• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City: What's a good Class for it?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Phlebas said:
Ihaving said that we're going through wands of cure lights like they're going out of fashion

My players are doing the same, but then, they have a druid, a dragon shaman, and a paladin rather than a cleric in the party.

Rechan

Adventurer
Squire James said:
Hmm... I'm rather partial toward a Cleric/Fighter packing a heavy flail. Very effective - but I guess you know that!
Don't remind me. :\

It's very good that my character was a Test Character (I'm new to the group; wanted to get a feel for the gaming group, the campaign, the party's playstyle and such). I'm glad my bard got splatted; I can play something fun now.

In our Shackled City Campaign, we had a Bard, a Fighter, a Ranger (Archery) and later on, a Cleric.

Talk about suboptimal combination. We had going for us: One extra bonus feat, 2 extra class skills and 2 extra skill points. :) 25 Point Buy.

I played the Fighter, and concentrated on "tactical options" - trip, disarm, grapple, sunder and so on. Trip (with Defensive Throw) proved pretty useful. It was our best chance to keep our enemies from dealing too much damage. Being able to fight unarmed proved useful, too.

I eventually designed a PrC fitting my Fighters combat style:
http://www.gweb.de/ttt/news/news.php?exns=1&xnsmid=7

I think you will fare best with a standard party. Cleric, Rogue, Wizard and Fighter are definitely very useful. If there are more players, I might add in melee or archery focused character and a bard (Bard is best used with many people making attack rolls.)

Warren Okuma

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
In our Shackled City Campaign, we had a Bard, a Fighter, a Ranger (Archery) and later on, a Cleric.

Talk about suboptimal combination. We had going for us: One extra bonus feat, 2 extra class skills and 2 extra skill points. :) 25 Point Buy.

I played the Fighter, and concentrated on "tactical options" - trip, disarm, grapple, sunder and so on. Trip (with Defensive Throw) proved pretty useful. It was our best chance to keep our enemies from dealing too much damage. Being able to fight unarmed proved useful, too.

I eventually designed a PrC fitting my Fighters combat style:
http://www.gweb.de/ttt/news/news.php?exns=1&xnsmid=7

I think you will fare best with a standard party. Cleric, Rogue, Wizard and Fighter are definitely very useful. If there are more players, I might add in melee or archery focused character and a bard (Bard is best used with many people making attack rolls.)
I'd dump the rogue for a druid.

rgard

Adventurer
Rechan said:
I get it, I get it, Cleric. ;)

But of the off chance that the Other Guy plays a Cleric - what should I do then?

Take a look at the Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror. Archivist from the same book is another good choice.

Warren Okuma said:
I'd dump the rogue for a druid.
No, that would make traps to annoying. And I think there were a few of them in Shackled City. And IIRC, it wasn't too undead infested that Rogues wouldn't get enough sneak attack opportunities...

Warren Okuma

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
No, that would make traps to annoying. And I think there were a few of them in Shackled City. And IIRC, it wasn't too undead infested that Rogues wouldn't get enough sneak attack opportunities...
I find that a bag of tricks works fine to cover the trap problem, the Druid is more useful in battlefield control, and the Druid still has the diplomacy skill.

Remove ads