D&D 5E Sharpshooter/Great Weapon Master and Why They Are Broken 101.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's why it is more important to know what the DM is actually having come up in the campaign than it is to know whats in the books - because there only being a few cases of Intelligence saves in the book has no bearing at all on how often they will come up in the campaign.

Iknowthatbuttheplayershavemoreorlessfiguredouthowbadintellig

I know that but they players have figured out how bad intelligence is in 5E, its the ultimate dump stat unless you are a wizard, Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight.

There are what 2 Monsters (3?) in the MM with intelligence saves and only 1 spell off the top of my head with intelligence saves. This means those classes with good intelligence saves for all intents and purposes only have 1 good save short of a Mindflayer campaign using feeblemind. You are almost better off multiclassing into a Rogue as a fighter for better saves as con saves are very common (poison, spells, concentration) and there are a few strength saves around as well. Same thing for Druids and Wizards if you do not mind losing a spellcaster level or were thinking of MCing anyway.

And since so many saves are wis/dex/con they may as well have gone with fort/ref/will saves.

Zardnaar

Legend
That statement is less accurate than this one with two key differences (in bold for emphasis):

"I know that but my players have figured out how bad intelligence is in my campaigns..."

Name all the intelligence saves in the game? I do not ruyn a Mindflayer centric campaign the tools are somewhat limited in 5E.

I'm happy to use Mindflayers, Intellect Devourers etc in the game I have not really figured out a plt involving them yet or used an adventure where they have been put in .

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm fine with it on a personal level it just makes things like hexcrawls very hard to design and something 5E does not do well.
Not that hard, you just have to be willing to limit rests, not leave them on a strict hour/day schedule. You're exploring the wilderness, no, you do not get the benefit of a long rest for sleeping under the stars and eating those mushrooms the ranger found, you're out there for weeks, have your 6-8 encounters, get your long rest when you get home. Your raiding a stronghold, you don't stop for an hour to have lunch, but you're loaded for bear and running on adrenaline, even a few moments to pause between fighting/running/hiding and bandage wounds, adjust gear, and center yourself is good for short rest benefits. It's all context - and rulings.

5e does it as well as it does anything else: exactly as well as the DM handles it.

Name all the intelligence saves in the game?
I can't because there's so many of them...? No? ;P

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Name all the intelligence saves in the game?
That question shows me that you don't get what I was saying - as what I was saying is that you have found what your group knows about your campaigns, not a universal truth of 5th edition.

Also, there are more reasons why players could find intelligence to be a useful ability score than spells and saving throws - they are all conveniently listed under "intelligence" in the "using ability scores" section of the rules.

Zardnaar

Legend
That question shows me that you don't get what I was saying - as what I was saying is that you have found what your group knows about your campaigns, not a universal truth of 5th edition.

Also, there are more reasons why players could find intelligence to be a useful ability score than spells and saving throws - they are all conveniently listed under "intelligence" in the "using ability scores" section of the rules.

We do as there is often a wizard or other high intelligence member of the party. Its just compared with all the other stats outside of skills intelligence does nothing. No bonus skills or even languages and tools for being smart. No combat bonuses either unless you cast wizard spells. If you use the default array it is really hard to make a point of not making your intelligence the dump stat short of it would be useful if someone in the party did not suck at it (aka the wizard).

Lehrbuch

First Post
I know that but they players have figured out how bad intelligence is in 5E, its the ultimate dump stat unless you are a wizard, Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight.

All depends on the individual players and the DM's game. In truth, there are no dump stats, just different characters.

Corwin

Explorer
We use Intelligence all the time in our games. Do we make a lot of Int *saves*? No. But we use it for all manner of checks. Knowledge. Investigation. Games of skill. To say the stat is useless is a farce. Not in our games, anyway.

Zardnaar

Legend
We use Intelligence all the time in our games. Do we make a lot of Int *saves*? No. But we use it for all manner of checks. Knowledge. Investigation. Games of skill. To say the stat is useless is a farce. Not in our games, anyway.

That's basically what we do as well. All stats have skill checks on them but intelligence has sod all else. The other stats are more relevant a lot more in some cases.

Remove ads