Sharn: How is it?

jaults

First Post
I paged through Sharn: City of Towers at the book store, and it looked pretty cool. But I'd like a reccomendation from someone who's read it in a bit more depth than that. Is it useful to those of us not playing an Eberron camapign?

Thanks,
Jason

fredramsey

First Post
I seriously doubt it.

But, for those of us playing in Eberron (why aren't you? ;-), then it is fantastic. Just like the main book, there is potential adventure on every page.

jaults said:
I paged through Sharn: City of Towers at the book store, and it looked pretty cool. But I'd like a reccomendation from someone who's read it in a bit more depth than that. Is it useful to those of us not playing an Eberron camapign?

Thanks,
Jason

Psion

Adventurer
Well I have it, and am evaluating it for export to my own non-Eberron game as a planar metropolis.

But alas, I am not done reading it yet, so I can't say what the answer is to the question we are both asking.

Mystery Man

First Post
One of my players bought it. Glancing at it myself I get the impression that it's Waterdeep with a different cover. Getting a closer look at it may change my impression.

fredramsey

First Post
And Waterdeep is just Lankhmar with a different name... ;)

Each city has wonders and horrors that differentiate it from all others.

Mystery Man said:
One of my players bought it. Glancing at it myself I get the impression that it's Waterdeep with a different cover. Getting a closer look at it may change my impression.

Mystery Man

First Post
fredramsey said:
And Waterdeep is just Lankhmar with a different name... ;)

Each city has wonders and horrors that differentiate it from all others.
Browsing thru, got to City of the Dead, closed the book with a sigh.

Mystery Man

First Post
Psion said:
He's got you there. That sounds just a teensy bit knee-jerk. ;)
Yeah, he really showed me...

Tell you what if I read the whole thing and find an inn where you can have yourself lowered down to Undermountain or whatever Sharn has for its great big dungeon under the city I'm going to do more than jerk a knee. Probably have a stroke. But like I said, first impression.

Last edited:

fredramsey

First Post
Well, there's your first revelation to come.

Sharn is built on top of thousands of years of cities. There is no impossibly high level lich creating a maze for characters to slay monsters and gain treasure, that sells t-shirts to give to your friends who stayed at home. :p

There is, however, the possibility of hundreds of "dungeons", from the time of the Dhakanni empire, or some of the other times in it's history when cities on the site of Sharn were destroyed.

Sharn is very much bound up in the history of Eberron. Without a firm grounding in the setting, there is going to be large portions of Sharn that don't make sense.

Mystery Man said:
Yeah, he really showed me...

Tell you what if I read the whole thing and find an inn where you can have yourself lowered down to Undermountain or whatever Sharn has for its great big dungeon under the city I'm going to do more than jerk a knee. Probably have a stroke.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases