Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
You said, "...they were more a James Bond affair." I was responding with one reason why the MCU version isn't.

He chose to take on street-level issues while hanging out with Luke Cage, sure. But then, in Secret Invasion, he downed a SHIELD helicarrier with a single punch.

So, sure, street level.
Ah. I fell off the comics bandwagon around 1999, so it certainly looks like they amped up Iron Fist considerably since then, and I agree they seem to be drawing on that for inspiration for a powered-up Shang-Chi in the MCU.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Ah. I fell off the comics bandwagon around 1999, so it certainly looks like they amped up Iron Fist considerably since then...

Well, this is hardly new. In Iron Fist #1, back in 1975, Iron Fist went head-to-head with Iron Man, and neither one prevailed before someone intervened to tell them they were fighting over a misunderstanding. His starting point in his own comic is "roughly equal to an Avenger".

But yeah, since then, he has infused chi into an entire building to use it as a melee weapon against a... god, for lack of a better term. He isn't a lightweight hero, any more than Luke Cage is.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
D+ released it. Finally got to see it.

Nice.

I think Shang Chi lied again. His mission to kill the last man who killed his mother?

That was Caty's grandfather. And he'd befriended her at the time to get close or some such.

Meat for future conflict between the two.

Ryujin

Legend
I very much enjoyed it. Like many I could do without the overly muddy CGI-fest ending* but, overall, it was very good. It didn't follow what little I remember about the original comic back in the '70s but as with Spider-Man being switched from being bit by a radioactive spider to being fallout from gene splicing experiments, I can roll with it. If it works, I'm good.

Very glad that they didn't make Katy into a throw-away character who ends up hiding under the bed.

* I'm not against heavy use of CGI, but rather when it's used in a way that doesn't allow you to follow the action.

It was better than black widow but its seriously flawed

-doesnt feel like a super hero movie. In fact it felt more like a fantasy film (more like say Avatar)

-they turned abomination into a animal clown. Really disapointed in that cameo

-Agree on the fathers powers/rings. This guy (im not even sure if we can use his villian name anymore) was a great super villian with multiple uses for the rings and yet he turns into a person with a magical cannon (more or less)

-very confused on second ending after credits? What is the sister doing . shes now with the orange haired guy training for what ?

-huge disney influence on the magical creatures etc. Felt more like something i would expect in a disney cartoon instead of a marvel movie

-dad uses non lethal force 99% of movie but his intentions were to kill his son with the water push

-the whole fight club-Sister has clearly the capitol to help but it never shows up until the after credit scene.

-the sisters involvement-Felt like the director struggled with her role. Shes got the same access to the powers as he did and yet she feels much weaker at times (you go kill dad i'm not up to it messaging even though in the ring she appears to be his equal)

-I expected the person in the White mask outfit to be something more (special). Felt like there was a twist coming (why is he/she wearing that) when nobody else is .

-the guy with the one hand gives this cryptic message on the bus and yet theres no real follow through on that. It was very menancing instead of im returning you to your dad?? the guys helping one hand man didnt feel like the same guys in the attack on the end

-at the end are they both turned into avengers? Wow did banner get old!

-the monster at the end was something out of Godzilla etc. Its behind this wall using clever tricks and once it escapes its just a soul sucking dragon with tentacles? I was expecting an Orcus type entity or something with charisma. Would have been 100X cooler if it first appeared as mom but then showed it true face etc

theres good martial arts and effects to make it a decent action movie but it doesnt have the soul of a good movie
-felt nothing for the villian dying
-theres was no off wow im so glad they won feeling
-theres no edge of the seat moment where maybe he wont win
-no tension really after the bus scene and even that wasnt great
-the old guy dies but hes such an unlikeable character nobody cares

-Their mom. She has to give up her powers but she should have the same powers as her kids. She shouldnt have been beaten by i think were drug lords/gangs. It seemed like she was exiled and yet has this magical dragon puzzle which doesnt make any sense other than to convince her kids that dads not insane? Dads got thousands of scrolls detailing how and yet moms the only 1 who left? Whose the family that he tells that shes just his friend in the begining? Didnt it feel like his grandmother?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, but they are probably putting Iron Fist out to pasture in the MCU, and have now positioned Shang-Chi to take that role. The whole "heart of the dragon" thing makes that pretty plain.
The extradimensional village struck me as very similar to Kun Lun as well.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
-doesnt feel like a super hero movie. In fact it felt more like a fantasy film (more like say Avatar)
It was an origin story.
-they turned abomination into a animal clown. Really disapointed in that cameo
Agreed.
-Agree on the fathers powers/rings. This guy (im not even sure if we can use his villian name anymore) was a great super villian with multiple uses for the rings and yet he turns into a person with a magical cannon (more or less)
Agreed.
-very confused on second ending after credits? What is the sister doing . shes now with the orange haired guy training for what ?
She took over her father's organization and is in charge now.
-huge disney influence on the magical creatures etc. Felt more like something i would expect in a disney cartoon instead of a marvel movie
Not Disney. Chinese mythology. It had the feel of mythical Chinese creatures, which would be appropriate for the movie.
-dad uses non lethal force 99% of movie but his intentions were to kill his son with the water push
At that point Shang Chi committed to stopping his father from rescuing his beloved wife. The woman who got him to give up 1000 years of conquest and death. She trumped him on the live/die scale.
-the whole fight club-Sister has clearly the capitol to help but it never shows up until the after credit scene.
Agreed.
-the sisters involvement-Felt like the director struggled with her role. Shes got the same access to the powers as he did and yet she feels much weaker at times (you go kill dad i'm not up to it messaging even though in the ring she appears to be his equal)
The movie is not about her. It's about Shang Chi.
-I expected the person in the White mask outfit to be something more (special). Felt like there was a twist coming (why is he/she wearing that) when nobody else is .
He was the strongest minion. It set him apart so that you knew this was the guy not to mess with.
-at the end are they both turned into avengers? Wow did banner get old!
I don't think they were Avengers at the end.
-the monster at the end was something out of Godzilla etc. Its behind this wall using clever tricks and once it escapes its just a soul sucking dragon with tentacles? I was expecting an Orcus type entity or something with charisma. Would have been 100X cooler if it first appeared as mom but then showed it true face etc
I was happy with it, but yeah, appearing as mom first would have been better.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

That is a feature, not a bug.

If all the Marvel movies were "superhero movies", we'd get bored of them very quickly. Instead, they often use "superhero" as a setting, rather than a genre. So, Shang Chi is a martial arts fantasy, in a superhero setting. Ant-Man is a heist movie, in a superhero setting. The First Avenger is a war movie, in a superhero setting. The Winter Soldier is a spy-thriller, in a superhero setting. The Eternals is an epic drama, in a superhero setting. And so on.

I happened to watch Black Widow after watching Shang-Chi and guess what I saw there? The Widows using the exact same "non-lethal" electro-baton things to beat on Natasha. I wonder who it is that is supplying those to all the villains in the MCU?

As for most of your points, I liked them the way they were and am glad they did not line up with your preferences.

And for the final boss monster, with the name of Dweller-in-the-Dark, I was expecting something Cthulhu-like, with plenty of tentacles, and I was not disappointed.

Also, people should watch the behind-the-scenes episode of Marvel Studios Assembled for Shang-Chi. It is very informative.

Remove ads