D&D 5E Short/Long Rest in LMoP

Nebulous

Legend
I'm well versed in 5e and have run plenty of games, but I have a slight problem in Lost Mine and wanted to ask how others would handle it.

The PCs are finally in Wave Echo Cave and have been through a few encounters and a couple of them are beat up. They found the storage area at Room #7 and I told them it looks like it can be barricaded. They know how small it is but it looks fairly safe, except there's no escape route. Five people and a big spider pet could reasonably rest in there.

They are at the cusp of leveling to 5th but I normally only allow Level Up after a Long Rest. They rested this very morning before delving into the dungeon (woke up, had coffee, studied magic and then went in to fight stuff) so only maybe 2 hours have passed (including a short rest very recently, like, within half an hour of the last fight). I know my players and they will want/need a Long Rest to recharge their hit points and spell slots to full capacity and get back half HD. But it's another roughly 20 hours before they can benefit from another long rest. That's a long time to spend holed up in a closet with no light, no heat, cramped, with the wave echo rumbling occasionally and enemies scratching around, and the Black Spider knows where they are at all times via spider automatons. He even talks to them via the automatons.

But the group NEEDS to level up. They could try to leave the mine and go back outside, but they only killed one of the hill giants, so there's the other hill giant and he's brought back 3 ogre lackeys, so there's a deadly level fight waiting just outside. I did that because I didn't want them going into the mine and walking back out to the campsite after every fight to LR, which is what they would do. Even if they did kill all the ogres and giant there's still potential random mountain encounters or maybe things come out of the mine to interrupt their rest.

There's another subplot where some renegade drow are nearby in a lower level. The BS wants them gone, so he might/maybe trade Gundren the dwarf to the PCs if they kill the drow first. (He's kept Gundren alive since Cragmaw in case the PCs found Wave Echo and he needed a bargaining chip). Does this mean he would let them rest in the storage room for 20 hours until they are fully healed? Can they even rest enough in the storage closet to benefit? I would think not, and it gives them the precedent to go back there every time they want.

Should I give them a partial 1 hour short rest in the storage room and Level them to 5th with partial level bonus, such as reduced hit points and reduced slots? The wizard gets two 3rd level spell slots normally.

What are some options I can use that give them a boost but doesn't make them feel safe in the mine or that they can rest wherever they want? I'm already incorporating random encounters % every hour or two hours, but that wouldn't have much impact inside a barricaded storage room unless I go out of my way to root them out. I always forget about any sleeping in armor penalty, although that wouldn't affect the monk or wizard, so only the paladin and ranger and cleric would need to doff armor.

IMO no. They have screwed themselves over by doing what they have done. They need to learn a lesson. You need to break their habit of resting after every challenge or at least as often as they do.

Either the Black Spider;

1) Is going to attack them in their hole before they can rest, Perhaps set a fire outside their door and try to smoke them out. Inject poison gas through the door, or just beat down the door.

2) or it's going to setup a fortification just outside the door and when they come out attack with superior coverage and with all sorts of traps and ranged attacks readied.

3) Just leave. If they believe the party will be likely to wipe them out when they emerge from the room then the BS will not stick around to be killed. Monsters are not stupid, nor are they just there as obstacles to the players. So they leave, they take all their treasure and go somewhere else. Maybe they even attack Phandelver while the party is resting. Whatever it is, the plot has changed, and the party might just lose because they failed to act when they could have.

None of this is to say that you need to orchestrate a TPK, but having the party fail does not mean they "lost the game". It just means the story doesn't play out as written. Adapt and overcome!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Though it's a common house rule, D&D 5e does not actually have a rule that requires resting in order to level up. I strongly recommend that DMs keep it that way as a level-up mid-adventure does provide the PCs with some extra resources that will keep them moving forward without resting. Of course, this may be too late for your game as you've already implemented the house rule.

Typically in adventure locations with a dense enough amount of threats, I take resting off the table. The PCs have to fall back, giving up ground they've gained, and leaving an opening for whatever remains to restock, if possible, or otherwise prepare themselves for future incursions. Sometimes I will include special locations, often found behind secret doors or the like, where the PC can rest, but they have to set about trying to find these and there's no guarantee.

In your case, I would tell them rest is off the table in the dungeon, add a couple traps or ambushes for when they return, and call it good.

Fenris447

Explorer
How important is the 1/LR per day rule to you? I'd simply handwave it and allow the Long Rest. Alternatively, I once had my LMOP party find potions that, when drank over the course of 10 minutes, provided the same benefits as if they had just long rested. It was a bit deus ex machina, and two of them decided to hang on to the potion, which caused me a headache later. But it worked out better for maintaining the tension of the plot and its timing.

But really, how integral is it that they level up? My players managed to make it through WEC at level 4, and that's even with me beefing it up a fair bit.

Nebulous

Legend
How important is the 1/LR per day rule to you? I'd simply handwave it and allow the Long Rest. Alternatively, I once had my LMOP party find potions that, when drank over the course of 10 minutes, provided the same benefits as if they had just long rested. It was a bit deus ex machina, and two of them decided to hang on to the potion, which caused me a headache later. But it worked out better for maintaining the tension of the plot and its timing.

But really, how integral is it that they level up? My players managed to make it through WEC at level 4, and that's even with me beefing it up a fair bit.

The LR/day is something I've done since we started, but I'm willing to fudge it here. As for leveling up to 5th, it is fairly important. I'm changing the mine enough so that there's a whole regiment of drow and spellcasters and the Black Spider himself is probably CR 8 now, and he has hordes of void spider minions which are basically endless, I can pop up 12 of them as needed. And the wizard specifically asked me if they will level to 5th before meeting the BS and I said yes.

Nebulous

Legend
I level up between sessions, but not during. I also try to disincline my players from a 5 minute work day. If you take resource management out of the game it changes everything about encounter planning.

I absolutely don't want to take resource management out of the game, I think it is vitally important and dwindling resources vs. full nova as needed is crucial.

Nebulous

Legend
Though it's a common house rule, D&D 5e does not actually have a rule that requires resting in order to level up. I strongly recommend that DMs keep it that way as a level-up mid-adventure does provide the PCs with some extra resources that will keep them moving forward without resting. Of course, this may be too late for your game as you've already implemented the house rule.

Typically in adventure locations with a dense enough amount of threats, I take resting off the table. The PCs have to fall back, giving up ground they've gained, and leaving an opening for whatever remains to restock, if possible, or otherwise prepare themselves for future incursions. Sometimes I will include special locations, often found behind secret doors or the like, where the PC can rest, but they have to set about trying to find these and there's no guarantee.

In your case, I would tell them rest is off the table in the dungeon, add a couple traps or ambushes for when they return, and call it good.

Well I had the idea of giving them a short rest in Area #7 and let them level up to 5th, but don't give them full hit point recharge and spell slot recharge. Would that be a fair compromise? And it might only work once in the storage room, they can't go back there every hour and even get a short rest if the BS wants them out. Fire, poison, etc could force them to run.

JeffB

Legend
Since their sleep/rest is likely to be interrupted, give them a partial rest. Spellcasters only get a slot or two of 1st or 2nd level spells...they get back half the HP and HD they normally would on a LR, etc..

That way they get something- but now they hopefully learn a lesson. And if they try it again after your generosity, eff em. Bust the doors down and let the monsters have at it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases