Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

This is a weird movie, simultaneously part of a superhero franchise and a martial arts fantasy epic and a pretty solid story of a family dealing with loss. I was really entertained. I hope you all see it so we can talk about it.
It was good,I was a bit surprised at how one guy was dealt with. The post-credits were good, also nice callbacks to Iron man 3 and taken care of a dangling plot thread from it too. I recommend watching the short "All hail the king" it's not 100 needed to watch, but it gives a visual to a bit of explanation.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Went to see it with my son today. My expectation for all of the “post-Endgame” Marvel content has been low and this is the first superhero film I’ve seen with no knowledge of the character (well to be fair that would be Captain Marvel - I must have stopped reading comicS after Captain Marvel was introduced but before Carol Danvers took over the name).

Despite that I was blown away - an interesting mix of style and tone but they work. Similarly it was quite predictable in places but the characters are so well-developed (and in many cases just so likeable) and the story so well told that again, I was happy to go along for the ride.

The ending was a week point for the film (with for me the first half being much stronger) but overall it’s a great addition to the MCU films.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I haven't seen it yet, but I find myself wishing that they'd quit doing those big CG-Laden "Final Battle" scenes. I know that they are expected but who cares? They nearly always make the movie worse. Black Widow (for the most recent example) is almost entirely ruined by the "falling station" scene where physics goes right out the window and you start to question the extent of the character's abilities.

For an older example, I would argue that Wonder Woman was ruined by it's big final battle. At least the story was ruined, even if the movie somehow survived to still be likeable (unlike the second one, but its problems were all over the place). The story in WW was that modern War was a bureaucrat, not a giant in armour with an axe, and humanity was responsible, not the gods, and yet... once WW beat the giant god in armour, the war ended (Axis and Allies hugged each other, IIRC!) It was so obviously tagged on, to make it worse.

I hope my hatred of the trope doesn't ruin Shang Chi for me. Sounds like the rest will be good enough to make up for it.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I haven't seen it yet, but I find myself wishing that they'd quit doing those big CG-Laden "Final Battle" scenes. I know that they are expected but who cares? They nearly always make the movie worse. Black Widow (for the most recent example) is almost entirely ruined by the "falling station" scene where physics goes right out the window and you start to question the extent of the character's abilities.

For an older example, I would argue that Wonder Woman was ruined by it's big final battle. At least the story was ruined, even if the movie somehow survived to still be likeable (unlike the second one, but its problems were all over the place). The story in WW was that modern War was a bureaucrat, not a giant in armour with an axe, and humanity was responsible, not the gods, and yet... once WW beat the giant god in armour, the war ended (Axis and Allies hugged each other, IIRC!) It was so obviously tagged on, to make it worse.

I hope my hatred of the trope doesn't ruin Shang Chi for me. Sounds like the rest will be good enough to make up for it.

Doctor Strange is not a fantastic movie, but the best part about it is how he doesn't beat the villain in a CGI battle of "Who's Stronger!" He tricks the bad guy instead, which fits the character way better (and was pretty entertaining).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Doctor Strange is not a fantastic movie, but the best part about it is how he doesn't beat the villain in a CGI battle of "Who's Stronger!" He tricks the bad guy instead, which fits the character way better (and was pretty entertaining).
Yeah. That still was a big CG-laden final battle, but he won by being smart and not in a badly-animated punch-up. I really liked that one.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Well hopefully without giving too much away, part of the final battle does suffer from CGI vs CGI but it’s more of a speed bump than something that completely derails the ending.
That's good. To a certain extent, I can tolerate that kind of thing, I just wish that they didn't think it was necessary. Black Widow would have been better without it, for example. (IMO)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'd say the same as Stalker0. Saw both Black Widow and Shang Chi as the only two movies I've seen in a theatre in over a year. I enjoyed Black Widow, even though it had its problems. Shang Chi blows it out of the water. It's solid. Even the above discussed CGI finale actually worked pretty well for me. Sure, it was overly big and overly CG'd, but it worked with the story and was... well, kind of awesome.

Rabulias

Legend
Saw this the other day and really enjoyed it. Tony Leung does a great job, but the whole cast was excellent. Definitely a vastly different take on Shang-Chi from the Master of Kung-Fu comics I used to read back in the day; they were more James Bond-ian affairs, IIRC. Still a fun film.

So about the first end credits scene:
Why is Bruce not in Professor Hulk form? And Captain Marvel's hair is a good bit longer than it was in Avengers: Endgame so I guess this takes place months after that film?

And who/what are the Ten Rings calling to? My first thought is the Eternals, Deviants, and/or Celestials, since we have The Eternals film next up in November. But could it be foreshadowing something further out?

And why doesn't Wong kick it up to Dr. Strange to look at? Why isn't Strange looking at it with them? I mean, I can come up with all kinds of story reasons/excuses why, but I wonder if it is an intentional point? If this takes place between Spider-Man: Far From Home (which calls out Dr Strange as "unavailable" - again, maybe "plot convenience," maybe not...?) and Spider-Man: No Way Home (where something seems "off" with Strange), perhaps Strange's absence is plot-relevant?

Stalker0

Legend
And why doesn't Wong kick it up to Dr. Strange to look at?
One thing I think this movie did well was highlighting Wong as his own man, rather than just "Dr Strange's assistant". So the idea of Wong handling this kind of investigation himself makes plenty of sense, especially since realistically he knows more about mystical artifacts than Strange does at this point....for all of Strange's natural talents and quick study Wong still has many years of experience and exposure to mystical things than Strange does.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Two thumbs up sequence at the start when Wenwu meets Ying Li in the garden, would watch that again and again.
Wasn't sure I was going to like Katy the goofy sidekick, but she kind of grew on me - she changed through the movie as they raised the stakes, well done.
Meng'er Zhang as sister Xu is a star, great performance and hope to see her in more movies.
Ending was hot mess... I didn't think Black Widow was that bad, compared to this one.
Great chemistry / relationships for sure. Black Widow did a solid job with this as well, definite improvement from the earlier movies.

BrokenTwin

Adventurer
I enjoyed the movie, but I was struck with an odd bit of humor when I realized that the Ten Rings mooks use exclusively non-lethal weapons (hook swords with tasers instead of sharp edges, electric bolas flinging crossbows), and our intrepid heroes are launching people off buildings and using actual bladed weapons against their opponents. What measure is a mook indeed.
And yes, I know, the minibosses use lethal weapons, but my mirth stands.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I enjoyed the movie, but I was struck with an odd bit of humor when I realized that the Ten Rings mooks use exclusively non-lethal weapons (hook swords with tasers instead of sharp edges, electric bolas flinging crossbows), and our intrepid heroes are launching people off buildings and using actual bladed weapons against their opponents. What measure is a mook indeed.
And yes, I know, the minibosses use lethal weapons, but my mirth stands.
Yeah, no one felt really bad about throwing a guy off a building either. I think I'd be horrified if I did that (and I absolutely would be if my friend did it.)

The road outside was actually a big trampoline, so they all landed okay. Or else they had parachutes. Or catlike reflexes to handle falls like a champ.

But yeah, when the Ten Rings rolled up on a village of martial artists and did not immediately unload with machine guns, I sighed and reminded myself to suspend my disbelief.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4