• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Seriously, why no setting support?

tom.zunder

Explorer
It took 20 minutes to make this thread.

Not comparable.

and I can respond to a thread while I wait for the kettle to boil, or a while cooking, or on my 10 minute break at work, etc.

and it requires vastly less energy to discuss something like that compared to creating and iterating a game element.

And im already building an entire game from the ground up.

And I have a full time job, a wife, and a social life.

So, no. That doesn't solve anything. Thanks.
Why don't you continue to enjoy playing fourth edition?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

delericho

Legend
Just for the sake of weighing in on this, I hate PDFs. I have hated reading ebooks since they became a thing, and have gone for print whenever it was available. I would rather see a printed book of UA than a PDF version of the core books. This is not some grognard who doesn't want change btw, I am millennial. E-books just feel so flat and boring compared to a real thing.

I certainly wouldn't ever replace my hardcopies with PDFs. But for ease of reference, and for travelling, electronic versions are a godsend.

Plus, it's 2016. By this point, availability of electronic versions shouldn't even be in doubt.

delericho

Legend
Why don't you continue to enjoy playing fourth edition?

Lots of people enjoy 5e more than 4e/3e/13th Age/whatever.

Lots of people would enjoy 5e even more than they currently do if it supported their favourite setting/race/class/whatever.

Lots of people find they have more disposable income than they have free time. As such, they would prefer to pay a professional to provide support rather than convert it all themselves.

And since WotC are going to be producing new books (since the alternative is to cancel the game), it's not entirely insane to express the view that some books would be more desirable than others.

tom.zunder

Explorer
Lots of people enjoy 5e more than 4e/3e/13th Age/whatever.

Lots of people would enjoy 5e even more than they currently do if it supported their favourite setting/race/class/whatever.

Lots of people find they have more disposable income than they have free time. As such, they would prefer to pay a professional to provide support rather than convert it all themselves.

And since WotC are going to be producing new books (since the alternative is to cancel the game), it's not entirely insane to express the view that some books would be more desirable than others.
Which is understandable. However the thread is about "no setting support" as if waiting a bit longer and continuing to enjoy 4e for a bit longer...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

delericho

Legend
Which is understandable. However the thread is about "no setting support" as if waiting a bit longer and continuing to enjoy 4e for a bit longer...

It really depends where the break point lies: would you rather play a game you enjoy less but that has built-in support for your preferred setting, or would you rather play a game you enjoy more but have to adapt the setting?

Different people will answer that differently. But an even better solution is not to have to answer it at all - if the game you prefer also has built-in support for the preferred setting.

delericho

Legend
Dragonlance Adventures is now available in POD; latter developments are irrelevant, based on what the DMG has to say on the topic of Dragonlance. How many pages of race/subclass info are needed to make that fully useable?

It's been a while since I read it, but as I recall "Dragonlance Adventures" was actually a fairly poor book - it took a snapshot of the setting from immediately after the Legends trilogy, that being the point after the world-defining conflict had largely been resolved.

The licensed 3e books were, IMO, rather better, in that there were several different "era guides" supporting people in playing whenever they wanted in the timeline. Of course, those are also on DMsG, and so hopefully will be PoD soon enough...

(In terms of mechanical support, Dragonlance doesn't need a huge amount - there are a couple of playable races, but that's about it. Naturally, like almost any setting, there are things it might benefit from.)

jasper

Rotten DM
"People"? I'm a "people"! And I think its quick and easy.
Well not really Corwin. Due to a rift in the time canon cannon, you fell thru the multiverse into this universe, just as you were born. You are really an orc troll hybrid which a passing time wizard call ElmGandolf cause a disguise spell on.:)

Remove ads