• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should D&D Have a 9th School of Magic (Restoration)?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Well, if the Death domain is evil because it "is concerned with the forces that cause death, as well as the negative energy that gives rise to undead creatures," then I'm unsure how/why the School of Necromancy isn't listed alongside it in the Dungeon Master's Guide. ?

The Player's Handbook says that "creating the undead through the use of necromancy spells such as animate dead is not a good act, and only evil casters use such spells frequently," yet one of the main School of Necromancy subclass features focuses on doing just that. ?

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Well, if the Death domain is evil because it "is concerned with the forces that cause death, as well as the negative energy that gives rise to undead creatures," then I'm unsure how/why the School of Necromancy isn't listed alongside it in the Dungeon Master's Guide. ?

The Player's Handbook says that "creating the undead through the use of necromancy spells such as animate dead is not a good act, and only evil casters use such spells frequently," yet one of the main School of Necromancy subclass features focuses on doing just that. ?
because the death domain is evil arbitrability along with oath breaker.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
because the death domain is evil arbitrability along with oath breaker.

Nah, it's pure evil. Give it to the baddies!
Here's one of my favorite paintings, "The Angel of Death." It was painted in 1881 by Evelyn DeMorgan. It depicts Death as the classic "Grim Reaper" complete with black wings and the scythe, but as a bringer of comfort and relief, not ruin. The angel touches the woman tenderly, bearing his weight on his scythe as a means of support as he kneels low before the woman, putting himself in the position of a servant (or even a lover, as some critics have suggested.)

The woman's expression suggests that Death is welcomed, not feared. She is seated, in a position of weakness, her skin is pale and her eyes are sunken, and she wears the color red; many art critics suggest that this points to a lingering wasting illness (perhaps tuberculosis, which was rampant at the time of the painting.)

The landscape to the left of the painting is dry and barren, but is lush and fertile to the right, suggesting that the angel is also the bringer of renewal...a necessary part of life.

In this painting, Death is not evil. Death is neither cruel nor destructive.

All this to say, I don't think Death is "evil" any more than "fire" or "life" is evil. It's just...Death.

Angel of Death.png

Last edited:

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Here's one of my favorite paintings, "The Angel of Death." It was painted in 1881 by Evelyn DeMorgan. It depicts Death as the classic "Grim Reaper" complete with black wings and the scythe, but as a bringer of comfort and relief, not ruin. The angel touches the woman tenderly, bearing his weight on his scythe as a means of support as he kneels low before the woman, putting himself in the position of a servant (or even a lover, as some critics have suggested.)

The woman's expression suggests that Death is welcomed, not feared. She is seated, in a position of weakness, her skin is pale and her eyes are sunken, and she wears the color red; many art critics suggest that this points to a lingering wasting illness (perhaps tuberculosis, which was rampant at the time of the painting.)

The landscape to the left of the painting is dry and barren, but is lush and fertile to the right, suggesting that the angel is also the bringer of renewal...a necessary part of life.

All this to say, I don't think Death is "evil" any more than "fire" or "life" is evil. It's just...Death.

View attachment 141797
now what about undeath?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
why it makes no sense?
What doesn't make sense, my cool?

View attachment 141797
I love this painting! I've visited the De Morgan Museum and everything is just beautiful.

❤️

I'm all about allegories (especially as depicted in these pre-Raphaelite examples), and I agree that death is simply death and part of the great cycle that is life, but I'm inclined towards black and white fantasy in my D&D. Good guys, evil guys, and conflict between them.

Necromancers are iconic villains. I just like them like that.

Remove ads