• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City, Act I - Life's Bazaar

Caliber

Explorer
As Jenya enters Intari stands, bowing his head as she introduces herself. "I am Intari, of the Desert Wanderers. I am pleased to meet you on this day, but as my new friend Konstantine has said, I only did what I felt was right."

"I would be pleased to help more; may I first ask, however, why you are the acting High Priestess? I mean no offense surely, but seek to learn as much as I can of this strange city I now find myself in."

Scotley

Hero
William Human Paladin

Still standing, William bows his head respectfully and speaks with solemnity and ernestness, "Thank you High Priestess, I am William Baker a humble Paladin and I would be honored to hear what you have to say." He sighs inwardly, hopeful that this young acting high priestess will take him seriously, unlike the priests back home.

Krug said:
"Well why not? Fate has chosen us to be strung together, and it might continue to want us to journey together," says Eliara, looking at the others.

Dichotomy said:
Konstantine sets down her tea and the blanket as she stands to great the High Priestess. "High Priestess Urikas, it is a pleasure to meet you. Of course you know that we only did what we felt was right, but I am sure glad that it WAS right. I am glad also that you won't let such vile persons to dissuade you from your good works. And, while I cannot speak for the others, I am honored that you would wish our assistance in your task. Pray tell us what you need."

Scotley said:
Still standing, William bows his head respectfully and speaks with solemnity and ernestness, "Thank you High Priestess, I am William Baker a humble Paladin and I would be honored to hear what you have to say." He sighs inwardly, hopeful that this young acting high priestess will take him seriously, unlike the priests back home.

Jenya shakes her head a bit at the formal introductions of Konstantine and William. "Please....just 'Jenya' will do. I'm an ordinary woman who speaks plainly. There is no reason to stand on ceremony with me."

Caliber said:
As Jenya enters Intari stands, bowing his head as she introduces herself. "I am Intari, of the Desert Wanderers. I am pleased to meet you on this day, but as my new friend Konstantine has said, I only did what I felt was right."

"I would be pleased to help more; may I first ask, however, why you are the acting High Priestess? I mean no offense surely, but seek to learn as much as I can of this strange city I now find myself in."

"High Priest Sarcem Delasharn is on an extended visit to Sasserine for the dedication a new shrine there. In his absence, I am entrusted to oversee the daily affairs of this temple."

(OOC: We'll presume that Galen, also, expresses some sort of interest...)

Jenya seems pleased at the group's interest in her proposal. She begins, "As Ruphus has said, four children were kidnapped from the Lantern Street Orphanage three nights ago. It does appear that these are the most recent in the series of strange disappearances and robberies that have plagued Cauldron in recent weeks. In the wake of these kidnappings, the Church of St. Cuthbert has publicly vowed to locate the missing children and bring the kidnappers to justice. We simply could not stand idly by any longer."

Jenya continues, "To aid in locating the children, I borrowed an item from church's vault, a magical mace named the Star of Justice. It has the ability to divine the will and wisdom of our lord St. Cuthbert directly. Its use is normally restricted to only the High Priest, but in his absence, I felt justified in calling on the mace's power. I asked of it the question, "Where are the children who were abducted from the Lantern Street Orphanage?" The response I received was a cryptic riddle, which I have written down."

Jenya hands the group a notes which reads:

Riddle%20Note.JPG

Jenya says, "I believe that the first line of the riddle holds an important clue, but I don't know what 'locks' the message refers to...perhaps those at the Orphanage. In any case, I need your help to decipher this riddle, find the missing townsfolk...especially the children...and punish those responsible for their crimes. I offer a reward of 2500 gold pieces for your aid. What say you?"

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Krago o'the Mountain said:
Jenya hands the group a notes which reads:

'The locks are key to finding them. Look beyond the curtain, below the cauldron. Beware the doors with teeth. Descend into the malachite 'hold, where precious life is bought with gold. Half a dwarf binds them, but not for long.'

Jenya says, "I believe that the first line of the riddle holds an important clue, but I don't know what 'locks' the message refers to...perhaps those at the Orphanage. In any case, I need your help to decipher this riddle, find the missing townsfolk...especially the children...and punish those responsible for their crimes. I offer a reward of 2500 gold pieces for this service. What say you?"

Galen frowns, biting his lower lip.

"With riddles, a thing isn't necessarily itself. A lock isn't necessarily a lock. On certain rivers in my native land, there are locks for raising and lowering barges plying those waters. Does Cauldron have anything of this manner? 'Beyond the curtain' could be behind a waterfall. 'Doors with teeth' is unusual. Maybe something as simple as a portcullis."

Krug

Newshound
"Half a dwarf? That sounds very... unfortunate," remarks Eliara. "I am interested in this quest. It is a good sum of... money, but the riddles are also interesting to me. After all, we will only know the answers for certain should we partake of this quest, do we not?" she said.

Dichotomy

Explorer
"Gods, this is horrid! I will help as well, though," Konstantine gets a worried look on her face, "I really don't know how much help I can give. I have ummmm... never really done anything like this before. But I will do the best I can."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Galen speaks up again. "You said that maybe the riddle had something to do with orphanage's locks. Presumably the kidnappers entered the orphanage. How? Was there a forced entry?"

Last edited:

Caliber

Explorer
At Jenya's explanation, Intari smiles and nods. "Thank you for the offer of a reward. I had hoped I could find a way to support myself within your city, but never quite like this.

Does your city have anything below it? I'm not sure what curtain we should look behind, but any underground passageways seem an obvious choice."

Mark Chance said:
Galen frowns, biting his lower lip.

"With riddles, a thing isn't necessarily itself. A lock isn't necessarily a lock. On certain rivers in my native land, there are locks for raising and lowering barges plying those waters. Does Cauldron have anything of this manner? 'Beyond the curtain' could be behind a waterfall. 'Doors with teeth' is unusual. Maybe something as simple as a portcullis."

Jenya states, "Your reasoning about the locks is interesting, but there are no such watery 'locks' here in Cauldron...only the lock and key variety, so far as I am aware."

Krug said:
"Half a dwarf? That sounds very... unfortunate," remarks Eliara. "I am interested in this quest. It is a good sum of... money, but the riddles are also interesting to me. After all, we will only know the answers for certain should we partake of this quest, do we not?" she said.

Scotley said:
"Though I possess no great skill in solving riddles, I will do my best to aid the children," says William.

Dichotomy said:
"Gods, this is horrid! I will help as well, though," Konstantine gets a worried look on her face, "I really don't know how much help I can give. I have ummmm... never really done anything like this before. But I will do the best I can."

Mark Chance said:
Galen speaks up again. "You said that maybe the riddle had something to do with orphanage's locks. Presumably the kidnappers entered the orphanage. How? Was there a forced entry?"

"There was not. This is one of the things that has so perplexed the local authorities. None of these disappearances has shown any sign of a break-in. It begs the question...How do the abductors get inside their victims' homes?"

Caliber said:
At Jenya's explanation, Intari smiles and nods. "Thank you for the offer of a reward. I had hoped I could find a way to support myself within your city, but never quite like this.

Does your city have anything below it? I'm not sure what curtain we should look behind, but any underground passageways seem an obvious choice."

"Undoubtedly, there must be tunnels, lava tubes and the like under the city. In fact, some adventurers' tales tell of a ruined city in the caverns below, a city built by a strange race of monsters. But, as to how to gain entrance to any of these subterranean caverns? I'm afraid I cannot say."

Jenya seems satisfied with the party's willingness to aid the church in solving the mystery of the disappearances. "Excellent! St. Cuthbert be praised for your timely intervention. Now, as a gesture of good faith, I have a gift for each of you." Jenya opens the door and conducts a brief conversation with someone in the hall outside. Moments later, the acolyte Pellir enters the room once more, carrying a tray. On the tray are five bottles, each sealed with wax, embossed with the symbol of St. Cuthbert. "Please take these potions of healing...may they aid you with this church's blessing, should your quest take you within harm's reach."

(OOC: Everyone please add a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds to your character's sheet.)

"Now, if you have further questions, please ask them. Then, I must bid you have a pleasant evening." At the conclusion of the conversation, Jenya departs and Pellir shows the adventurers out. The sun has fully set now upon the cobblestone streets, and the rain has let up, leaving the night cool and foggy.

(OOC: Please post any final questions/actions for Jenya and the temple, and then let me know where the party wants to go from here.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads