Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'd say the same as Stalker0. Saw both Black Widow and Shang Chi as the only two movies I've seen in a theatre in over a year. I enjoyed Black Widow, even though it had its problems. Shang Chi blows it out of the water. It's solid. Even the above discussed CGI finale actually worked pretty well for me. Sure, it was overly big and overly CG'd, but it worked with the story and was... well, kind of awesome.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Saw this the other day and really enjoyed it. Tony Leung does a great job, but the whole cast was excellent. Definitely a vastly different take on Shang-Chi from the Master of Kung-Fu comics I used to read back in the day; they were more James Bond-ian affairs, IIRC. Still a fun film.

So about the first end credits scene:
Why is Bruce not in Professor Hulk form? And Captain Marvel's hair is a good bit longer than it was in Avengers: Endgame so I guess this takes place months after that film?

And who/what are the Ten Rings calling to? My first thought is the Eternals, Deviants, and/or Celestials, since we have The Eternals film next up in November. But could it be foreshadowing something further out?

And why doesn't Wong kick it up to Dr. Strange to look at? Why isn't Strange looking at it with them? I mean, I can come up with all kinds of story reasons/excuses why, but I wonder if it is an intentional point? If this takes place between Spider-Man: Far From Home (which calls out Dr Strange as "unavailable" - again, maybe "plot convenience," maybe not...?) and Spider-Man: No Way Home (where something seems "off" with Strange), perhaps Strange's absence is plot-relevant?

Stalker0

Legend
And why doesn't Wong kick it up to Dr. Strange to look at?
One thing I think this movie did well was highlighting Wong as his own man, rather than just "Dr Strange's assistant". So the idea of Wong handling this kind of investigation himself makes plenty of sense, especially since realistically he knows more about mystical artifacts than Strange does at this point....for all of Strange's natural talents and quick study Wong still has many years of experience and exposure to mystical things than Strange does.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Two thumbs up sequence at the start when Wenwu meets Ying Li in the garden, would watch that again and again.
Wasn't sure I was going to like Katy the goofy sidekick, but she kind of grew on me - she changed through the movie as they raised the stakes, well done.
Meng'er Zhang as sister Xu is a star, great performance and hope to see her in more movies.
Ending was hot mess... I didn't think Black Widow was that bad, compared to this one.
Great chemistry / relationships for sure. Black Widow did a solid job with this as well, definite improvement from the earlier movies.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I enjoyed the movie, but I was struck with an odd bit of humor when I realized that the Ten Rings mooks use exclusively non-lethal weapons (hook swords with tasers instead of sharp edges, electric bolas flinging crossbows), and our intrepid heroes are launching people off buildings and using actual bladed weapons against their opponents. What measure is a mook indeed.
And yes, I know, the minibosses use lethal weapons, but my mirth stands.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I enjoyed the movie, but I was struck with an odd bit of humor when I realized that the Ten Rings mooks use exclusively non-lethal weapons (hook swords with tasers instead of sharp edges, electric bolas flinging crossbows), and our intrepid heroes are launching people off buildings and using actual bladed weapons against their opponents. What measure is a mook indeed.
And yes, I know, the minibosses use lethal weapons, but my mirth stands.
Yeah, no one felt really bad about throwing a guy off a building either. I think I'd be horrified if I did that (and I absolutely would be if my friend did it.)

The road outside was actually a big trampoline, so they all landed okay. Or else they had parachutes. Or catlike reflexes to handle falls like a champ.

But yeah, when the Ten Rings rolled up on a village of martial artists and did not immediately unload with machine guns, I sighed and reminded myself to suspend my disbelief.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases