Shifter = instant army

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
From the draft SRD...

"Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its original form."

I guess it all depends on your interpretation on "part of the body or piece of equipment". I would say that an egg pellet and poisons are neiter parts of the body or equipment. Egg pellets aside, removing the usefulness of poisons kinda cuts into the druid's coolest ability. That is, of course, just my $0.02.

Galfridus

First Post
Greatwyrm said:
From the draft SRD...

"Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its original form."

I guess it all depends on your interpretation on "part of the body or piece of equipment". I would say that an egg pellet and poisons are neiter parts of the body or equipment. Egg pellets aside, removing the usefulness of poisons kinda cuts into the druid's coolest ability. That is, of course, just my $0.02.

The Masters of the Wild description of Wild Shape does not have any reference to Polymorph, nor does it mention one way or the other what happens to items/parts separated from the whole. OTOH, it does say that you get the Extraordinary abilities of the form you assume. IMO, since there is no statement to the contrary, this means poison (and the Slaad Implant ability) would work.

Of course, the slaad "instant army" trick is very very Evil IMO, so would only show up as an NPC stunt. (Run an NPC Shifter who pulls all sorts of evil shapeshifting tricks? Where do I sign up? :))

For good Shifters, just use the ooze Split ability and xerox yourself a few thousand times...

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I don't have MotW with me, but I believe you are correct. I was basing my earlier post on the original Wild Shape in the PHB, which is identical to Polymorph, except where noted. Since MotW basically adds a lot more "where noted" items and clarifies a number of points, I figured the ability is still essentially a derivative of Polymorph.

HeavyG

First Post
Greatwyrm said:
In most cases, this can be covered with a few days of down-time and a number of Summon Nature's Ally spells. You just summon up whatever you haven't seen in person yet and get a good look at it.

I wouldn't let you summon animals you've never heard of either. :rolleyes:

Hand of Vecna

First Post
I'd say "yes," since a Fiendish Ape is just an "evil" ape ("evil" in quotes because it doesn't actually have the Evil subtype)...

a Druid from a temperate swampland should not be able to summon a polar bear, or wild shape into one, though (unless he's had quite a bit of adventurng in an arctic land, or perhaps some sort of exotic zoo...)

Last edited:

noretoc

First Post
off topic - summning crit you haven't seen.

I would allow the druid to wildshape into things she hasn't seen. The reason is the druid nature sense and general class knowledge. Even if she hasn't seen a polar bear, any druid should know about one. The wild change isn't her trying to copy a creature by looking at it and figuring out everything. If that was the caqse, then how would she know how the posion of a snake worked enough to duplicate it. When she picks the animal to change nature does the rest. That same power that lets her identify plants and animals, give her knowledge of them. As she gets higher, and get closer to nature, then she learns about other types like dire, etc. Almost a magical knowledge, but not quite. Just my 2 cents.

Remove ads