Sherlock Holmes

Ace

Adventurer
Mr. Holmes IMO was a high level expert about 12th to 15th. A few levels (3 maybe) of rogue and or aristocrat could easily be justified along the way.
His BAB is pretty as is noted one of the stories Holmes shot a fleeing Adnaman Islander in the back in the dark from something like 25 yards with his revolver, No mean feat...

In addition to the Education feat a few people here have mentioned
He also had Aleartness, Improved Unarmed Combat, Improved Trip, Improved Grapple (the hth feats represent his expertise in Baritsu a combative judo like art of the period).

Also Holmes had very, very high stats
Something like
16+ str several stories mention his incredible strength
18+ int
16+ wis Super aleart
14+ dex
16+ con
16+ cha

I won't do the skills here but they were high especially in Spot and Sense Motive which he used synergistically with the Science skills to make those amazing deductive leaps. Oh and don't forget disguise skill

Three more possible helps.

It may be worth while to hunt up Living death 3e victorian sourcebook at http://www.livingdeath.org/

Also I don't currently have Song and Silence in front of me but Holmes could be given some sort of deductive power from a PRC wouldn't be out of line.

And finally Dr, Watson

The good doctor should not be underestimated! He was intellegent and competent in his own right.
While no match for the almost super human Holmes, Dr. Watson could hold his own intelectually or physically.

He was both an MD and a veteran of the Afghan war after all and a fair detective.

I would say he was warrior 1-2 expert 5-7 or so with decent stats and skills.

Vander

First Post
Great ideas! I am leaning towards 1 level of Aristocrat (have to begin with that one), then Expert with a few Rogue thrown in along the way. I agree with the Skills, no idea on Feats, but dont think the ability scores will be quite that high.

Do you think a character like this will fit into an average adventuring party? Will he be useful? I think yes.

Any Feats come to mind, either out of the Core books or Dragon, etc.? Thanks for the suggestions.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Ace said:
Also Holmes had very, very high stats
Something like
16+ str several stories mention his incredible strength
18+ int
16+ wis Super aleart
14+ dex
16+ con
16+ cha

I'll agree with the Int and Wis, and have no real problems with Str and Dex (though I think I'd flip them). His Cha and especially Con are trouble spots for me; I'd put him at 13-14 Cha and 10 Con.

Ace

Adventurer
CRGreathouse said:

I'll agree with the Int and Wis, and have no real problems with Str and Dex (though I think I'd flip them). His Cha and especially Con are trouble spots for me; I'd put him at 13-14 Cha and 10 Con.

I think you are right about the Charisma on second thought. I was thinking of Holmes force of personality which was considerable. 14 is about right...

As far as the CON goes Holmes survived a fall of the Richenbach (sp)waterfall, seemed to have unfailing stamina and used cocaine with no ill effects.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Ace said:
As far as the CON goes Holmes survived a fall of the Richenbach (sp)waterfall, seemed to have unfailing stamina and used cocaine with no ill effects.

All as a result of beiong a high-level character with good base saves and many hit dice. I still stay with Con 10.

Just think - an Exp14 with Con 10 has 49 hit points. This is enough to fall 80 feet and survive - automatically. Any more is just pushing it.

Remove ads