Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

This is a weird movie, simultaneously part of a superhero franchise and a martial arts fantasy epic and a pretty solid story of a family dealing with loss. I was really entertained. I hope you all see it so we can talk about it.
It was good,I was a bit surprised at how one guy was dealt with. The post-credits were good, also nice callbacks to Iron man 3 and taken care of a dangling plot thread from it too. I recommend watching the short "All hail the king" it's not 100 needed to watch, but it gives a visual to a bit of explanation.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Went to see it with my son today. My expectation for all of the “post-Endgame” Marvel content has been low and this is the first superhero film I’ve seen with no knowledge of the character (well to be fair that would be Captain Marvel - I must have stopped reading comicS after Captain Marvel was introduced but before Carol Danvers took over the name).

Despite that I was blown away - an interesting mix of style and tone but they work. Similarly it was quite predictable in places but the characters are so well-developed (and in many cases just so likeable) and the story so well told that again, I was happy to go along for the ride.

The ending was a week point for the film (with for me the first half being much stronger) but overall it’s a great addition to the MCU films.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I haven't seen it yet, but I find myself wishing that they'd quit doing those big CG-Laden "Final Battle" scenes. I know that they are expected but who cares? They nearly always make the movie worse. Black Widow (for the most recent example) is almost entirely ruined by the "falling station" scene where physics goes right out the window and you start to question the extent of the character's abilities.

For an older example, I would argue that Wonder Woman was ruined by it's big final battle. At least the story was ruined, even if the movie somehow survived to still be likeable (unlike the second one, but its problems were all over the place). The story in WW was that modern War was a bureaucrat, not a giant in armour with an axe, and humanity was responsible, not the gods, and yet... once WW beat the giant god in armour, the war ended (Axis and Allies hugged each other, IIRC!) It was so obviously tagged on, to make it worse.

I hope my hatred of the trope doesn't ruin Shang Chi for me. Sounds like the rest will be good enough to make up for it.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I haven't seen it yet, but I find myself wishing that they'd quit doing those big CG-Laden "Final Battle" scenes. I know that they are expected but who cares? They nearly always make the movie worse. Black Widow (for the most recent example) is almost entirely ruined by the "falling station" scene where physics goes right out the window and you start to question the extent of the character's abilities.

For an older example, I would argue that Wonder Woman was ruined by it's big final battle. At least the story was ruined, even if the movie somehow survived to still be likeable (unlike the second one, but its problems were all over the place). The story in WW was that modern War was a bureaucrat, not a giant in armour with an axe, and humanity was responsible, not the gods, and yet... once WW beat the giant god in armour, the war ended (Axis and Allies hugged each other, IIRC!) It was so obviously tagged on, to make it worse.

I hope my hatred of the trope doesn't ruin Shang Chi for me. Sounds like the rest will be good enough to make up for it.

Doctor Strange is not a fantastic movie, but the best part about it is how he doesn't beat the villain in a CGI battle of "Who's Stronger!" He tricks the bad guy instead, which fits the character way better (and was pretty entertaining).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Doctor Strange is not a fantastic movie, but the best part about it is how he doesn't beat the villain in a CGI battle of "Who's Stronger!" He tricks the bad guy instead, which fits the character way better (and was pretty entertaining).
Yeah. That still was a big CG-laden final battle, but he won by being smart and not in a badly-animated punch-up. I really liked that one.

Remove ads