Shield Enchanting Confusion

Darkness8Me

First Post
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring the costs of shields that have also been enchanted as weapons. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

From the SRD:
Shields: Shield enhancement bonuses stack with armor enhancement bonuses. Shield enhancement bonuses do not act as attack or damage bonuses when the shield is used in a bash. The bashing shield enchantment, however, does grant a +1 bonus to attacks and damage (see the item description). You could, in fact, build a shield that also acted as a magic weapon, but the magic offensive bonus cost would need to be added into the defensive bonus cost of the shield.

This leads me to believe that the magical ability cost for a shield that had a +3 enhancement to attack and and +2 to AC would be 22,000 (18,000 Weapon + 4,000 Shield).

However, the only example I could find of an offensive shield was the Shield of Vigilance (a +1 bashing shock large steel shield) in Magic of Faerun. The magical ability cost was only 9000 (a +3 shield). This suggests to me that shields enchanted as weapons use the armor/shield tables to determine price. So the shield I mentioned before would cost 25,000.

Can anyone tell me which method (or other method) is correct? If it is the first method, can a shield be a +10 weapon and a +10 shield?

Last, how does the bashing ability affects the cost of the attack enhancements for a shield? The ability description states that the shield acts a +1 weapon when used to bash. So what would a +3 (attack & AC) bashing shield cost?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Yes, it is the first method; yes; it can be used in place of weapon enhancements, but if use in conjection with it overlaps (does not stack); 34170 gp if its a large steel shield.

reapersaurus

First Post
this is funny - Darkness, you and I are working on the same thing here, and I just now had the exact same question you did, and lo and behold, you posted yours! :)

Wild - the COSTS stack, not the bonuses.
So.
Just for argument -
If you had a +1 Bashing Shield (way overpriced at 4,000) and added +1 weapon enchantment to it (2,000), would you get any benefit from the +1 weapon enchantment?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
reapersaurus said:
this is funny - Darkness, you and I are working on the same thing here, and I just now had the exact same question you did, and lo and behold, you posted yours! :)

Wild - the COSTS stack, not the bonuses.
So.
Just for argument -
If you had a +1 Bashing Shield (way overpriced at 4,000) and added +1 weapon enchantment to it (2,000), would you get any benefit from the +1 weapon enchantment?

It wouldn't give you an attack or damage bonus, but it would allow you to add additional weapon enhancements to it. (The bashing enhantment only kicks in when you are attacking, it wouldn't allow you to add additional weapon abilities.)

reapersaurus

First Post
does that make sense to anyone else, why making a magical weapon out of it WOULDN'T give it a bonus?
Is there any other item in the entiore game that that happens to?

And on a related rules note:
Since the +1 Bashing shield is already a magic weapon, wouldn't it seem reasonable that if you wanted to add weapon enchantments, you wouldn't have to add on that (useless apparently in this case) starting +1 enchantment?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
reapersaurus said:
does that make sense to anyone else, why making a magical weapon out of it WOULDN'T give it a bonus?
Is there any other item in the entiore game that that happens to?

And on a related rules note:
Since the +1 Bashing shield is already a magic weapon, wouldn't it seem reasonable that if you wanted to add weapon enchantments, you wouldn't have to add on that (useless apparently in this case) starting +1 enchantment?

If you want to use it as a weapon, enchant it as a weapon. If you also want the bashing ability, pay the extra +4000 gp for that benefit.

Here's my shield question: does a +1 shield of bashing with a +2 enhancement bonus to attack cost 12,170 gp (armor not weapon), 12,320 gp (armor and weapon, overlap), or 12,470 gp (armor and weapon, stack)? I assumed the first, but I could be wrong.

reapersaurus

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
If you want to use it as a weapon, enchant it as a weapon. If you also want the bashing ability, pay the extra +4000 gp for that benefit.
ahh... but it IS enchanted as a weapon.

At least, the weapon bonus it grants from being a Bashing sheild doesn't stack.

So how can it go both ways?
Either it's a weapon, and it doesn't stack with the +1 enchantment bonus you could give it as a +1 weapon (2,000 g.p.), but it already couonts as having a +1 weapon bonus (you shouldn't have to pay for something that doesn't count)

And you didn't answer my question, CR:
does it make sense to you that no other weapon in the game follows those restrictions and omissions?
(or am i off on that conclusion?)

If anyone can come up with other examples, please do.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
reapersaurus said:
ahh... but it IS enchanted as a weapon.

At least, the weapon bonus it grants from being a Bashing sheild doesn't stack.

So how can it go both ways?
Either it's a weapon, and it doesn't stack with the +1 enchantment bonus you could give it as a +1 weapon (2,000 g.p.), but it already couonts as having a +1 weapon bonus (you shouldn't have to pay for something that doesn't count)

And you didn't answer my question, CR:
does it make sense to you that no other weapon in the game follows those restrictions and omissions?
(or am i off on that conclusion?)

If anyone can come up with other examples, please do.

Think of it as working like adamantine weapons - you still need to enchant it as a weapon even if it has a bonus already. This, to me, is straightforward in the rules.

What perplexes me is the 150/300/450 cost for masterworking...

Remove ads