Several Rules Questions

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
In our gaming session last night, several questions came up. I was hoping that you would be able to help me with the answers.

1) Can you metamagic a domain spell? If so, does this metamagicked spell take up a higher-level domain slot or just a higher-level spell slot?

2) The Inquisition Prestige Domain's granted power is a +4 bonus to dispel checks. (This domain can be found in Defenders of the Faith.) Is this bonus affected by the +10 cap on Dispel Magic checks? The spell description makes it seem like +10 is the most that you can get from caster levels only. In other words, would a 10th level Cleric/Inquisitor who casts Dispel Magic have +10 or +14 to his dispel check?

3) When you cast a Summon Monster spell (or any other spell with a casting time of 'one full round') while hasted, does the spell go into effect on that turn? Do you still get the extra partial action?

4)How many free actions can you take in a round? I realize that it's unreasonable to have unlimited free actions in one round, but my DM seems to think that you can perform only one. I can't find an official ruling either way, so what do you think is a reasonable number? Or is there an official ruling that I've missed?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
RogueJK said:
1) Can you metamagic a domain spell? If so, does this metamagicked spell take up a higher-level domain slot or just a higher-level spell slot?

As far as I know, you can metamagic a domain spell, but it requires a higher level domain slot.

RogueJK said:
2) The Inquisition Prestige Domain's granted power is a +4 bonus to dispel checks. (This domain can be found in Defenders of the Faith.) Is this bonus affected by the +10 cap on Dispel Magic checks? The spell description makes it seem like +10 is the most that you can get from caster levels only. In other words, would a 10th level Cleric/Inquisitor who casts Dispel Magic have +10 or +14 to his dispel check?

It's a bonus to the check, not caster level, so it isn't affected by the +10 cap.

RogueJK said:
3) When you cast a Summon Monster spell (or any other spell with a casting time of 'one full round') while hasted, does the spell go into effect on that turn? Do you still get the extra partial action?

This was clarified some time ago, but for the life of me, I can't recall how it works...

RogueJK said:
4)How many free actions can you take in a round? I realize that it's unreasonable to have unlimited free actions in one round, but my DM seems to think that you can perform only one. I can't find an official ruling either way, so what do you think is a reasonable number? Or is there an official ruling that I've missed?

More than one, but less than infinite. Personally, at most one free action spell, a possible free action to speak without waiting for a response, dropping a weapon, drawing a weapon with Quick Draw... I generally tend to wing it based on what the character wants to do, and not use a hard and fast rule, except for at most one spell as a free action.

kreynolds

First Post
RogueJK said:
The spell description makes it seem like +10 is the most that you can get from caster levels only. In other words, would a 10th level Cleric/Inquisitor who casts Dispel Magic have +10 or +14 to his dispel check?

You need Greater Dispelling to break the +10 cap, I think.

RogueJK said:

Yes and yes.

RogueJK said:

In regards to how many free actions you can perform in a round, the books pretty much leave that up to the DM. Though speaking is generally unlimited, so long as you don't attempt to give a long-winded speach. :) You can only cast one free action spell (quickened) per round. I generally allow 1 free action of a given type per round, which means that you can cast a quickened spell, speak, activate a free action magic item, and draw your weapons (but only if using non-magical means to do so, such as quickdraw).

RogueJK said:

Wow. I honestly don't have a clue! :) Sorry. I'm not really up on my game when it comes to clerics.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
1) Yes you can but it does take up the domain spell for the new level unless the spell is also on the normal cleric spell chart.

2) THe +4 is in addition to your level. The ten is your level limit, the +4 is something different so it stacks.

3) Yes, as long as the partial action is after the full round spell is cast. THat seems to me the only way it would happen that round.

4) Up to the DM. It would be hard to get more then 4 in a normal round though.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Crothian said:
1) Yes you can but it does take up the domain spell for the new level unless the spell is also on the normal cleric spell chart.

Where is this found? It would be a lot of help if I knew.

Crothian

First Post
RogueJK said:

Where is this found? It would be a lot of help if I knew.

I can't find where it talks about meta magicaing domain spells specifically. However, since domain spells can only be taking with the domain spell slot, it seems only reasonible that a second level domain spell that is Quicken take up the sixth level Domain spell slot. It does leave the 2nd level domain spell slot open for something at least.

Edit: Or perhaps the problem was I didn't complete my thought. The unless it's on the normal cleric chart was to mean that it can take up a normal spell level slot and not the domain slot.

Last edited:

Nareau

Explorer
Some different answers

I've never seen a rule on this, but here's my opinion. I would allow a Domain Slot to be filled by a Metamagicked Domain Spell of the correct level. So a 5th level cleric with the Strength and Protection domains could replace Magic Vestment (his 3rd level Strength domain spell) with a Silent Shield Other (his 2nd level Protection domain spell). He could then prepare a normal Bull's Strength (Str 2 domain) or Shield Other (Prot 2 domain) to fill his 2nd level Domain Slot. I don't think this would hurt anything gamewise, but I might be wrong. It would allow someone who doesn't like a particular domain spell to be more flexible (in my example, this cleric will have considerably more options when he gets 4th level spells. Str 4 and Prot 4 domain spells are both Spell Immunity. He could, for example, prepare a Heightened Sanctuary as his 4th level domain spell.)

Again, I don't know of any rule that specifically addresses this. I would argue that he gets a +14, simply because of the way it's worded. If it said, "The caster casts Dispel Magic as though he were a caster of 4 levels higher," I would say the +10 cap would remain.

I know I've seen the Sage address this, but I can't find a link. Can someone help me out here?
I think it's reasonable to say that such a spell would indeed take effect immediately. The monster would appear at the end of your action, and be able to act. However, you would not get your extra partial action. Obviously not everyone will agree with me (or the Sage, or anyone else). But I think that's a fair solution.

Ah-HA! Finally, something I can answer with a page reference!
PHB, 121
Free Action: Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort, and over the span of the round, their impact is so minor that they are considered free. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, the DM puts reasonable limits on what you can really do for free. For instance, calling out to your friends for help is free. Reciting yor clan's war history, however, takes several minutes.
So yeah, it's up to the DM. Remember though, that technically you can't take Free Actions all the time. It has to be while taking another action...which generally means it has to be your turn. However, experience shows that people often are able to cry out when they're being hit with a sword (despite the fact that it's not their turn!)

Sorry for all the conjecture and speculation.

Remove ads