Setting specific class ability and Alternate Class Features

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm playing a Druid in the Dark Sun setting published on athas.org.
Because of the fitting flavour, I'm taking the alternate class features of the Waste Druid from Sandstorm.
However, the Druid from Dark Sun as described in the athas.org sourcebook gets 'Nature’s Speech' at fourth level instead of 'Resist Nature's lure'.
The Sandstorm Waste Druid replaces 'Resist Nature's Lure' by 'Heat Endurance'.

Questions:
1. would you consider the Dark Sun druid to be eligible for the 'Heat Endurance' ACF of the Waste Druid?
2. would you allow a player in Dark Sun to ignore the Dark Sun druid and use the Waste Druid instead?
3. would you allow a player to play the Dark Sun Druid and only use some of the options from the Waste Druid?
4. would you allow a player to use some of the Dark sun Druid and some of the Waste Druid options?

Elaboration appreciated.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
While I'm not familiar with the Dark Sun Druid variant, I'd consider anything in the "alternate class ability" management to fall under the category of "Whatever you and your DM can agree upon".

Regarding ACFs, there is no requirement whatsoever to take all of them presented in Sandstorm.

I'd freely allow using any of those ACFs between Sandstorm and Dark Sun. They don't unbalance the game at all, and in fact make the character more flavorful and fluffy. Were you playing for me, I'd absolutely allow you to take the Heat Endurance ACF in place of the Nature's Speech ability, if that's what you wanted to do. Or you could take the other Sandstorm ACFs and have Nature's Speech instead of the Heat Endurance.

In short, I'd allow 4. Mix and match as you see fit because no combination will be problematic.

Remove ads