D&D General 6 Core Classes: You are in charge

Sometimes less is more. ;)
I think my problem with previous minimalist attempts was that they always centered the "original 4" classes, which I don't think are quite the right basis for a minimalist approach to classes, and I think to reflect D&D's cool classes and characters over the years you do need more like 6 starting points than 3 or 4, but you can definitely make minimalism or maximalism work to some degree.

ezo

I cast invisibility
I think my problem with previous minimalist attempts was that they always centered the "original 4" classes, which I don't think are quite the right basis for a minimalist approach to classes, and I think to reflect D&D's cool classes and characters over the years you do need more like 6 starting points than 3 or 4, but you can definitely make minimalism or maximalism work to some degree.
While I think you could do just 3, I agree that for me allowing the combinations of those three pretty much covers everthing. For example, the 5E classes might break down as:

Expert
Rogue

Spellcaster
Cleric (?)
Sorcerer
Wizard

Warrior
Barbarian
Fighter

E / S
Druid

E / W
Monk
Ranger (?)

S / W
Cleric (?)
Paladin
Warlock

E / S / W
Bard
Ranger (?)

Of course some classes fall into the categories easier than others. But you get the general idea.

While I think you could do just 3, I agree that for me allowing the combinations of those three pretty much covers everthing. For example, the 5E classes might break down as:

Expert
Rogue

Spellcaster
Cleric (?)
Sorcerer
Wizard

Warrior
Barbarian
Fighter

E / S
Druid

E / W
Monk
Ranger (?)

S / W
Cleric (?)
Paladin
Warlock

E / S / W
Bard
Ranger (?)

Of course some classes fall into the categories easier than others. But you get the general idea.
Worlds Without Number takes an approach a lot like this, but what it shows is, if you really want to do certain classes with only three broad base classes, you do in the end need specialized classes to do some of them. It has a whole bunch later on in the paid version. You can cover a lot of concepts with three and MCing though.

Remathilis

Legend
Sometimes less is more. ;)
But... Is it?

What I see is "I think concept X, Y And Z should be rolled into a generic, flexible Uberclass that can do all that and more." Usually, it's some mixture of subclasses, feats, class choice points and spells that act to replicate the abilities we think they should have.

What I rarely see is true choice removal. Like, the druid doesn't deserve to be a class and wild shape/nature magic gone. Actually, I tend to see the opposite; swashbucklers and channelers and warlords added to the mix, but don't call them classes.

I just think that saying "I want a fighter class, but I want to replicate the monk, barbarian, ranger and warlord too" feels like pie in the sky. At best, you get a bunch of watered down signature abilities from full classes added to a bland generic default class, which is barely better than a classless system to begin with.

I think it would be an interesting, but different, topic to see what D&D archetypes people would utterly obliterate from the game: no mechanical support of any kind. A barbarian? Pick a fighter and choose a nature background. That's it.

ezo

I cast invisibility
But... Is it?

What I see is "I think concept X, Y And Z should be rolled into a generic, flexible Uberclass that can do all that and more." Usually, it's some mixture of subclasses, feats, class choice points and spells that act to replicate the abilities we think they should have.
That is exactly what it is. But the features of subclasses, feats, etc. don't "replicate the abilities", the grant the abilities. That might not be what you meant by "replicate", so I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

Also, personally everything you need to create the feel for the concept you want to play should be in the subclass, and not rely on feats or spells to give those abilities.

What I rarely see is true choice removal. Like, the druid doesn't deserve to be a class and wild shape/nature magic gone. Actually, I tend to see the opposite; swashbucklers and channelers and warlords added to the mix, but don't call them classes.
I think it depends on the degree of overarching reach for the class, and then how much gets regulated to the subclass.

I just think that saying "I want a fighter class, but I want to replicate the monk, barbarian, ranger and warlord too" feels like pie in the sky. At best, you get a bunch of watered down signature abilities from full classes added to a bland generic default class, which is barely better than a classless system to begin with.
I understand this point. The signature abilities don't have to be watered down, however. I like to think of it this way: instead of the core class providing the bulk to the concept, and the subclass the finishing touches, it is reversed: the core class provides general features common to many concepts, the subclasses really nail down the distinctions.

Now, admittedly with the Cleric/Warlock and Wizard/Sorcerer subclasses, we didn't do that, but that is because 5E uses the first model. If we completely revamped all the classes, it would be more like the second option.

I think it would be an interesting, but different, topic to see what D&D archetypes people would utterly obliterate from the game: no mechanical support of any kind. A barbarian? Pick a fighter and choose a nature background. That's it.
LOL it is funny you mentioned Barbarian. We've felt for a LONG time now that is should be a background choice. So, you could have a Cleric (priest, etc.) who comes from "barbarian tribes", or a Ranger, etc.

Remathilis

Legend
That is exactly what it is. But the features of subclasses, feats, etc. don't "replicate the abilities", the grant the abilities. That might not be what you meant by "replicate", so I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

Also, personally everything you need to create the feel for the concept you want to play should be in the subclass, and not rely on feats or spells to give those abilities.
Yes, by "replicate" I mean "create characters similar to older edition classes." A "barbarian" subclass for the fighter should feel like its trying to be the same barbarian from 3e-5e with rage, agility, brutal strike, etc. A fighter who has a "monk" subclass should be able to go around doing kung-fu acrobatics and using spirit power.
I think it depends on the degree of overarching reach for the class, and then how much gets regulated to the subclass.

Well, that begs the question of how big or important a subclass should be. Currently, a subclass holds about four abilities (give or take). Is four abilities enough to define a barbarian? a paladin? a monk? Even if you somehow fit the core class concept into four abilities, we are surrendering further specialties. What do we do with the Oath of the Ancients Paladin, the Warrior of Shadow Monk, or the Path of the Storm Herald Barbarian?

If four cannot replicate a druid, let alone a Circle of Dreams Druid, how many abilities will? 8? 10? 12? At what point is the subclass basically just being the class?

I understand this point. The signature abilities don't have to be watered down, however. I like to think of it this way: instead of the core class providing the bulk to the concept, and the subclass the finishing touches, it is reversed: the core class provides general features common to many concepts, the subclasses really nail down the distinctions.

Now, admittedly with the Cleric/Warlock and Wizard/Sorcerer subclasses, we didn't do that, but that is because 5E uses the first model. If we completely revamped all the classes, it would be more like the second option.

They will have to be watered down to be balanced. The Druid was build around wild shape being a primary feature of the class; you can't just give it to cleric and expect it to work. The same thing with rage, or unarmed combat, or paladin smite. They would all end up being toned down to fit within the chassis of the parent class.

LOL it is funny you mentioned Barbarian. We've felt for a LONG time now that is should be a background choice. So, you could have a Cleric (priest, etc.) who comes from "barbarian tribes", or a Ranger, etc.

Barbarian the class and barbaric backgrounds are again two different ways to expressing the same concept. 5e currently lets us do that because 5e allows for a lot of redundancy in builds. Stripping that away doesn't make thing larger, it forces the options to fall into specific niches.

A very important design rule of thumb is that for most players, if there isn't a mechanical expression, it doesn't exist. There is a large swath of players who do not (for a variety of reasons) refluff things. For example, the lack of a "witch" in D&D means most people don't believe a witch character is playable in D&D despite Tasha being RIGHT THERE! There is no mechanical support of the concept (be it class, subclass, feat, or background) and therefore, a person who might have wanted to play a witch if the option is presented won't because the option isn't presented, and the player can't or won't "make one".

That isn't an excuse to make a class (or other mechanic) for every concept under the sun, but it does show that a concept that isn't represented in the rules somewhere is a concept that doesn't exist in the game for lots of players. We should be careful when assuming a player will look at a fighter class and say "hmmmm... how and I make this into a barbarian?" Because for many, it will never cross their mind to do, it, they won't know how to do it, or the DM won't allow them the leeway needed to do it.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Yes, by "replicate" I mean "create characters similar to older edition classes." A "barbarian" subclass for the fighter should feel like its trying to be the same barbarian from 3e-5e with rage, agility, brutal strike, etc. A fighter who has a "monk" subclass should be able to go around doing kung-fu acrobatics and using spirit power.
Cool. It sounds like we're on the same page.

Well, that begs the question of how big or important a subclass should be. Currently, a subclass holds about four abilities (give or take). Is four abilities enough to define a barbarian? a paladin? a monk? Even if you somehow fit the core class concept into four abilities, we are surrendering further specialties. What do we do with the Oath of the Ancients Paladin, the Warrior of Shadow Monk, or the Path of the Storm Herald Barbarian?
Right, in the current 5E design 4-5 is basically it. When you consider few games reach higher levels at all, that number is really just 2-3 in reality.

If I went with the few core classes, obviously the subclasses would have to carry the bulk of the features.

If four cannot replicate a druid, let alone a Circle of Dreams Druid, how many abilities will? 8? 10? 12? At what point is the subclass basically just being the class?
Sure, it is a balancing act between the two. We know you can go overboard in either direction. Frankly, every subclass could be its own class, but there would be a ton of overlap so that isn't advisable IMO.

They will have to be watered down to be balanced. The Druid was build around wild shape being a primary feature of the class; you can't just give it to cleric and expect it to work. The same thing with rage, or unarmed combat, or paladin smite. They would all end up being toned down to fit within the chassis of the parent class.
With the current system, I get that. But I don't really think things need to be nerfed that much.

Barbarian the class and barbaric backgrounds are again two different ways to expressing the same concept. 5e currently lets us do that because 5e allows for a lot of redundancy in builds. Stripping that away doesn't make thing larger, it forces the options to fall into specific niches.
But if you had a better barbarian background, used it with a Warrior (class) and "Brute/Berserker/etc." subclass, I think it would work well.

And then it offers greater flexibility because background can become a more meaninfgul decision point. You could make a Barbarian (background)/ Warrior (class)/ Scout (subclass) or a Barbarian/ Priest/ Druid combo.

A very important design rule of thumb is that for most players, if there isn't a mechanical expression, it doesn't exist. There is a large swath of players who do not (for a variety of reasons) refluff things. For example, the lack of a "witch" in D&D means most people don't believe a witch character is playable in D&D despite Tasha being RIGHT THERE! There is no mechanical support of the concept (be it class, subclass, feat, or background) and therefore, a person who might have wanted to play a witch if the option is presented won't because the option isn't presented, and the player can't or won't "make one".
Unfortunately, this is true. I has long bothered me and most of the people I play with. You don't need mechanics to play a particular concept, just play your PC that way. In 1E, for example, if you wanted to play a Pirate, you took either the Fighter or Thief, choose appropriate armor, weapons, and proficiencies to finish the look, and then PLAY your PC as you imagine your pirate would act.

Now, with the idea of reskinning existing options, it is even easier. Showing how this is possible in the PHB would have helped a lot of players IMO.

That isn't an excuse to make a class (or other mechanic) for every concept under the sun, but it does show that a concept that isn't represented in the rules somewhere is a concept that doesn't exist in the game for lots of players. We should be careful when assuming a player will look at a fighter class and say "hmmmm... how and I make this into a barbarian?" Because for many, it will never cross their mind to do, it, they won't know how to do it, or the DM won't allow them the leeway needed to do it.
Yeah, you aren't wrong. But again by reinforcing it as an option, demonstrating how it works by examples, etc. I think more players might embrace it now they are aware of it, see how it is done, and can hopefully work with their DM to achieve it.

5E made a big mistake similarly with backgrounds. SO many times I've had new players think they have to choose a background presented, not realizing that customizing backgrounds should really be the norm, and all the backgrounds shown are simply examples.

In the game we're developing as a 5E-related RPG, currently backgrounds comprise of a skill proficiency and two tools (includes languages and others) which the player can pick as they choose, along with two +1 attribute (i.e. ability) increases, also choosen to taste.

Str: the heavy (barbarian/str fighter)
Dex: Swashbuckler (rogue/spellless ranger/dex fighter
Con: Dedicated(cleric/paladin/warlock/sorcerer) (more con = more spirits bound = more invocations)
Int: Spellcrafter (wizard/artificer)
Wis: the Attuned (druid/monk)
Cha: Mesmer (bard/psion)

I would just add in automatic multiclassing at level 5 or so.

If it doesn't need to say Dungeons & Dragons on the cover, I'd go with elements instead:

Str: Metal
Dex: Water
Con: Earth
Int: Air
Wis: Wood
Cha: Fire

Remove ads