D&D 5E Should D&D 5e have Epic Levels?

Should D&D 5e have Epic Levels?

I'm happy to have a campaign where my character breaks the 10th level threshold, much less epic levels. :( Would there be a big demand for an epic level content? I didn't vote because I'm undecided. Edit: I voted

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I voted no in that I'm not interested in it, and I don't think WOTC will ever make them (beyond boons).

For my style of play, I like the campaigns to have an end point. In the past the natural ending has been before 20th level. I think my current campaign will bring the PCs to 20th level, but then they'll defeat the BBEG and save the world, so we'll stop there.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I voted yes, but I think the real issue is not adding class levels. The real issue is having adventures that are epic in stakes and in scope, but which are not just another dungeon delve with bigger numbers. The PCs ought to be doing things like ruling nations (maybe even worlds), leading armies, controlling major organizations like factions and churches, but this is so different from the iconic D&D experience that we may need to introduce new rules, the DM may have difficulty adjudicating the outcome of the PCs' actions, and the players themselves may not be interested in taking the game into this new direction.

What you're describing is different from the iconic D&D experience, which is sad because it didn't use to be.

shesheyan

Explorer
What you're describing is different from the iconic D&D experience, which is sad because it didn't use to be.

At your table maybe, but there are thousands of fans of the Expert Set (and BECMI or RC or AD&D) who gladly incorporated these notions in their games since it came out. There is nothing sad about that. I certainly welcomed it with joy in 1981. I play Munchkin when all I want to do kick the door, kill the monster and steal the loot.

dave2008

Legend
At your table maybe, but there are thousands of fans of the Expert Set (and BECMI or RC or AD&D) who gladly incorporated these notions in their games since it came out. There is nothing sad about that. I certainly welcomed it with joy in 1981. I play Munchkin when all I want to do kick the door, kill the monster and steal the loot.
I believe @Alzrius is saying that it is sad that many people don't still play this way. It looks like you took the opposite meaning though.

Shiroiken

Legend
I'm not a fan of "Epic Levels" as have been presented since 2E, probably because I started in 1E. In OD&D and 1E there was no maximum level, but you did get to the point of diminishing returns where gaining upper levels gave you much less than the lower levels (with more dead levels). Implementing this into 5E would be fairly easy by simply allowing multi-classing a level instead of gaining the normal epic boon. This also makes capstones still available for multi-class characters.

Zsig

Explorer
As long as it shows up on a book exclusive for that sort of content, I don't care.

If it shows up on books competing for precious space with other (in my opinion) more useful content, then no.

Remove ads