• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City, Act I - Life's Bazaar

Caliber

Explorer
"There are so many possibilities, Konstantine, that I do not think we can know for sure now. Perhaps those with painted faces are as new here as we."

At the mention of drowning, Intari shudders, clearly uncomfortable with the thought. Who would have believed that they should ever have to face such a problem as too MUCH water.

"How long exactly have your people been vanishing Ruphus?"

Krug said:
"Yes, such irony to drown at the heart of a volcano, would it not be?" says Lias. "Hmm... and who be the enemies of this... saint cooth bert?"

Ruphus looks surprised that the elven woman seemingly has never heard of his patron god. "Well, I suppose any who would seek the advance of evil and chaos in the world...St. Cuthbert being the Cudgel of Righteous Law that he is. That line of thinking provides too many leads for a lifetime, I'm afraid," replies Ruphus.

Dichotomy said:
Konstantine listens to the story of Ruphus intently.

"That is horrible! I am so sorry for what has happened. I suppose though that at least a few things are obvious. Whoever those buffons are with their face paint, they are certainly connected to the disappearances. Otherwise, you would think they would be glad that the church was trying to do something. And they don't want the church involved. That means that... ummmm.... That means that they are either specifically afraid of the church, for some reason, or it means that they have also used similar tactics on the 'authorities' of which you spoke." The bard rubs her chin and thinks another moment. "Unless it means that they, the people behind the disappearances, are consorting with the 'authorities.' Oh, that would be wretched."

Konstantine continues to ponder. It's more like she is simply speaking her thoughts aloud rather than specifically addressing anyone. "So, it seems that the disappearances are all, or at least mostly all, related. That would suggest a large group or some other powerful force behind it. Since the people all just vanished, they must have been spirited away, or they went by their own will. Or maybe their will was... subjugated. And there must be some reason why the people are leaving or being taken."

The bard appears to realize that she has been babbling. "Oh, sorry. But don't lose heart, dear Ruphus. No decent person would ever be opposed to the help you mean to give. I am sure your god sees the work you do. I bet your High Priestess Jenya will know what to do."

Ruphus nods as Konstantine talks and talks and talks some more, seemingly at a loss for words. At the last he simply says, "Yes, I'm sure she will."

Scotley said:
Overwhealmed by the Bard's non-stop dialogue, William follows along mutely. He tries to follow the conversation and keep an eye out for trouble.

Caliber said:
"There are so many possibilities, Konstantine, that I do not think we can know for sure now. Perhaps those with painted faces are as new here as we."

At the mention of drowning, Intari shudders, clearly uncomfortable with the thought. Who would have believed that they should ever have to face such a problem as too MUCH water.

"How long exactly have your people been vanishing Ruphus?"

"I believe the first disappearance ocurred about three months ago," recalls Ruphus.

(OOC: Assuming Galen had no questions for Ruphus at this moment...)

It's only a few blocks from the scene of Ruphus' assault to the Church of St. Cuthbert. The two-story Church, its white marble walls suffused with veins of vivid blue, stands in stark contrast to the buildings of bare black stone that flank it on the north end of Obsidian Avenue. A pair of white marble statues depicting armored warriors stands on either side of the temple's heavy oaken door. Each of the statues raises a great mace to the sky. Above the door's marble architrave are boldly inscribed the following words: "WITHIN LAW LIVES HOPE."

Ruphus knocks loudly on the big wooden door, which opens after a moment. Another brown-robed acolyte stands within, who, seeing Ruphus' bruised face, reacts quickly. "Ruphus? What's happened?" He ushers everyone in out of the rain, concern written on his face.

Ruphus responds with some urgency. "Pellir, quickly, I must speak with Jenya. Please see that these good people are warm and dry." Turning back to the party, he apologizes, "Please forgive my haste but I must let the High Priestess know what has transpired. Pellir will attend you." With that, he strides swiftly down the hall.

Pellir leads the group into a spartan, but pleasant, sitting room which adjoins the main foyer. A warm fire crackles in a hearth, and comfortable-looking padded chairs and sofas line the walls. Pellir bustles in and out with hot tea and blankets for any who wish them, and then he excuses himself, saying, "Please make yourselves comfortable. I'm sure Ruphus will return shortly," as he leaves.

Actions?

Krug

Newshound
Eliara sinks into a chair. "How quaint. We wood elves rarely had such devices. Our backs are best when leaning against trees, or sleeping on leaves. Such amusing artifice humans have," she says, sipping on tea. "Ah, this is so good." she finishes the whole cup in one gulp. She studies the room, her curiousity piqued.

Caliber

Explorer
"In my land trees are a rarity. I do not think I have ever used one to lean against, nor have I seen one drop enough leaves to make a bed. It is your people who's customs seem strange to me."

Accepting a cup of tea, Intari settles himself onto the floor, close to the fire to hasten drying off.

"It is lucky we were all together tonight, yes? Our new friend Ruphus might not have escaped so lightly if not for our intervention. Perhaps there is a higher meaning in our meeting."

Dichotomy

Explorer
Konstantine gets a cup of tea and one of the warm blankets. She sits in one of the chairs near the fire and drapes the blanket on her shoulders. The bard holds the teacup close to her face in both hands and deeply smells the scent of the tea.

Konstantine looks at both Eliara and Intari and smiles. "It seems that both of you have customs most different from what I am used to. I would love to hear about the places you are from sometime." Konstantine looks at Intari. "A higher meaning. You may be right. At the very least Ruphus was lucky that we were there. I suppose that means that I am lucky that you all were there. My words would have been empty if you had not been by my side. For that, I thank you."

Scotley

Hero
William Human Paladin

William stands near the fire with a cup of tea, waiting until he is mostly dry before taking a seat on the sofa. "Yes, thank you all for joining against the agressors. It does suggest a higher purpose that such a disparate yet like minded group arrived at that point at the critical moment." He takes another sip of tea. "I am new to the area, but based on what little we know so far something pecular is going on here. I for one intend to dig a little deeper."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Scotley said:
William stands near the fire with a cup of tea, waiting until he is mostly dry before taking a seat on the sofa. "Yes, thank you all for joining against the agressors. It does suggest a higher purpose that such a disparate yet like minded group arrived at that point at the critical moment." He takes another sip of tea. "I am new to the area, but based on what little we know so far something pecular is going on here. I for one intend to dig a little deeper."

Galen, quiet for some time, has obviously been listening intently to everything everyone has said. Sometimes he's grinned. Other times frowned. A few times his eyes have rolled.

"I don't know much about higher purposes," Galen says, "but I agree with your sentiment. Blood cries out for blood, and if these harlequin thugs have been victimizing children, I would come close to delighting in teaching them a painful lesson or two."

The conversation is interrupted as the door to the sitting room opens. The figure that enters is neither Ruphus nor Pellir, but rather, a woman wearing brown robes with golden trim, and the symbol of St. Cuthbert around her neck. Her rich brown hair is elaborately styled, though streaked prematurely with gray. She stands only about 5' 4", but there is a fierce resolve in her brown eyes that makes her seem taller.

"Good evening," she begins. "My name is Jenya Urikas, and I am the acting High Priestess of this temple. I am indebted to you for the noble assistance you offered to Brother Ruphus this night. Despite the cowardly assault upon him, I have not given up on helping the children of the Lantern Street Orphange. Indeed, my convictions to do so are stronger than ever. This endeavor could use the assistance of good people such as yourselves. I have a proposal to offer, if you're willing to listen."

Jenya pauses here, looking to the gathered adventurers for their replies.

(OOC: Check out the intro post for a brief bio for Jenya, including a picture!)

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
"Well why not? Fate has chosen us to be strung together, and it might continue to want us to journey together," says Eliara, looking at the others.

Dichotomy

Explorer
I knew it! This is how adventures start. I can compose a ballad of the fall of the "Harlequin Masked Villians," or whatever they are called. This is moving much faster than I had thought. I hope I am ready for it.

Konstantine sets down her tea and the blanket as she stands to great the High Priestess. "High Priestess Urikas, it is a pleasure to meet you. Of course you know that we only did what we felt was right, but I am sure glad that it WAS right. I am glad also that you won't let such vile persons to dissuade you from your good works. And, while I cannot speak for the others, I am honored that you would wish our assistance in your task. Pray tell us what you need."

The bard turns to Eliara. "Indeed, I think you are right. Perhaps that this is another step along the path of destiny."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads