D&D (2024) Should healing word require hit dice?

Should healing word use ht dice?

• Yes. A good way to limit constant bouncing up from 0.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • No. I like how it is now.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Other. I think it needs fixed but not this way.

Votes: 20 28.6%

Yaarel

He Mage
The new exhaustion rules work great.

Exhaustion level = −1 penalty to ALL d20 checks.

But if reaching −10 Exhaustion, the character dies.

So, each time one reduces to 0 hit points, the character should increase the level of exhaustion.

I feel this mild disincentive will be effective enough for player to want to avoid hitting 0 hit points.

FireLance

Legend
Every time this issue is raised, I seem to have a different preferred solution. For what it's worth, this is what I think for now:

1. Replace Hit Dice with 4E style Healing Surges.
2. Healing Word only works on conscious targets. The target may choose to receive the healing OR spend a Healing Surge.
3. Cure Wounds can affect unconscious targets. After the target regains hit points, it can choose to spend a Healing Surge.

RoguePlanets

Villager
I would rather see HS back.
Damage is chaotic, healing should be reliable.
Of all the random things I could have encountered while looking up DnD things....
Horwath - I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm the artist who created the Cancer Man "Trust No One" image in your Profile avatar. I am flat out gob-smacked. I had that available on RedBubble until I got a take down notice from 20th Century Fox YEARS ago. William B Davis, who played the character on The X-Files saw that design on a shirt I had at a con and loved it, so I was bummed when I had to take it down. It has made my WEEK seeing it here!

- Chad
Rogue Planets

RoguePlanets

Villager
I would rather see HS back.
Damage is chaotic, healing should be reliable.
Of all the random things I could have encountered while looking up DnD things....
Horwath - I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm the artist who created the Cancer Man "Trust No One" image in your Profile avatar. I am flat out gob-smacked. I had that available on RedBubble until I got a take down notice from 20th Century Fox YEARS ago. William B Davis, who played the character on The X-Files saw that design on a shirt I had at a con and loved it, so I was bummed when I had to take it down. It has made my WEEK seeing it here!

- Chad
Rogue Planets

Clint_L

Hero
I like this, but it clutters the ruleset. As an optional DM's guide rule, it would be cool.
Why not just nerf it so that it can't work on unconscious targets? Rationale being that the magic relies on it being consciously heard and processed to work. This would kind of make sense as a contrast with cure wounds, where you touch the target directly to imbue the magic into them.

Of course, doing this probably instantly takes healing word from S tier to C tier. But that might be better for the game.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Why not just nerf it so that it can't work on unconscious targets? Rationale being that the magic relies on it being consciously heard and processed to work. This would kind of make sense as a contrast with cure wounds, where you touch the target directly to imbue the magic into them.

Of course, doing this probably instantly takes healing word from S tier to C tier. But that might be better for the game.
F Tier. If it can't stabilize the dying or bring them up, what's the use of wasting a bonus action for d4+mod healing? It's throwing a bucket of water on a forest fire, compared to incoming damage.

That's an interesting take.

And some healing in 4e worked the way you want. For example Cure Wounds. I like the approach that most healing relies on the resources of the healed which they would normally take longer to tap - and some doesn't.
yeah heal AS IF you spent a HD, and spend 1 but heal as if you spent 2 or more are both great

Remove ads