Shadowdark looks so good!

Jahydin

Hero
@darjr
Looks fun!

Make any modifications to the rules?

Also forever on a quest to try and find the perfect "dungeon tile" solution. Heroquest is always in the back of my mind because of how easy and effective it's setup is, but limited to a static board. I think something in between, like these tiles mixed with 3D terrain, would be the perfect combination!

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
@darjr
Looks fun!

Make any modifications to the rules?

Also forever on a quest to try and find the perfect "dungeon tile" solution. Heroquest is always in the back of my mind because of how easy and effective it's setup is, but limited to a static board. I think something in between, like these tiles mixed with 3D terrain would be the perfect combination!
For these games I didn’t.

A few times people wanted to stagger lighting torches and lamps and I said the time would still end in the first one. That’s a little meta. But not too bad.

The first time an enemy put out a torch was a a surprise and the players took it in stride.

darjr

I crit!
For these games I didn’t.

A few times people wanted to stagger lighting torches and lamps and I said the time would still end in the first one. That’s a little meta. But not too bad.

The first time an enemy put out a torch was a a surprise and the players took it in stride.

Yeah, I got a disappointed "oh" the first time I enforced that rule, but no one has complained.

I have to add that the way turns and initiative is handled at first really turned me off. But I’ve used it every game I’ve run. The surprise to me is it did the opposite of what I feared.

I feared that the whole game would feel crunchy and tactical and like combat the whole time and what it actually did was make it feel like combat was easily a part of the normal fiction of the game. That it wasn’t another “mode” and it was just RPing all the time.

That was super refreshing.

Reynard

Legend
I was really hoping that the announcement would be the release of the full rules set on Fantasy Grounds. I really like the quickstart on FG as a foundation but it would be cool to have it all there.

Also, after a couple aborted attempts and a missed session, I am finally starting my Shadowdark campaign this Friday night with 5 players. Woo!

Reynard

Legend
First session last night. We had six PCs that went into the Citadel of the Minotaur. They were hired to retrieve (whole and undamaged) one of the bull statue gems. They scouted outside and decided on the maze entrance and wandered in the dark until they came upon a sleeping beastman. They decided to just slit its throat while it slept, and while they were searching the room for treasure, a (random encounter) group of ettercaps came in while hunting for food. They were suspicious at first but not immediately hostile, but one PC decided to attack pre-emptively. It did not go well for the PCs. One PC is already dead and 2 are down but stable. It probably would have been a TPK except the sound of the battle aroused the Minotaur (in the room next door) and the ettercaps fled when they heard it coming. The PCs' torch timer ended right before the minotaur appeared so I decided to just end the session there.

Also, the first spell cast in game was a healing spell on the downed (now dead) character and it fizzled. Lol. I love this game.

Jahydin

Hero
First session last night. We had six PCs that went into the Citadel of the Minotaur.
I ran this not very long ago for my family and my younger step-brother (first time playing a TTRPG) set fire to the ettercap webs with his torch to buy the party some time to run away. When it worked, he just stared at me, eyes wide, and said, "That might have been the coolest thing I've ever done...". :oops:

Safe to say, I think another fan just joined our hobby! :ROFLMAO:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I ran this not very long ago for my family and my younger step-brother (first time playing a TTRPG) set fire to the ettercap webs with his torch to buy the party some time to run away. When it worked, he just stared at me, eyes wide, and said, "That might have been the coolest thing I've ever done...". :oops:

Safe to say, I think another fan just joined our hobby! :ROFLMAO:

And he didn’t even need proficiency in Combustibles!

JohnF

Adventurer
I rearranged the character sheet a bit. Made more room for some stuff, and put alignment, ancestry, and class in order to read straight down after name. I also replaced deity (which I prefer on its own as part of the priest class material) with "goal" for those players who like to have a little space for some extra motivation.

Attachments

• Shadowdark Character Sheet JF.pdf
    361.8 KB · Views: 75

Remove ads