D&D 5E Should healing magic be based on HD or not?

Should healing magic spells be based on HD size?

• No. This allows different spells to heal different amounts, such as Healing Word's d4.

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Mixed. You can have some spells use HD size, but others don't. It doesn't need to be universal.

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Mixed. As above, but force a creature healed to spend its HD to benefit from the spell.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Yes. But creatures don't actually spend their HD when healed, it is just based on their HD size.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Yes. As above, but force a creature healed to spend its HD to benefit from the spell.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Other. Please explain in your response.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I would requite reworking a bunch of spells, but I do believe that low level healing spell would require you to spend HDs, like most healing in 4e. Surge-less healing, like it was known by then, should be rare-ish features or less powerful. It would require to have more HD available at low level, maybe HD per day could something like half-level + proficiency.

Another idea: have creatures at 0 hp spend 1 HD to receive any healing. So no Hit Die remaining? No easy healing word for you!

Then you would need monsters/spells/challenges that drain HD from players or Conditions that affect the spending of HDs.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
One of the disadvantages with using 5E's hit dice as the primary source of healing (as opposed to the 4E Healing Surges) is that lower level characters have a lot fewer HD in 5E than HS in 4E. Which would make the disparity between low level and high level lethality even larger.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I dont mind the limits being on both external and internal forces. Sometimes a creature can only take so much damage, tempt fate so many times, just has a limit that cant be passed. I mean, folks like to point to a God's power channeling through their follower, but that follower cant keep doing it as often as they want. Why can one have a limit, but not the other?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
One of the disadvantages with using 5E's hit dice as the primary source of healing (as opposed to the 4E Healing Surges) is that lower level characters have a lot fewer HD in 5E than HS in 4E. Which would make the disparity between low level and high level lethality even larger.
Yeah if I had my designers hat on again, Id probably go HD + Con mod or something to add a few extra shots every day.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Yeah if I had my designers hat on again, Id probably go HD + Con mod or something to add a few extra shots every day.
I'd be all for giving Con mod more to do, but then we're adding complexity instead of changing complexity, which has its own issues.

In regards to healing magic, I would totally add a spell or two that can recover a character's expended HD. Frankly, I'm shocked a spell like that doesn't already exist. I also think that you should be able to expend HD to recover Exhaustion on a short rest, but that's just me.

Really, Hit Dice as a mechanic is shockingly underutilized in 5E in general.

HammerMan

Legend
See my last post though and I do not see how a priest making a potion can imbue it with knowing who is going to drink it to determine how much power is in it. I also wonder if it would be gamed and the fighter gets all the potions since he can roll a d10, or the barbarian with a d12. Although it might make the potion be used more in combat.
the priest or alchomist puts the same energy in... the energy that lets you tap a bit more of your luck vigor and defensives (represented by HD)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases