• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow Dancer Question...

chengarino

First Post
We have a party of good PCs. My pc can level now in Shadow Dancer (to 3rd level) or continue in Monk. However, I have questions of how the Shadow Dancer's shadow work...

QUESTION 1: How do you 'heal' such a shadow? I recall (but haven't found the rules) that undeads require 'inflict wound' spells to heal. But, such an effect requires an 'evil' cleric (or neutral cleric with inflict choice). So, does that mean if my shadow takes damage, the only way for it to 'heal' is to 'pour' potions of inflict X wounds and take a 50% chance of it working? Is there a better way to keep these 3HD creatures alive?

QUESTION 2: A shadow's primary attack is Strength Damage which leads to Create Spawn. What are the 'stats' of the created spawn? Does the new shadow get set at the 'baseline' 3HD or does it get attrs from its prior non-shadow self: HD, language, etc. (I do recall seeing a template treatment of the Shadow, but I couldn't find where).

QUESTION 3: A spawn of the shadow dancer's shadow remains under the control of that shadow. If the Shadow Dancer's shadow is destroyed, does it's spawned shadows (a) disappear, or (b) run rampant (ie, attack the party)?

Thanks ahead of time.

TrizzlWizzl

First Post
#1: Tome and Blood has arcane spells that deal negative energy damage (which of course heals unded). You might be able to get some scrolls or a wand (or something) of negative energy ray.

#2: creatures slain by a shadow become shadows in 1d4 rounds (MM p. 161).

#3: I'd say b. Shadows are mean, not to mention chaotic evil.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
IMO:

Question 1: Yes, you need negative energy to heal undead. But good clerics can cast Inflict wounds, they just can't cast it spontaneously.

Question 2: Normal, 3HD Shadow, but probably with the Shadowdancer's alignment.

Question 3: Alas, i'd say it runs rampant.

Maitre D.

Tiberius

Explorer
It should be noted that good clerics (and positive-channeling neutrals) are not prohibited from casting Inflict spells, just from channeling their already prepared spells into one. There is nothing inherently wrong with Inflicts, as they do not carry the [Evil] descriptor. Intelligent undead (like your shadow) are also able to heal "naturally", so that should not be a concern.

As for the spawn, I'd say that your beastie's victims become baseline spawn, and should your shadow be destroyed these now-uncontrolled spawn would try to destroy you and your party. I hope you have a cleric handy for this eventuality.

-Tiberius

mikep18103

First Post
What are the 'stats' of the created spawn?

I thought I had read somewhere that the Shadow of a Shadowdancer could not create spawns from creatures it killed. A quick run through the FAQ and SRD did not garner any truth to this memory though, so I'm unsure now of where I saw it.

Mike.

chengarino

First Post
Stats for the SD Shadow's Spawn...

The whole point of a shadow is to create spawns.

What are the 'stats' of the ShadowDancer's Shadow's spawns?

The attr/stat in question are:

1) What are their alignment? (CE or as SD)
2) Can they be turned?
3) Would the destruction of the SD's companion shadow's spawn cause the SD 'master' to make fort save to avoid xp damage?

My opinons are:

1) Same as SD. They are 'images' of their master shadow and under that shadow's control.
2) They can not be turned.
3) No experience point penalty. The link between the SD is with his/her shadow companion. The link between the spawned shadow is with the shadow companion; not the SD.

Otherwise, the primary benefit of a ShadowDancer's shadow is very weak at best. For example, when ever the party cleric turns undead at level (10+ the minimum level where SD 3 are possible) ... he'll knock out the groups' shadow spawns first. It'll be unlikely we'll see the undeads with higher than 3HD.

However, following the alignment logic of question 1, when the SD's companion shadow is destroyed. The SD's companion shadow's spawns should spontaneously revert to their CE nature and run amok? Spontaneous alignment changes rarely make sense. So, if the spawned shadows keep the SD's alignment ... they just get really pissed and attack the party without an alignment change.

What d'ya think?

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I think I remember reading the same thing as Mike, that a Shadowdancer's Shadow cannot create spawn.

I also think that as a DM, I wouldn't rule as you've said, because giving the Shadowdancer multiple strength-draining, unturnable, non-evil Shadows is more than a bit much.

But since, like Mike, I have no idea where I read that ruling regarding the Create Spawn ability, my $.0.02 stops there. :p

green slime

First Post
I too, have read about the non-spawning of Shadows. I believe that this was a question that was aimed at the Sage.

I checked the latest FAQ and Errata, but it wasn't there, and I am certain it was "an official source" so the Sage is the only other source I can think of. Of course I don't have the books here at work to browse through. As far as I know, Sage Advice is unavailable online, which is a pity really, regardless of whether you agree with his rulings.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Shadows not creating spawns was per the Sage.

Also, I don't see why these shadows would not be subject to Turning just like any other undead would be.

Storm Raven

First Post
RigaMortus said:
Also, I don't see why these shadows would not be subject to Turning just like any other undead would be.

This would be the reason. From the SRD:

Summon Shadow: At 3rd level, a shadowdancer can summon a shadow, an undead shade. Unlike a normal shadow, this shadow’s alignment matches that of the shadowdancer. The summoned shadow cannot be turned, rebuked, or commanded by any third party. This shadow serves as a companion to the shadowdancer and can communicate intelligibly with the shadowdancer. Every third level gained by the shadowdancer allows her to summon an additional shadow and adds +2 HD (and the requisite base attack and base save bonus increases) to all her shadow companions.

[Emphasis Added].

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads