• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shaun of the Dead

Fast Learner

First Post
I caught a preview screening of Shaun of the Dead last night: what a hoot!

It's being billed as a romantic comedy zombie film, and that's precisely what it is. It's not a parody or spoof, mind you, but rather a funny zombie flick made by people who really dig zombie movies.

The story follows Shaun, a working class "loser," a guy who can't really get his life together even though he's 30 now and is about to lose his girlfriend over his slacker-dom. In the midst of dealing with his work problems and romantic problems we get zombies, and lots of them.

The zombies are my favorite kind, the slow, relentless, shambling Romero-style critters. There's tons of nasty zombiness, with plenty of ripping out of guts and nasty holes and all kinds of stuff, with plenty of tense moments, yet it's all embedded in some incredibly funny British humo(u)r, the kind that had me laughing out loud over and over.

In my opinion, it's an instant cult hit, and a film that anyone who can even stand a zombie movie will love.

Kickass soundtrack, great special effects, tons of clever allusions to other zombie films, enjoyalbe characters, good acting, and some really slick directing (the vast majority of the time, most especially in the beginning).

If your'e familiar with British TV, these are the same guys who did Spaced on Channel 4 there.

Highly recommended if you like romantic (kinda) comedies (very) or zombies, or both.

ddvmor

I'm a little teapot!
As a Brit, I'm pleased to say that I saw this months ago. It's one of the funniest and coolest movies I've ever seen.
Listen to Mr Learner and do as he says. Go and see the movie. Do it. Do it now.

Ferret

Explorer
I can do no more then repeat the above.

As a Brit, I'm pleased to say that I saw this months ago. It's one of the funniest and coolest movies I've ever seen.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I must do the same and repeat the above.

As a Finn and a crazy zombieness liker, I'm pleased to say that I saw this yesterday. It's the funniest and coolest zombie movie I've ever seen.

;)

Khayman

First Post
ddvmor said:
Is there an echo in here?

echo... echo...

Sorry. Too much Zork. ;)

Still waiting for the film to make it to my market. My friends in England also give it a collective thumbs up. One claims it saved his marriage, though he's something of a zombie himself...

MonsterMash

First Post
I saw it while it was on release in the UK and really enjoyed it. The poster with the zombies in the tube train was very reminiscent of my commute to work though! And of course the tube does not go to Crouch End!

Remove ads