Shard Mind Shared Agony?

Shroomy

Adventurer
Now that you mention it, no, I'm not sure. I wonder if the text would specify if the limit was one reroll, or if there was no limit?

I was reviewing the power in the Compendium and while it doesn't directly specify that you are limited to one re-roll, it seems to me that the RAI was for one re-roll. That's how I would rule it until the power is errata'd.

fictionalbeing

Explorer
The Power is from Arcane Power.

I'd say it's 1 re-roll, hit or miss.

Psychic Damage bypasses any protection - the PC is choosing to be hurt, in order to get the re-roll.

At least, that's the way I see it. YMMV.

interwyrm

First Post
Miss is "reroll the attack roll" not "make the attack again"

I'm pretty certain you only get to reroll once. Also, the psychic resistance should protect him. There is no exception in the power to say otherwise.

Destil

Explorer
Miss is "reroll the attack roll" not "make the attack again"

I'm pretty certain you only get to reroll once. Also, the psychic resistance should protect him. There is no exception in the power to say otherwise.

Reading it 'by the book', I could see infinite re rolls (until dead, anyway). You reroll, you miss. You just made an attack with the power and missed, you do what the miss line says. Compare to the Monk's level 25 'Strike of Perfect Clarity', which specifically says "Do not repeat the attack again if it misses."

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I could see the reroll RAI going either way, and the damage RAI going either way too. So for now I'll go with the consensus; one reroll, resistance applies. It's borderline cheesy, but he can only do it once an encounter.

Mengu

First Post
I could see the reroll RAI going either way, and the damage RAI going either way too. So for now I'll go with the consensus; one reroll, resistance applies. It's borderline cheesy, but he can only do it once an encounter.

Think of it this way. If they didn't want the damage to be resisted, why did they type it as psychic damage? Finding a way to resist it is I think intended.

Take a look at the Shaman's Twin Panthers, the damage is a bit less, but you potentially gain a bonus to the attack, target grants CA if you hit, and you can make the attack twice(!) instead of just a reroll, and you don't take any damage for doing it, and it's a level 1 leader power rather than a level 3 striker power. Or for pure damage with no effects, take a look at a defender power like Rain of Blows, or look at a striker power like Two Fanged Strike. Shared Agony as a striker power with one reroll (even without psychic damage) is not even remotely cheesy, when compared to the multitude of multi-attack/multi-damage encounter powers.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
My gut call:

He gets to avoid the damage just fine, but it's only good for one re-roll.

Psychic resistance is a Shardmind special ability, and it doesn't come into play too often, so letting them benefit from it is great.

But the Miss effect is part of the power. So every time you use the power, you can gain the miss effect. But the miss effect doesn't say "use the power again," it says, "make the attack roll again," which means that the miss line isn't activated the second time through.

One -- free -- re-roll. Then he's done.

MrMyth

First Post
I'm pretty much in agreement with Kamikaze Midget. He avoids the psychic damage just fine. He gets one reroll. The power is certainly vague, but I think there is room for that interpretation, and it seems the most balanced one to go with.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm pretty much in agreement with Kamikaze Midget. He avoids the psychic damage just fine. He gets one reroll. The power is certainly vague, but I think there is room for that interpretation, and it seems the most balanced one to go with.

That's how I'd rule it too (and I believe its probably the RAI anyways); still a neat trick though.

cpendlet

First Post
I would allow it but only let him do it once per attack (if he misses on the second role, then he misses). Note if he used an action point and then made a second attack he could use the feature once then as well.

Edit: Oops, how did I miss Kamikaze Midget's post.

Last edited:

Remove ads