• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sexuality in your games.

Mycanid

First Post
ahhh el-remmen. Apologies. Didn't mean to say what I said the way you say the humor in it. :)

The ancient Greek word for the type of friendship we strove to develop (and had to a certain degree) between each other was not "eros" but "philia". Philia is very different from just "friendship" of "having friends" too.

There's a HUGE difference between them, of course (i.e. eros and philia). Somehow people today think that just because a bunch of guys like to spend time together means they are somehow sexually interested in each other, but for us this was farthest from the truth. Same thing exists between women among women.

Amongst men and women it can pop up but is pretty rare. If it does pop up it usually develops into other things soon.

This was one of greatest results of the rp'ing experience amongst us all - the growing of this reality amongst us all towards each other. When the ladies came amongst us they just didn't mesh with the dynamic. However, one of my friends (my best friend) recently got involved with a lady who herself is an intense rp'er, and while I cannot speak for the dynamic amongst them all out of the game setting, within it they seem to all get along very well together.

But again, I am addressing a specific situation and a specific dynamic. Not everyone has that same type. But in this type of rp'ing dynamic the question of sexuality just was not terribly important or high on the "hierachy of values" I guess.

In general, though, I would agree with Shadow Denizen's summation:

"That said, I don't think including gay characters necessarily makes a world more "believable"; world-building is dependent on many things, and sexuality is (IMO) a very miniscule part of that."

It has a place - but there is so much more to make it believable and more real, in my experience.

Last edited:

Malanath

Explorer
Wow, thanks Fusangite you've given me a lot to think on.

In general I snagged a lot of my ideas from various historical time periods and cultures. So if it reminds you of one culture or another, it's probably because that's where I got the idea. :D

Thanks for all the suggested areas of investigation, I'm gonna go give them a look.

I haven't used the Separate Spheres model as you have suggested, but I am going to do some research into it. (Google is a friend to us all.)

I would like to stop you here. Your society is seeming a little too flat. In other words, your aristocrats and your commoners are perilously culturally similar. Generally, adolescent marriage and arranged marriage, like early literacy (above) have tended to be common aristocratic customs that have rarely filtered-down to lower levels of society.

Actually, the Nobility is rather different from the common folk. This response also ties into your comments regarding the Church's role in society... I think I should perhaps explain things in more depth.

To understand how the nobility works you will need to understand a bit of Imperial History. Humanity for much of it's time in existence, has found itself enslaved by one superior race or another. First it was a snake like race known as the Sslithar, then it was the Elves who emerged to fill the huge power vacuum after the Sslithar mysteriously disappeared or died out. The Elves dominated Humanity for nearly 20,000 years and during that time is when many of the demi-human races were forged such as the Orcs.

The Elves of the time also conjured up Demonic beings and made pacts with them to gain more power. This is how another race was formed, the Nephilim. It was during this time that Humanity was finally managing to have some success against the Elves and small independent human kingdoms began to emerge. The Elves were slow to breed and were immortal due to their bond with a sacred tree.

It is believed by Humanity that during this time a Human king emerged to fight the Elves, defeated the Demonic forces of the world and killed the sacred tree that the Elves were bound too. This in turn resulted in near instantaneous death for nearly the entire Elven race. Once their tree had been destroyed many of them died with it.

Eventually, many years after this Humans death, a Human cult arose venerating this hero of humanity as chosen by their God, and they prophesied that he and his descendants would eventually rule the world. They also claimed to be the keepers of his ancient bloodline.

Many cults too many various gods prospered as Humanity eventually emerged from the dark ages of slavery. Kingdoms formed, warred, traded, and eventually faded away as new Kingdoms appeared to take their place.

Overtime this cult that I mentioned gained a consistent number of followers, they were never really mainstream though. Until a time period when Humanity began to face a new threat: themselves. Humans eventually began to be born with the talent for magic, as all those who can use magic in my world have the talent inborn in them. In the beginning those with the talent were either weak in the use of magic or were powerful enough to prove deadly to themselves and those around them.

This eventually lead to the formation of certain groups which studied magic, and some of them as is human tendency, developed magic as an instrument of war and used it for their personal conquest. This eventually lead to the War of the Magi, which ended badly - culminating in a regional semi-apocalyptic type event. (Such things really never do go well do they? Heh.)

Afterward those who did not have magic were able to rise up against those who did and the typical result was to slaughter them. It was during this time that more and more people started looking toward this cult that I mentioned earlier.

Fast-forward 150 or so years. War of the Magi has ended, humanity is picking up the pieces and rebuilding. In comes a charismatic individual, a strong political figure and a military genius. He had just inherited a small kingdom which his father had forged. He became determined to expand his kingdom, but he lacked many things... resources, political power, military power. So he had to overcome these obstacles and he did. His first was to reach out to the cult, and struck a bargain with them: They would become the official religion of his Kingdom provided that they could "prove" that he could trace his lineage back to the hero that they venerated. This was accomplished. His second was to reach out to magi, who at the time were hunted throughout the human world. If you were even suspected of magical abilities during this time you were likely strung up a tree as fast as someone could capture you and tie the knots to make the noose. Really, they weren't going to risk fancy trials - paranoia reigned supreme.

This upstart King offered anyone who had magical abilities amnesty in his Kingdom provided that they swear loyalty to him and his crown. Mages throughout the world, of course, flocked to a place where they could live their lives without fear of being murdered. Through the mages and the cult he was able to expand his kingdom greatly - which would eventually continue to expand for several more generations until most of the known world was conquered.

Now, this brought about the formation of the three pillars of power in society: The Nobility, the Church and the Imperial Shadows. The Imperial Shadows is the only official sanctioned organization for those who use magic. They get their name from the fact that they shadow all those with power, literally. There are six imperial shadows to either side of the Emperor; every noble house has at least one Imperial Shadow living among them. They serve the Emperor as spies, informants and in rare cases even function as the voice of the Emperor himself. They also serve as very effective bodyguards against those who would do harm to the nobility. (A huge part of the success of the Empire is laid directly at the feet of the Imperial Shadows.)

The Church and the Nobility are heavily linked together. The Church decides who has noble blood and who does not, and noble blood is determined by who and who isn't related to the hero I first mentioned. The Church has changed a lot since its early days, although they would maintain that nothing has ever changed. Nobility is divided up by High Nobility and Low Nobility. Low Nobility typically serve as regional powers (such as dukes and local lords) and High Nobility ranges from the Imperial Family down to Governors of various provinces.

Young Noble Children once they reach the age of three or four are sent off to various branches of the Church to be educated. Their education lasts until they are around the age of 14 to 16. From there they are sent back to their families who have arranged their marriage typically for political gain or to marry someone with more noble blood than their family.

The male/female social structure is much less well defined among the Nobility than the commoners, and women can wield considerable power.

The society is by and large a patriarchal society, and although commoners typically have polygynist relationships (where one man is married to more than one woman), the nobility form mostly monogamous relationships. There are exceptions among the very High Nobility and the very Low Nobility, however. There is no law or rule that outlaws having more than one wife, it is just generally not preferred (by the women).

Also among the nobility women wield considerably more power than their commoner counterparts and this is due to them being freed from child raising as their children are often taken care of for them.

In the end the lives of Nobles are almost totally different from the lives of commoners. The Church often acts as a buffer between the two.

---

To answer your other questions:
Why would this be the case? Do they have a role in choosing wives?

In what sense? I'm assuming it's the husband who does the courting and the choosing.

Hmmm, after you made some of your points you are correct. However, allow me to better explain what I was saying above. The society as a whole is more or less patriarchal. For commoners and for nobility their families often choose their first wives for them. They typically have little to no choice in it, although they *do* have the right to refuse; the parents also have the right to say, "Well to bad, you're marrying him/her anyway!"

After marriage, they are considered to be an entirely separate family unit. From this point onward to have another wife, the male of the relationship is approached by another male with a daughter. If the male of the relationship is interested in his daughter, then the wife *also* has to agree to the marriage. Understand that women, quite literally, rule the home. If she were to say, "That harlot isn't stepping foot into my home." Well, that's that. Of course, the man may intimidate her, or try and coax her into allowing him to have another wife... things of that nature. But both have to agree to have the new wife. Once she is accepted, if the Husband wanted to take on a third wife, the previous two have to be in agreement with her. So on and so on. (Logically speaking, you're not going to get more than three wives unless you are seriously dominating the women of your household.)

Having more than one wife is beneficial. More wives means more hands around the house. A typical household may have up to eight to twelve children... and unless your a woman who wants to conceive your husbands twelve children you'd give serious consideration to sharing your home with at least one other woman. Also, understand that women don't have the type of medical care that they do currently. There is a high infant mortality rate, as well as a higher rate of having miscarriages. Therefore, a single woman could easily spend the bulk of her life being pregnant; having multiple wives helps alleviate that pressure somewhat.

Also, understand that courtship is typically involved in taking more than one wife. It isn't quite the same as a first arranged marriage. A daughter has to be offered to the male first, although a male may offer to give some type of dowry to "purchase" another mans daughter. There would be meetings between the potential wife and the current wife, and they would get to know each other before marriage.

Typically speaking there are very likely to be strong power struggles among the women, but there will also be women who become good - perhaps even best - friends. It is those type of relationships which would likely lead to same sex intercourse between married women.

Also consider this scenario: There are three women married to a single man. One woman, the original wife, engages the third wife in a sexual relationship. In this culture this is in effect showing a great deal of love and affection toward that woman. This may alienate or upset the second wife, which may cause a rivalry between her and the third wife. (The old "Why does she love her more than me?" story.) Which may in turn have the second wife trying to seek to gain the attention and affection of the first wife…. or things could get even more complex.

At the end of the day, once you are in a marriage you are stuck in it. There really is no way of getting out - there is no sanctioned divorce except for incest (a parent having sex with a child) or having sex outside of the marriage (a woman sleeps with another man, or a man sleeping with another woman). Outside of those two major things it is until "death do us part"... literally. If you want a divorce your only recourse would be to get it sanctioned from the Church - which is a long drawn out process, that will most likely be flatly rejected.

Anyway, let me wind down this insanely long post. My society is not set in stone and is still evolving. I am considering other things you have said and pointed out. I hope that some of the stuff I have written here helps make things more clear… or confusing depending on how well I have done explaining it.

fusangite

First Post
Oryan77 said:
I find it extremely boring dealing with subject matter in-game the way you seem to enjoy it. I deal with enough of that reading the news and living life.
Evidently you're reading different newspapers than I am.
I'll stick with freeing slaves and running from Drow raiders instead of wondering why the 2 male Gnomes have their arms around each other. But then again, we weren't supposed to be discussing who's gaming preferences we found boring. :\
Wow! Just imagine if you could do both -- have both adventure and an alien culture! I don't really get where this "or" is coming from.
I was about to give a reply to your last post & answer the questions you asked me, but....
you can't really formulate a response because your claims about Malanath have no basis in reality?
this is why you'll get no further responses from me on this subject.....I guess you win! ;)
So it's news to you, three iterations into our correspondence, that we're having a debate? What did you think we were doing before?

Oryan77

Adventurer
Anyway...

Good luck on the campaign Malanath. You give a lot more thought to background detail in your campaign than I do. I admire that :)

Creatiing motivation for each organization in my world is about as far as I get; whether it's the law, factions, guilds, rulership, or mobs. I've never thought about detailing things like family structure in the world. It makes me wonder what roleplaying opportunities that could give me.

Aikuchi

Transient
Darn you, Malanath!

(shakes fist!)

Now, I want to play in your game! :D

ps:
Some of the marraiges,- 1st wife has to agree about choice on 2nd wife and so foth, rivalries in between and chances of getting more heirs thru multiple wifes ... hmmm, perhaps it because of my own ethnic background - but its eerily similar to the arranged chinese and malay marriages where I live.
As for silksokai- nice :D A large number of the gay people I've come to know in my area will consider marraige for the purpose of having a family but identify themselves as homosexual. Those things seem separate in a way. After marriage (rarely divroce but its an option), they just begin quieter personal intimate relationships outside the marriage. The husbands with other men, and if the wife knows (or is a lesbian herself); with another woman.

BTW: whats GLASS?

Last edited:

Malanath

Explorer
Aikuchi-

Thanks. :D

Some of the marraiges,- 1st wife has to agree about choice on 2nd wife and so foth, rivalries in between and chances of getting more heirs thru multiple wifes ... hmmm, perhaps it because of my own ethnic background - but its eerily similar to the arranged chinese and malay marriages where I live.
I'm actually using a dowry system that is somewhat similar to a dowry found in traditional Chinese culture. The purpose of a dowry is to secure funds for the young families future. While the life of a traditional female is within the sphere of family and the home, the sphere of the male is to provide and protect the family. If the husband's family cannot offer a sufficient dowry and the bride's family must offer a dowry it is considered a high dishonor for the husband. (As he would be forced to live off of his wife's funds.)

It is also considered a highly charitable act (and one that earns honor) for a more well to do family to put up a dowry for a husband so that he can provide for his new family and his first wife. Of course if the husband is honorable he will consider himself indebted to whoever paid his dowry, and will feel honor bound to somehow pay it back.

Dowries are also one shot deals and aren't paid overtime by the family. Also, it is customary for the brides family to offer a smaller dowry, at least half the size of the husbands dowry, although this isn't necessary, especially if the husbands dowry is large enough to support the family.

There are varying degrees of the custom which vary depending on the region of the empire that you live, the new families status within society, and whether they live in an urban or a rural area.

As for silksokai- nice A large number of the gay people I've come to know in my area will consider marraige for the purpose of having a family but identify themselves as homosexual. Those things seem separate in a way. After marriage (rarely divroce but its an option), they just begin quieter personal intimate relationships outside the marriage. The husbands with other men, and if the wife knows (or is a lesbian herself); with another woman.
This would certainly be true for some silksokai, as all men and women are expected to get married and have children. Not everyone does, of course, but getting out of marriage is extremely difficult. The easiest way is joining the Imperial Church.

The Silksokai also serve a greater purpose than just "really good friends between men". Being someone's silksokai is literally - I could never stress this enough - a marriage between two families. One mans honor is literally bound to the other mans honor. If your silksokai is somehow dishonored then by extension so are you. If someone slays your silksokai then you are honor bound to make sure that justice is done to his murderer. (Which would typically mean hunting down the murderer and killing him.) If your silksokai dies then you are honor bound to take care of his wives and his children.

Of course, by the same token if you dishonor your silksokai - such as by sleeping with one of his wives, he is honor bound to kill you. (This wouldn't be considered against the law.) The bonds of honor between silksokai is extraordinarily complex and deep. It's one of the reasons that allowing members of a silksokai to have sex made perfect sense.

I am still developing the honor system, and I am using eastern philosophical concepts of shame and honor for it, with a particular focus on the Japanese culture.

Arnwyn

First Post
Malanath said:
I'm not interested in opinions on the subject, I am interested in your personal experiences or how you would react or feel.
Okay.

I am interested in hearing about the experiences of others in the community. Have you DMed or played in any games in which there were gay / bi-sexual NPC's or PC's?
No.

fusangite

First Post
Malanath said:
To understand how the nobility works you will need to understand a bit of Imperial History. Humanity for much of it's time in existence, has found itself enslaved by one superior race or another. First it was a snake like race known as the Sslithar, then it was the Elves who emerged to fill the huge power vacuum after the Sslithar mysteriously disappeared or died out. The Elves dominated Humanity for nearly 20,000 years and during that time is when many of the demi-human races were forged such as the Orcs.
Alright. Now that I can see you are comfortable with lots of follow-up questions, let me ask a few questions about what constitutes slavery for you.

As you, of course, know, there are many models of slavery, legally, socially and economically. At one extreme you have modern chattel slavery like that of the French, British and US in the 18th and 19th centuries where procreation, socialization, movement, etc. of slaves was very specifically and directly regulated. At the other end, you have Russia's Imperial (as opposed to Aristocratic) Serfs in the same period -- people tied to the land and forced to pay tribute but operating in essentially self-governing communities or villages.
Now, this brought about the formation of the three pillars of power in society: The Nobility, the Church
Could you please link the paragraphs that precede this statement a little more closely with what you are saying? You describe this neat phenomenon where magi are attracted to join a particular kingdom -- then you state that this resulted in society having three elite estates but I'm not really sure how these things connect. Which group are the magi? Are they the aristocrats?

If so, let me rephrase my criticism: my concern is that the customs you have devised for non-aristocrats don't make sense of people who don't have considerable heritable privilege. Also, I do not understand how you can make an estate, like the aristocracy, identical to a particular profession. Given how contingent the magi's power is on that of this particular regime, they seem a little more like a service gentry and a little less like an aristocracy.

By the way, I like your imperial cult idea. It is an interesting fusion of Roman-style imperial cults with an indigenous culture-hero concept like Glooscap, god of the Micmacs. It is an elegant melding of two things people would not normally put together.
and the Imperial Shadows. The Imperial Shadows is the only official sanctioned organization for those who use magic.
Now here I'm in real trouble. Doesn't the church use magic? Or do you just mean arcane magic?

If the aristocracy are not the magi, I can't manage to figure out where you tell me anything about the aristocrats in the history component of your post. Did I miss something?
The Church and the Nobility are heavily linked together. The Church decides who has noble blood and who does not, and noble blood is determined by who and who isn't related to the hero I first mentioned.
How empirically-based is the church's test? It seems to me that if the test is genuinely empirical, there might be real problems. Families would amass power but would be unable to join the aristocracy; this seems like a recipe for instability. Most aristocratic systems, to survive, have to be able to absorb people whose blood has not historically been noble.
The Church has changed a lot since its early days, although they would maintain that nothing has ever changed. Nobility is divided up by High Nobility and Low Nobility. Low Nobility typically serve as regional powers (such as dukes and local lords) and High Nobility ranges from the Imperial Family down to Governors of various provinces.
Have you looked at the creation of Saudi Arabia from 1910-30? I recommend that you do. Aristocratic systems based around a single family are exceedingly rare and complex to maintain. Saudi Arabia is the only place I can think of that has pulled this off and so I would recommend you read up on it.

You see, in feudal systems, the king is the king because through whatever means at his disposal, he gets the aristocrats to transfer power up to him in the pyramidal structure. In imperial despotisms, power resides in the emperor and is transfered down to people like provincial governors. Such systems, when working properly, produce more of a service gentry or weak aristocracy; such noble groups tend to have a relatively weak hereditary component because they are kept in line by the threat of the family falling out of imperial favour and losing its power. Systems with provincial governors and the like tend to have a bit more of a revolving door in terms of important aristocratic families, except in Saudi Arabia... so do check it out.
Young Noble Children once they reach the age of three or four are sent off to various branches of the Church to be educated.
I have a few concerns about where you are going here but before I launch into them, let me ask you a hypothetical question: what would happen if a powerful noble decided to pay a private tutor to educate his children at home?
The society is by and large a patriarchal society, and although commoners typically have polygynist relationships (where one man is married to more than one woman), the nobility form mostly monogamous relationships.
This seems really strange. In every polygynist society I can think of, non-elite men could not financially afford more than one wife and the number of wives has varied directly with the status, wealth and power of the husband. As with arranged marriage, I think you are giving commoners a custom that does not make economic sense for people of their station.
In the end the lives of Nobles are almost totally different from the lives of commoners. The Church often acts as a buffer between the two.
This seems strange to me. Who owns the land on which commoners live and work? How are peasant soldiers levied in the event of war? Unless the church is central to the answer to these questions, I am not sure why the church would operate as a buffer. Also, the way you have defined the church, as an entity more obsessed with lineage and blood than the aristocrats themselves, I do not understand why it would be such a commoner-friendly institution.
For commoners and for nobility their families often choose their first wives for them. They typically have little to no choice in it, although they *do* have the right to refuse; the parents also have the right to say, "Well to bad, you're marrying him/her anyway!"
What motivates the parents of commoners to choose spouses? And what gives them the power to exercise the influence they do? With aristocrats, the answer to these questions is obvious; for commoners, it is not.
From this point onward to have another wife, the male of the relationship is approached by another male with a daughter. If the male of the relationship is interested in his daughter,
Does this mean that second and third wives tend to be of significantly lower social standing? I can't imagine a father wanting his daughter to be an nth wife when he she could become somebody's first wife.
then the wife *also* has to agree to the marriage. Understand that women, quite literally, rule the home. If she were to say, "That harlot isn't stepping foot into my home." Well, that's that.
So, what motivations or incentives would a first wife have for this addition to her family? I can see many downsides and very few upsides.
Having more than one wife is beneficial. More wives means more hands around the house. A typical household may have up to eight to twelve children... and unless your a woman who wants to conceive your husbands twelve children you'd give serious consideration to sharing your home with at least one other woman.
Wouldn't an aristocratic woman's preference be to have servants instead? As for common women, you have not sold me on how the man can afford to have all those wives and all those children.
Also, understand that courtship is typically involved in taking more than one wife. It isn't quite the same as a first arranged marriage. A daughter has to be offered to the male first, although a male may offer to give some type of dowry to "purchase" another mans daughter. There would be meetings between the potential wife and the current wife, and they would get to know each other before marriage.
I have to stop you here. I think that this particular portrayal of sexuality in your game will definitely undermine suspension of disbelief unless your game populated by very romantically ignorant young men. The motives and behaviours of these women are so unlike anything we can see in the historical or anthropological record that, in my view, your social system would strain the suspension of disbelief of most female or romantically experienced male players.
At the end of the day, once you are in a marriage you are stuck in it. There really is no way of getting out - there is no sanctioned divorce except for incest (a parent having sex with a child) or having sex outside of the marriage (a woman sleeps with another man, or a man sleeping with another woman). Outside of those two major things it is until "death do us part"... literally.
This was the case, on paper, for marriages pretty much everywhere in Europe and Asia until very recently. Universally, cultures solved this through 'don't ask don't tell' infidelity and the occasional death; it should be indicative that nobody solved it in the way your propose except for some very short and ill-fated utopian social experiments in North America in the past two centuries.
Anyway, let me wind down this insanely long post. My society is not set in stone and is still evolving.
Hence me spending time on this stuff. My style comes off as combative and adversarial often but I hope that it, at the very least, makes GMs ask themselves questions they otherwise would not. I am grateful that you have taken my responses in that spirit.

Ace

Adventurer
Here is my write up for Gender and Sex stuff IMC

Sexuality and D&D varies a lot from game to game as we all know IMC for example -- its all PG and happens behind the screen ---

Other games are rather more -- graphic. They make me queasy but to each his own and what adulyts want to do is thier business. Mea Culpa here but when I was very young (pre adult here) I ran Gor themed games with my buddies. We had fun though in retrospect I have to cringe

More recently I tried a PG13 Buffy/Angel game with a very mature group -- very metrosexual actually and it made them uncomfortable so it was back to PG for us

When I play all of my charcters are almost always deliberatly neuter on issues of sex for the most part-- heterosexual (Bi in 1 case, a vampire natch) but neuter. This way I can deal with the parts that interest me without stress -- an occasional bit of roleplaying and the conflict stuff.

I just don't care about my characters romantic life or interparty marriages and the like. They happen in other people games and thats cool with me but not in my campaign -- at least with my expected groups of players

I hve yet to run a dynsatic game so families don't matter in context. This will change someday though

Now as for the sexual preferences of non human races-- shoot I worked them out for my game-- they will probably never come up but they do interest me from a world building POV

Just for kicks -- here they are

Human -- same as real world -- varies by culture. Brin are meterosexual, most cultures are anti homosexual (they are NOT regarded as good guys though) the Wiccany cultures are tolerant. Vara and Galitri never engage in homeosexuality -- they just never have the trait (they aren't quite human)

None of the non humans are used IMC but when I did use them here is what they were like

Elves -- Mostly Bi -- with a few single sex prefered types -- usually Hetero with a fair amount of polyamory too. Sex =/= repoduction with these guys

Dwarves -- 60% Neuter (all the unamrried ones) the rest Hetero -- none are homosexual

Gnomes -- Same as Dwarves

Half Elves -- same as Humans often with a bit more of a wild streak. Half Elves are often more sexually adventurous than humans

Halfling -- always hetero and monogamous like Swans. They bond for life. if a partner dies they rebond (sometimes) but thats it

This keeps the amount of Sam/Frodo style slash or Lidda the Slut stuff to a minimum

Half Orcs -- same as Human with a marked tendancy to violence. BDSM is not kinky to half orcs at all

Half Ogre . Always Male and Always Neuter. These were from parings between a human male and an ogress -- females became Ogres , Males could be (1 time in 10) Half Ogres. Ogre males aren't interested in human females -- except as food. The exception might be a shapechanged Ogre Magi -- Children would be human with a High Strength, a wierd bloodline and levels in the Sorcerer class

Half Troll -- Some trolls IMC are intelligent and intereact with humans quite often. Humans and Trollwives sometimes Uhm interact They are close enough to people that offspring sometimes result. They look and act mostly human though they tend to be tall, have magic and sometimes horns or rough skin.

my Catfolk are Hetero with a tendancy to promiscuity.

As for "racial interactions "

Gnomes and Halfling always pair with their own kind

Dwarves pair only with Dwarves except in my faerie tale world where they sometimes pair with human females

Elves often pair with humans -- at least for a while as they are bascially the same species

Catfolk vary -- in one world the Anime styled ones often play about with humans. I doubt there is any offspring. In other games more animal like ones stick to thier own kind

a couple of other bits because of magic and cheap ubiquous herbal birth control in most places the status of women is much higher than it is IRL

This leads to a lot more freedom in that area than IRL

exceptions include nordanfel which treats all women as chattel (its a polemic counterpart to the queens domain which does that for men) and to an extent the scattered kingdoms which are semi fuedal and tend to see women as inferior

Last edited:

Malanath

Explorer
Thanks again for your response, Fusangite your insights are a tremendous help. Your questions are causing me to reevaluate some of the choices I have made. I suppose this is the logical result of throwing a bunch of different ideas into one pot, stirring it up, then working backward in time to explain why things are the way they are.

Hopefully this post won’t be too long, and I will be able to give you clarifications, as well as expand on what I have already told you.

As you, of course, know, there are many models of slavery, legally, socially and economically. At one extreme you have modern chattel slavery like that of the French, British and US in the 18th and 19th centuries where procreation, socialization, movement, etc. of slaves was very specifically and directly regulated. At the other end, you have Russia's Imperial (as opposed to Aristocratic) Serfs in the same period -- people tied to the land and forced to pay tribute but operating in essentially self-governing communities or villages.

If you want a good idea of how the Empire is working on the governmental side of things, without me going into a ton of details, you can just review the history of the Roman Republic. I am drawing much of my ideas directly from how the Roman Empire operated at various points in its history.

The Nobility can easily be considered Patricians while everyone else can easily be considered Plebeians. The Empire is divided into three major castes: The Nobility, the Citizens and the Slaves. Slavery is common and accepted throughout the Empire, and is often handed out as punishment for various crimes. Although slavery is treated similarly as to modern prison, where there is a set time in which you are once again free. However, the truth of the matter is that you most likely won’t survive long enough to see your freedom. The system is setup in such a way as to prolong your captivity for as long as possible.

One thing I should clearly point out about slaves is that they belong to the Empire not individual people. However, someone of the Nobility may direct and control slaves. Slaves are also considered property, but there are laws governing their treatment. The only person who could do what they wanted with a slave when they felt like it would be the Emperor himself.

You could easily view slaves as modern day governmental workers. They are the ones who do a vast majority of the labor work, building walls and roads for trade.

Citizens who own land have the ability to vote in elections for various local positions. In all cases but one, any possible candidate must have noble blood. The exception are the local mayors and town councils that are made up of ordinary citizens.

However, you should not think of this as a happy little Republic. The Emperor has absolute power, and may do anything he wishes, although there are checks in place to keep him from going too crazy. These balances are called the Three Pillars of the Empire. Each Pillar is represented as a faction: The Imperial Shadows, The Imperial Church and the Nobility.

Allow me too further explain while answering your other questions:
Could you please link the paragraphs that precede this statement a little more closely with what you are saying? You describe this neat phenomenon where magi are attracted to join a particular kingdom -- then you state that this resulted in society having three elite estates but I'm not really sure how these things connect. Which group are the magi? Are they the aristocrats?

Let me answer your questions here in reverse. The aristocrats make up the three Pillars of the Empire: The Imperial Shadows, the Imperial Church and the Nobility. To fully understand things you have to understand each of these three pillars role in society and in government.

First, you have the Nobility. Local nobility is elected by the citizens who own land. They make up the local lords, which are in charge of levying taxes on the towns and villages under their control, providing a respectable militia, etc. They can be seen as the executive branch of government with some legislative power.

Typically speaking it works something like this, when it comes time to elect a new local lord the local citizen landowners come together and place votes based on which noble house they wish to elect. Only those of the low nobility may enter these elections – these are those with the least amount of noble blood. They also come together to elect local mayors and councilmen which preside directly in their town or village, who do not have to have noble blood.

The combined local lords then have the ability to come together and elect a local governor for their province, based on the Noble Houses among the High Blood living within the province. These local lords function as the Governors Council and can serve as a legislative branch of government.

You then have the Imperial Church, which is best thought of less as a religion and more as a branch of government. Typically speaking when a religion merges with the government the government becomes ruled by the religion. The opposite has happened here, with the government gaining considerable power over the religion. (Although not without relinquishing a considerable amount of its own.)

The Imperial Church has many duties within the Empire; their primary duty to the Nobility is choosing who is of Noble Blood and who is not. Noble blood, as I explained earlier, is based off of an ancient hero of the long forgotten past. Now, I should point out right now (and answer one of your other questions) that the church hardly resembles the cult it used to be. The name of their revered hero has changed several times over the course of their existence, and they did not become officially organized until the formation of the Empire.

Religiously speaking, this Imperial Church is loosely based on the Hindu Trinity, where an all-powerful god has three different personas: covering a Creator, Preserver and Destroyer motif. From these aspects arise lesser and greater angels, demons and the like. Just imagine Hinduism, combined with a bit of Christianity and Judaism with just a smidgen of Islam and you will get a general picture. There are, of course, lesser pagan religions existing within the Empire, and they are ignored or stamped out depending on their level of threat to the Imperial Church and the Nobility.

Now, you have to keep in mind the Imperial Church has the power to say who is and who does not have Noble blood. This directly determines who is in power and who isn’t. This is roughly the equivalent of the Popes ability to excommunicate.

In addition to that, power over the nobles, the Church serves as a buffer between the Nobility and the Citizens. The church is directly responsible for many of the things that typically take place in the domestic sphere of government such as education. Now, education levels vary depending on where you are in the Empire. You are more likely to be educated if you live within a city, and than if you lived in a tiny little rural village. When I speak of Education, I am not talking about a twenty grade, get a strong foundation type education. I am speaking of a very fundamental type education: addition, subtraction and rudimentary reading and history.

Cities might have schools, while towns might have a one or two room schoolhouse, and a village might have children sitting outside somewhere with a lone priest teaching children of all ages.

The Imperial Church also functions as a Judicial Branch of Government. No case can be heard without at least one priest present who knows the law. In towns and villages the town council typically serve as a jury and a priest as a judge.

For the High Nobility, they may only be tried within the Imperial City. Children of the Nobility are educated longer and on much more things. They are raised in a all boys or all girls like setting, where the priests and priestesses rule over their lives until they are old enough to return to their parents to get married. They are educated about politics, history, various forms of pseudo-science, philosophy, mathematics and advanced reading. They are also kept well away from commoners.

Now, the Imperial Shadows is another institution all together. You could think of the Imperial Shadows as a special police force. They are the FBI, CIA, NSA, and Secret Service all rolled into one. They receive their name, the Shadows, based on their job description which is to Shadow certain people. A common saying, “Most people only have one shadow, but nobles have at least two." The Imperial Shadows is in a way the hand of the Emperor. Every Noble house has at least one Shadow residing within it. He arrives under the guise of providing council, but his real job is to keep an eye on the Noble family. The Imperial Shadows have put down more than one rebellion before it even started. Everyone knows what their role is, and most people are terrified of them - an image they go out of their way to promote.

See, you have to understand that magic in the Empire is something very frightening. Those born with the talent for magic, if untrained are a hazard to themselves and everyone around them. Before the Empire was formed, and once Humans had evolved the ability to use magic, those few that survived and mastered the craft were eventually able to come together and take over entire Kingdoms. They then warred with one another causing an untold amount of deaths during a period known as the War of the Magi. It all culminated in an accident that set every known civilization back at least 1000 years. The result of that "accident" is a sizable wasteland area.

It was after the War of the Magi that polygamy became widespread. There were so few men left after the war that the women outnumbered them at least three to one.

After the War of the Magi the people were eventually able to wrestle control from the mages. The end result is a long standing tradition of a hatred of magic. Even today, with the Imperial Shadows, in many rural villages where those exhibit the talent they are lynched by the villagers.

One of the main goals of the Imperial Shadows is finding those with the talent and training them. The Imperial Shadows are also the supreme lawmakers when it comes to magic - they make what practices are and are not acceptable, and those violating those practices are brought to them for punishment. This is how the Empire controls mages, by integrating them into the system.

Without the Imperial Shadows the Empire likely would have never come into existence in the first place, and now they function as a sort of political glue that holds things together. Not only do they serve as spies and sometimes assassins for the Emperor, but also they serve as bodyguards. The Emperor has at least twelve shadows with him at all times, six to either side, making it virtually impossible to assassinate him. A Shadow within a noble house also protects the noble from assassination attempts, although "accidents" have been known to happen.

Many people believe, perhaps rightly in some regards, that the Empire is really run by the Imperial Shadows. There might be some truth to some aspects of the claim, but the truth of the matter is the Imperial Shadows benefit more from a steady and stable Empire than a chaotic one. They seek to maintain order and often do not directly involve themselves in local politics.

How empirically-based is the church's test? It seems to me that if the test is genuinely empirical, there might be real problems. Families would amass power but would be unable to join the aristocracy; this seems like a recipe for instability. Most aristocratic systems, to survive, have to be able to absorb people whose blood has not historically been noble.

As I stated above, but will make clear, the Church has changed a lot over time. The test is not even close to being empirical; in fact I would wager that not a single person in the nobility is actually related to their legendary hero (whose name has changed at least three times).

Typically speaking, you would be raised to noble blood by having a certain amount of status or wealth in society. You approach the Church with your records based around your lineage. If you do not have any, you can request that the Church do such a study for you. The Church then takes those records and has a period of "review" in which they check for "errors." During that process, the Church secretly debates how your influence would affect the political landscape; they weigh the pros and the cons of admitting you verses not admitting you.

It looks something like this: Your sixth cousin twice removed had an aunt whose great grandmother was the sister to soandso1, who we know is the third cousin of soandso2, who we know for a fact was related to soandso3, who we know has noble blood.

That is pretty much how it would look. You would then be raised as a low noble, which would allow you power within the region in which you reside. Your goal as a low ranking noble would be to try and get your son married to a daughter of another noble higher up the bloodline. The Imperial Family sits at the top as having the most noble blood. Only another High Noble may take the Imperial Throne, which only very rarely changes hands.

More or less, if you are wealthy or have a lot of influence then you have a 50/50 shot of the Church saying you have Noble Blood.

I have a few concerns about where you are going here but before I launch into them, let me ask you a hypothetical question: what would happen if a powerful noble decided to pay a private tutor to educate his children at home?

Well the first thing it would do would anger the Church. It could elicit all sorts of responses; most likely the Church would approach the family and ask why they are violating custom. If it is a low noble family, they may let it slide, but may find some way to retaliate indirectly later on. (They would also most likely also spread heinous rumors about your child. Either your child is so dumb that they cann't get a proper education, or that your child is so ugly you are afraid to let him/her out in public, etc.)

If it is a member of the high nobility, they may receive a veiled threat of having their bloodline "under review." Which basically would mean that the Church is threatening to say "Whoops! We made a horrible mistake. You are not a noble after all!" Although that would only happen if there were other factors involved as well. Having your bloodline called into question is a serious and big problem, the equivalent of a medieval king being excommunicated by the Pope. Although, differing in the fact that you would be stripped of all your titles instantly as well as those that carry your blood.

The family would suffer pressure from all sides if the Church wanted it to be so. They would suffer politically and socially. Their family could be ruined.

This seems really strange. In every polygynist society I can think of, non-elite men could not financially afford more than one wife and the number of wives has varied directly with the status, wealth and power of the husband. As with arranged marriage, I think you are giving commoners a custom that does not make economic sense for people of their station.
Yes, I agree… I think I went a bit overboard. I am taking that back into review and I need to read more on polygynist societies.

What motivates the parents of commoners to choose spouses? And what gives them the power to exercise the influence they do? With aristocrats, the answer to these questions is obvious; for commoners, it is not.
Well it is more important for landowners than your typical commoner. Owning land is a very big thing, as it gives you the right to vote and cements your right as a citizen. The goal of any new family is to try and buy a small piece of land. In cities, members of Guilds also reserve the right to vote even if they do not own land.

Does this mean that second and third wives tend to be of significantly lower social standing? I can't imagine a father wanting his daughter to be an nth wife when he she could become somebody's first wife.

So, what motivations or incentives would a first wife have for this addition to her family? I can see many downsides and very few upsides.
This is true… I think I am going to have to seriously reevaluate the way the whole multiple wives concept works. I was hoping to give women more power in a marriage than this, but now I am leaning toward having all the power reside with the first wife and having subsequent wives subservient to her. This would allow the nobility to take more than one wife, without fear of the first female losing power.

Hence me spending time on this stuff. My style comes off as combative and adversarial often but I hope that it, at the very least, makes GMs ask themselves questions they otherwise would not. I am grateful that you have taken my responses in that spirit.
Well, I do not find your style to be combative or adversarial, just assertive and to the point. Which I actually find helpful when dealing with things like this. Your suggestions and help has been extremely welcome and really, I do not know how to thank you enough. You are giving me lots to think on as well as resources to look up, which serves me even more.

I hope I answered all your questions, and I hope that things make more sense. :D

Remove ads