Shadowthorne PrC

Buddha the DM

Explorer
I'm putting my PrC up for review (again) so people can tell me what is wrong with it. Also, I've not included the epic progression for the class because whatever changes are made to the base 10 levels will destroy what I have for the epic progression.

Shadowthorne Prestige Class

The elven race has been known to value life, to be aloof, and to share a happiness that has been unsurpassed through the ages. The elves achieve this through various means, but under all the glitter there lies a layer of ash. The elven livelihood is achieved because a faction of elves dare thread the twilight path. They dare to walk the paths of shadow, stealth, and death. These elves are known as the Shadowthorne, and they report only to the Oathallyn, who rumors state reports directly to Corellon Larethian himself.

The shadowthorne are the elven blooded experts of reconnaissance, stealth, search & rescue, and disposal (the ugly task of assassination) should they be called upon to fulfill that last roll. The shadowthorne have for centuries been the eyes, and ears for those with elven blood. They quietly observe everything, gathering information which they report back to their superiors who then tell them what to do, and when to act. Shadowthorne are only spoken of in hushed tones, and in darkened corners, for they are feared for their efficiency in relaying information back to their masters, and in carrying out their masters orders.

Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills: The shadowthorne’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Entry Requirements

Race:
Elven Blood
Skills: Diplomacy 6 ranks, Gather Information 6 ranks, Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (in a Ranged Weapon)
Class Features: Evasion, Sneak Attack +1d6
Special: The weapon chosen for the weapon focus feat becomes the shadowthorne's signature weapon. Also, the character must be chosen by an existing Shadowthorne who then sponsors them into the training grounds of the class.

Shadowthorne Progression
Code:
Level    BAB    Fort    Ref    Will    Special
1         +0     +0      +2     +0     Quick Draw
2         +1     +0      +3     +0     Ranged Sneak (+5 ft), Invisibility 1/day
3         +2     +1      +3     +1     Sneak Attack +1d6, Whispers on the Wind (+3)
4         +3     +1      +4     +1     Nondetection 1/day
5         +3     +1      +4     +1     Ranged Sneak (+10 ft), Sneak Attack +2d6
6         +4     +2      +5     +2     Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Evasion, Whispers on the Wind (+6)
7         +5     +2      +5     +2     Invisibility 2/day, Sneak Attack +3d6
8         +6     +2      +6     +2     Ranged Sneak (+15 ft), Nondetection 2/day
9         +6     +3      +6     +3     Sneak Attack +4d6, Whispers on the Wind (+9)
10        +7     +3      +7     +3     Critical Strike

Class Features

All of the following are features of the shadowthorne prestige class.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Shadowthorne gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Quick Draw: At first level the character gains Quick Draw as a bonus feat.

Sneak Attack: As the rogue ability of the same name.

Ranged Sneak (Ex): The range at which the extra damage from a ranged sneak attack can be applied is increased by 5 feet at level 2. The range is further increased by another 5 feet at both levels 5 and 8.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): While in any sort of natural terrain, a shadowthorne of 6th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Whispers on the Wind (Ex): The shadowthorne gains a +3 bonus to their Diplomacy and Gather Information checks at 3rd level, this bonus increases by +3 again at 6th and 9th levels. This bonus stacks with bonuses gained from other sources such as the skill focus feat.

Nondetection (Sp): Gains the ability to cast nondetection 1/day at level 4, and a second use of nondetection at Level 8. Nondetection is cast as a sorcerer of a level equal to the shadowthorne’s character level.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At sixth level the shadowthorne gains Improved Evasion as a class feature. This ability works like evasion, except that while the shadowthorne still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth they only take half damage on a failed save. A helpless shadowthorne does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Invisibility (Sp): Gains the ability to cast invisibility 1/day at level 2, and a second use of invisibility at Level 7. Invisibility is cast as a sorcerer of a level equal to the shadowthorne’s character level.

Critical Strike (Ex): A shadowthorne’s skill at delivering crippling blows with their signature weapon grows stronger. The character gains Improved Critical as a bonus feat.

Last edited:

Shazman

Banned
Banned
A few things
1) Elven blood should just be replaced with elf or half-elf
2) The requirements seem a bit steep since the class isn't that high powered
3) Sudden strike should be renamed since there is already a class ability called sudden strike.
Maybe call it strike first, strike last or something?
4) The class seems a bit underpowered, and it seems that the flavor of this class calls out for sneak attack, sudden strike, or favored enemy bonuses. I would try to fit those in somewhere.

Buddha the DM

Explorer
Shazman said:
A few things
1) Elven blood should just be replaced with elf or half-elf
2) The requirements seem a bit steep since the class isn't that high powered
3) Sudden strike should be renamed since there is already a class ability called sudden strike.
Maybe call it strike first, strike last or something?
4) The class seems a bit underpowered, and it seems that the flavor of this class calls out for sneak attack, sudden strike, or favored enemy bonuses. I would try to fit those in somewhere.
1) I'll have to disagree with changing this because of a race that I have made.
2) You're the first person that I've shown this class to that has said it wasn't high-powered. How would you change the requirements?
3) I've been out of the loop for a bit what class has the Sudden Strike ability?
4) I'll see about your comments for this point.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Since it's your world, I'll have to concede number 1. I would change the sneak attack requirement to + 1d6, and replace combat reflexes and endurance with improved initiative. Sudden strike works just like sneak attack except it only works on targets denied their dex bonus to AC, not when you flank them. The ninja base class has it as well as several prestige classes. The reason I believe that it is a bit underpowered, is that it has weak hit dice and no real ability to deal damage that scales like a rogue or ranger which this class is similar to. I would give the class +1d6 sneak attack dice at levels 2,5, and 8.

Tyonisius

First Post
3 things I'd tweak.

I don't see anything that makes this class to terribly powerful. There are only 3 changes I would make to it to allow it in a campaign I run, but as I'm not running the campaign it will be in, you may not like them.

1. Change the BAB progression to 3/4.
2. Lower the Whispers on the Wind bonus, not a big problem as is.
3. And I don't quite understand the will save progression. I would reduce it to the rogue's. If you want a higher will save than +3, I'd suggest giving it another ability that increases the save by +2 (for a total of +5).

Buddha the DM

Explorer
Tyonisius said:
I don't see anything that makes this class to terribly powerful. There are only 3 changes I would make to it to allow it in a campaign I run, but as I'm not running the campaign it will be in, you may not like them.

1. Change the BAB progression to 3/4.
2. Lower the Whispers on the Wind bonus, not a big problem as is.
3. And I don't quite understand the will save progression. I would reduce it to the rogue's. If you want a higher will save than +3, I'd suggest giving it another ability that increases the save by +2 (for a total of +5).
Points 1 & 3 should've been in the last batch of revisions I did but they are in there now. A save higher than +3 is not needed.

Point 2 I'm a little confused on. Why should I lower it? Right now it is at +3/+6/+9.

Tyonisius

First Post
You probably shouldn't to be honest. Like I said, it doesn't seem like a big ordeal. I haven't played much higher level campaigns (I'm fairly new to DnD but I've read up a lot) and a +9 might be perfectly normal. With the other two changes made, I think it looks great to be honest. I might steal if if you don't mind.

Buddha the DM

Explorer
Good ahead and use it. I'd be interested in hearing how the class handles for you, and in seeing whatever characters you make that have levels in this class.

Remove ads