D&D 5E Share your 2020 D&D release predictions

gyor

Legend
Given that what she described is unlike anything they have done in 5E so far, it could go a lot of different ways.

The Lantan thing comes from literally years of hints from Crawford that Lantan will feature majorly in an upcoming Storyline, including future-proofed connections in Dragon Heist and Tomb of Annihilation. There are additional hints of something Planar and/or Spelljammer-y, probably tentacley, and just maybe Modrons adjacent.

I think the upcoming plotline is actually going to be Baldur's Gate 3, we know the Mindflayers have spelljammers, so going to Lantan to aquire our own Spelljammer, makes a lot of sense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the upcoming plotline is actually going to be Baldur's Gate 3, we know the Mindflayers have spelljammers, so going to Lantan to aquire our own Spelljammer, makes a lot of sense.

I don't think a direct tie-in is likely, but bridging the same "historical" space would fit in with how they've done media tie-ins (the video game has elements of a Mindflayer invasion, which is also going in in Lantan, say).

I don't dare, it would be more like a list of wishes.
Like some sort of... wishlist?

On Topic: pfft idunno. Stuff I think might happen probably won't actually happen next year. I think what they'll do is play next year safe in terms of releases, while throwing out a bunch of stuff in UA to see what sticks, and putting that in 2021's books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why does everything assume we are getting an Exandria sourcebook? I know the Green Ronin one isn't "official" in that it wasn't produced by WoTC, but what exactly will an official one have that that one didn't?

In their recent marketing survey WotC included Exandria as a selectable option for favorite Setting (while not including a number of historical D&D Settings as options), and Blood Hunter (along with Psion/Mystic and Warlord) as a selectable option for favorite D&D Class.

We're mostly interpreting this as testing the waters for interest in some WotC/Critical Role collaboration, but we'll see what comes of that.

In the past I suggested the future of game-live shows as CR would be more like streaming an asymmetric dungeon-crawling, where we would listen the player voices, but in the screen we would see something like a machinima movie. WotC has got a videogame studio. Maybe some stories will be set in Ravenloft, like a horror movie but nobody knows who will survive.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Honestly I think that Adventure Anthology is going to be based in Exandia and be a critical role tie in thing, and as such like Aquistions Inc's book, it won't count as taking up a "slot", just as the AI book did not take up a slot.

I sincerely doubt it. One, because although CR's world Exandria has some unique flavor elements, it's really not that different from a typical Medieval D&D world (Greyhawk, FR), so setting an anthology there doesn't make much sense compared to an official D&D world.

Second, I see no reason why Deborah Ann Woll or DMsGuild authors would be interested in writing for Exandria. Your whole theory that it is in that world seems centered around one of the authors being Marisha Ray, which i find implausible.

teitan

Legend
My gut is saying the anthology is horror themed with some Ravenloft related content plus a Van RIchten Guide for undead with in depth look at Vampires, Necromancy, Liches etc.

I don't know about DL as the setting, I know Perkins' comment and all but I think it's just horror themed adventures than Hickman related. Dark Sun is a far easier bet but I think it is a long shot as well. A planar themed book is also a long shot. I'd NOT be surprised by Greyhawk with DL being the following year.

Yes I see a new crunch book with Psionics as the theme. The big adventure I am not sure but I am leaning Mindflayers.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think all the dreams and wish-casting seem to forget the Woll, et al book that is currently in development.

I expect that to be a new anthology. Think Yawning Portal or Saltmarsh, but not as bringing old forward.

Remove ads