D&D 5E Should 5e have more classes (Poll and Discussion)?

Should D&D 5e have more classes?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
For OP I think there are too many classes and I’d rather see them rationalised more into Combat-Skills-Magic with subclass expansions.

Just to get back on topic.

5e could use a Scholar/Sage class.

You know.... a smart adventurer who uses knowledge that isn't magic. Science, Tactics, Math, History, Diplomacy.

I once GMd a guy who was a real life engineer who decided his PC would also be an Engineer - the game involved exploration and extension of the sewers of a fantasy city (based on the Sewers of Paris), it worked because he knew what he was doing and would give advice from a real engineers perspective, I just had to complicate things.

But it was a challenge for me and that is why I think scholar classes are difficult. Most people dont have expertise on the History and Natural Physics of the Forgotten Realms and so playing a class that does those things becomes a case of asking the DM for more data rather than ‘playing the character’.
The closest Ive played is an Alchemist, using real alchemical formulas as well as fantasy potions and I suspect the Artificer started as an attempt at Scholar-Tinkerer that turned magical...

imeannoharm

Dorkus
I once GMd a guy who was a real life engineer who decided his PC would also be an Engineer - the game involved exploration and extension of the sewers of a fantasy city (based on the Sewers of Paris), it worked because he knew what he was doing and would give advice from a real engineers perspective, I just had to complicate things.

But it was a challenge for me and that is why I think scholar classes are difficult. Most people dont have expertise on the History and Natural Physics of the Forgotten Realms and so playing a class that does those things becomes a case of asking the DM for more data rather than ‘playing the character’.
The closest Ive played is an Alchemist, using real alchemical formulas as well as fantasy potions and I suspect the Artificer started as an attempt at Scholar-Tinkerer that turned magical...
I like it when PCs come up with ideas by themselves in a game, rather than relying on their in-game proficiency and the roll of the dice to succeed on their Knowledge check.

Clerics don't get heavy armor by default anymore.
Clerics don't smite with melee attacks anymore by default anymore.

The classes diverged in 3e and in 5e are 2 separate archetypes.
Clerics of the Life domain do get heavy armor, divine smite with their melee attacks, and the ability to cure by touch. There does not need to be an entire paladin class, when a cleric sub-class already does everything that a paladin is supposed to do.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Well it doesn't have to be that technical.
It could be your stereotypical fantasy smart guy who somehow knows a ton of knowledge and languages. Like an artificer but not magical.

Clerics of the Life domain do get heavy armor, divine smite with their melee attacks, and the ability to cure by touch. There does not need to be an entire paladin class, when a cleric sub-class already does everything that a paladin is supposed to do.

Life Clerics can't smite until level8. They don't get martial weapons. And clerics are primarily spellcasters.
It's a totally different experience for a modern paladin.

Why specifically the mother?

Because, on average, women are less likely to get aggravated by the adorable baby and throw it off the balcony*.

*An activity most sane health professions, mental health professions, and law enforcement would recommend against.

**I'm absolutely, 100%, without-a-doubt positive that there is a double-blind, clinical, peer-reviewed research trial/experiment/thingy to back me up here.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases