D&D 4E Sharn - 4e Eberron Chat Game

The_Traveler

Explorer
Greetings all,

We are in the process of setting up a Digichat based RPG chat game set in the city of Sharn and we are looking for both players and DMs to join in on the fun! Right now the chat is scheduled to open at the end of the month but players who join in now with the discussions on the forums will gain a special bonus when the chat goes live. This is the time when rules are being finalized so your opinions can affect how things are played when we open!

Stop in and visit us here!

We can also be found on Twitter and Facebook

Think you might want to help out on the DM/PDM side of things? Check out the info here.

Hope to see you in Breland!

The Traveler
Head DM for Sharn

Last edited:

The_Traveler

Explorer
Change of Launch Schedule:

The staff at Exodus have informed us that some complications on their end will require us to launch Sharn later than expected. Right now we are looking at January to be when we go live in order to hopefully give time for the folks at Exodus to get everything ready. In the end this gives us a little more time to talk in the forums and for DM Team to design more evil schemes to spring once we go live. Thanks for your patience!

The Traveler
Head DM for Sharn

The_Traveler

Explorer
Rules Discussion:

The DM team is asking for player feedback on potential rules for drugs (Dreamlily, Absentia, etc) and addiction to 4e. You can find the proposed rules in the forums here.

The Traveler
Head DM for Sharn

The_Traveler

Explorer
Rules Discussion: Orcs

Orcs hold a special place in Eberron history and in the region of the Shadow Marches. PC racial write up and racial feats have been posted for discussion here.

The Traveler
Head DM for Sharn

The_Traveler

Explorer
The Sharn Inquisitive Accepting Articles:

Feel that goblin rights are being violated, the food served at The Oaks was not up to par, witnessed a crime people need to know about and want to earn a little extra xp? Write a news article about it and e-mail it to one of the DM team for approval. If we like it you will receive an XP bonus and your article will be posted for all to read. Check out the details here.

buddhafrog

First Post
OK, so I'm intrigued, but I don't really get it. 10 minutes on your website (which looks really nice and well organized) didn't answer my questions either. I'm sure I was just looking in the wrong places but got frustrated doing so and thought I might not be the only one -- so I came here to ask and maybe others could get answers too.

I don't even get what a rpg chat is. I'm a sort-of newbie only returning last year after 25+ year absence. Inform me, please. Do you mean you will be running a rpg-by-chat (as opposed to posts)? Will you be running several games? Is this where Eberron PC's can make their real-world (digiworld) guilds, etc?

God, I feel old.

Whatever the heck it is that you're doing, god bless you, because it looks like you believe in it! I'm just getting into Eberron and really love the setting so far.

The_Traveler

Explorer
OK, so I'm intrigued, but I don't really get it. 10 minutes on your website (which looks really nice and well organized) didn't answer my questions either. I'm sure I was just looking in the wrong places but got frustrated doing so and thought I might not be the only one -- so I came here to ask and maybe others could get answers too.

I don't even get what a rpg chat is. I'm a sort-of newbie only returning last year after 25+ year absence. Inform me, please. Do you mean you will be running a rpg-by-chat (as opposed to posts)? Will you be running several games? Is this where Eberron PC's can make their real-world (digiworld) guilds, etc?

God, I feel old.

Whatever the heck it is that you're doing, god bless you, because it looks like you believe in it! I'm just getting into Eberron and really love the setting so far.

Thank you for asking the question! I have been debating if I needed to make a sort of "how this thing works" post and it seems I probably should. I doubt you are the only one wondering.

With this style of chat based game the rooms of the chat are setup to be different places within the setting which in this case would be Sharn. So there would be rooms for: Upper Dura, Middle Dura, Lower Tavick's Landing, The Cogs, The King of Fire, etc.

The chat is up and open at all times allowing players to login and role-play together in the various locations in the city and if needed make new temporary rooms to represent places that we may not have on the permanent room list. The chat also keeps track of character sheets which can only be modified by members of the DM team. When you create a new character you will need to wait for it to be approved by a DM before going in character with it. This is so we can make sure characters are only using chat approved materials.

The DM team is a group of volunteers who login when they have time to run scenes (short events, meeting NPC contacts, etc) or adventures (more in line of what you might expect in a typical table top game session) for those who are online. They might post adventure sign up/announcements in the forums ahead of time or just spring something on those who are already in character on the chat.

Players can freely form organizations among themselves or join one of the existing ones from the setting if they meet the requirements. We will be working to accommodate PC run guilds in the forums by providing them with their own subforum if requested. Some of the official groups people could join: The Sharn Watch, The Boromar Clan, The Daask, The King's Citadel, The Deathsgate Adventurers Guild, etc.

I hope this gives you a better idea of what it is all about. Feel free to post any further questions here or you can contact me directly by e-mail.

The Traveler
Head DM for Sharn

Last edited:

twilsemail

First Post
Will mechanics and dice-rolling be seen in your chat based system?

How will you sort out the conflict in the flow of time? An adventure can take weeks or months to complete IRL while the PCs have only spent a few days traipsing about. Or will adventures be limited to an encounter or two?

The_Traveler

Explorer
Will mechanics and dice-rolling be seen in your chat based system?

How will you sort out the conflict in the flow of time? An adventure can take weeks or months to complete IRL while the PCs have only spent a few days traipsing about. Or will adventures be limited to an encounter or two?

We will have a dice roller that displays the roll results for everyone using it and 4e mechanics will be used.

One day in the chat equates to one day in the real world. Most adventures are written to be wrapped up in one day and do not interfere with playing the character involved elsewhere. It is also possible for adventures to be broken into multiple parts to allow for a longer story. Doing this keeps characters able to play in the regular chat between the parts. In the event of characters traveling to other locations or for some reason are not in a position to leave the events of an adventure the characters will be locked. Locked characters can only interact with characters that are traveling with them/in the same adventure until released by a DM. We will try to avoid locking characters as much as possible and try to warn in advance that a given adventure may take your character out of general play for a little while.

Fortunately with Eberron cross country travel is usually fairly quick with access to the lightning rail or airships.

The Traveler
Head DM for Sharn

buddhafrog

First Post
thank you - I mostly understand! This sounds really cool if it can work - it does sound like a lot of work on your end.

So if in my last game I was in the Upper Dura, but I logged in today and that chat was empty, but The Cogs was active, could I just jump down there? Would the storyline be free like that or tight so that I'd have to wait to rejoin where I left off?

Remove ads