• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Shield Saltiness

Ace

Adventurer
This won't prevent too many challenges other than normally armored/shielded PC's will lose an action which means they'll risk an extra hit compared to others. This is not a big deal really and so long as it isn't ambush after ambush by heavily equipped foes, its fine.

As an aside, D&D would benefit from a proper buckler. It was the main personal defense for walking about and in cities for many many centuries. Its like a pan lid kind of and serves as weapon and armor both and is easy to carry hung from the belt.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
This makes me think that I'll now ask my players to have 2 character sheets: one for your adventuring day, ready-for-anything and one for a day in town. Characters using the same equipment in-town as in a regular adventure will receive the appropriate reactions from other NPCs. They'll need to invest in different clothing, maintain their lifestyle, carry more ''gentlemen'' weapons or tools-as-weapons etc.

Oofta

Legend
This makes me think that I'll now ask my players to have 2 character sheets: one for your adventuring day, ready-for-anything and one for a day in town. Characters using the same equipment in-town as in a regular adventure will receive the appropriate reactions from other NPCs. They'll need to invest in different clothing, maintain their lifestyle, carry more ''gentlemen'' weapons or tools-as-weapons etc.
Except that the barbarian, monk, sorcerer warlock and wizard will only have 1 character sheet. The dex based martial types, and bards will see their AC drop by 2 which has minimal impact..

The only ones that will need 2 sheets are PCs in heavy armor. Which, again, if armor was as good as it should be wouldn't be that big of a deal. But when everyone in the party can get within a point or two of AC with the heavy armor types I think it's a stupid way to penalize an archetype.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Hm. I thought it was common practice to have two different character sheets (one for battle dress, and another for plain clothes/sleeping.) The thought of always wearing full combat armor wherever you go and whatever you are doing is just...silly...

1607558965385.png

Tales and Chronicles

Except that the barbarian, monk, sorcerer warlock and wizard will only have 1 character sheet. The dex based martial types, and bards will see their AC drop by 2 which has minimal impact..
Its not only armor that seems out-of-place in polite society (which is not the case of Barovia, mind you), but also weapons and open spellcasting. So all classes lose something: barbarians and martials will carry a walking stick instead of their big swords, spellcaster will need to invest in subtle meta casting etc.

That is, if they do care about their social standing; its not like the guard will attack on sight the barbarian that is carrying his weapon, he just wont make a lot of friends :p

And there's nothing that prevent the armor users to invest in a common magic item or a war regalia that would merge comfort, social flashiness and defensive bonus! its just a way to allow players to think of their character outside the adventuring context (if time allows).

Oofta

Legend
Its not only armor that seems out-of-place in polite society (which is not the case of Barovia, mind you), but also weapons and open spellcasting. So all classes lose something: barbarians and martials will carry a walking stick instead of their big swords, spellcaster will need to invest in subtle meta casting etc.

That is, if they do care about their social standing; its not like the guard will attack on sight the barbarian that is carrying his weapon, he just wont make a lot of friends :p

And there's nothing that prevent the armor users to invest in a common magic item or a war regalia that would merge comfort, social flashiness and defensive bonus! its just a way to allow players to think of their character outside the adventuring context (if time allows).
If the party is being attacked and go to defend themselves, do you really think anyone is going to hold back? I mean, casting fireball on a crowded street is probably not a good idea, but disintegrate away! The barbarian? That's not a quarterstaff, it's a walking stick!

I mean, I'm trying to remember a single scene in LOTR where Gimli was not wearing armor. It's been a while, but I can't think of one. Even when they're sitting around drinking he's wearing it. So it's not just a D&D trope, it's common imagery. I mean if you're a bard and care whether people think you're pretty maybe it matters. But my 8 charisma dwarf? Nope.

Tales and Chronicles

I mean if you're a bard and care whether people think you're pretty maybe it matters. But my 8 charisma dwarf? Nope.
And that's okay. Like I said, some NPC may care, others may not. That dwarf will probably be considered a weirdo at the duke's annual dance, with his armor, backpack, axes etc but with 8 CHA he was probably out of his depth anyway :p

And if they are attacked in a situation were they are using their casual gear, that's okay. Some character's will lose more, some less. Its not like the monk is suddenly an OP class because of this. This means that the armor users will invest in cast-off armors, armors of gleaming, subtle elven chains, parade armor etc that would allow them to still wear their stuff without to much social reprobation.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Almost as silly as this guy wearing pajamas having a better AC
View attachment 129894
Better than what? A man in full plate? Or me, sitting here eating Cheetos?

Nobody's challenging the effectiveness of armor. We're discussing whether or not a character's equipment should have any bearing on how other people react to them. Will the locals react with fear, or awe? Will the guards get nervous and assume they are up to no good, or will they ask for the name of the armorsmith who made their breastplate?

Some players expect (or insist) the DM ignore or handwave this stuff, but I never do. I think it's an important part of roleplaying.

Last edited:

This is false. Armor is rarely all that heavy if you aren't exerting yourself much, and are in good shape. Only badly made armor feels heavy enough to be annoying. It certainly isn't cumbersome, chafing, or annoying to wear, unless it literally doesn't fit you or is poorly made.
No its not false.

Have you worn a plate carrier and helmet around Asia for a day? When you have, come back and let me know.

At the end of the day all you want to do is take it off.

Remove ads