Points? In our campaign we are given one each 7-8 session - we don't have to make heroic deeds.

Tough challanges? A SEA TROLL? :D

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Elsenrail said:
Do You award them new Fate Points? In our campaign we are given one each 7-8 session - we don't have to make heroic deeds.

Tough challanges? A SEA TROLL? :D

In our games you have to do something amazing to get more fate points. Something BIG that alters the fates of many others. In our last campaign, I think we got 2 total, and one was for saving the life of the next Emperor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads