Shadowfell Gloves and longer-lasting damage spells

Chen_93

First Post
By the current wording (which is different than the horned helm) still does tend to imply its a single 1d6 you add to the attack (also implying it is a single d6 that gets added to a single target for fireball). That said, it definitely needs some clarification because that fireball point doesn't sit well with me.

The intention of the item, I suspect, is to add 1d6 to the first damage roll the power uses. Multi-attack powers would get it added to each target (since you only perform one damage roll), but sustained powers would not continue to add the 1d6 each time it was sustained. This is how I'd errata it in my game anyways.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
You add the 1d6 ONCE to the damage the power deals because that is EXACTLY what is written.

Actually, the wording says:

Add 1d6 to the damage dealt by that power (if any).

It does not say:

Add 1d6 to the TOTAL damage dealt by that power (if any).

which is what it would need to say to limit it to 1D6 once as you claim.

Every time the power damages an opponent, 1D6 is added. If one does not interpret it this way, then there is a case where foe #1 has the 1D6 added and foe #2 does not, then "1d6 was not added to the damage dealt by that power" on foe #2, even though the gloves state to add to the "damage dealt by the power". Was it damage dealt by the power on foe #2? Yes. Then, it adds the extra damage.

Given the choice of the two interpretations and considering that this is a Daily power, I think designer intent is that the 1D6 damage applies each and every time the power damages an opponent. Otherwise, it's a total waste of space in the book.

Note: Compare this to a Daily Item power in the book like the Shield of Defense (??? I forget its name) where it gives Resist 10 to two PCs until the end of the next turn. This could easily stop 50 or more points of damage. So, it's not ok to offensively do 6D6 of damage on multiple foes, but it is ok to defensively stop 50+ damage on multiple PCs with a Daily power? If it is limited to only +1D6 on offense and mega damage resist on defense for Daily item powers, where is the balance?

Last edited:

Verision

First Post
By the current wording (which is different than the horned helm) still does tend to imply its a single 1d6 you add to the attack (also implying it is a single d6 that gets added to a single target for fireball). That said, it definitely needs some clarification because that fireball point doesn't sit well with me.

The intention of the item, I suspect, is to add 1d6 to the first damage roll the power uses. Multi-attack powers would get it added to each target (since you only perform one damage roll), but sustained powers would not continue to add the 1d6 each time it was sustained. This is how I'd errata it in my game anyways.

I agree that the wording makes it sound like it should only add the damage once (that was my first impression) but I think that would put the magic item below the power range of other magic items of the same level.

Remove ads