D&D 5E Should I ask my DM to kill my D&D character?

Leucis Deceit

Villager
So in my D&D game, I have a character, which I absolutely love. He has made a large impact on the plot, which has helped move the storyline along. There is one problem though. My character is a bit overpowered. He is a Tiefling Fighter, and has a large connection to the storyline. My DM is fine with whatever decision I make. What should I do?

TheSword

Legend
I would suggest three solutions. All I have seen work at one point or other.

1. Just keep your big guns in your back pocket. That powerful combo, that means you do substantially more damage or are impossible to hit, just don’t use it unless the party is really stuck and needs it. Or use it once or twice. Essentially exercise some self-control.

2. Change it up. Swap one of the overpowered options for something less powerful and more flavorful. Particularly easy with feats.

3. Retire the character. Ideally in an awesome plot thematic way that immortalizes the character. Then make a new one.

I’ve intentionally put them in that order as it’s easiest to hardest from your point of view. Particularly as you like the character.

Fanaelialae

Legend
So in my D&D game, I have a character, which I absolutely love. He has made a large impact on the plot, which has helped move the storyline along. There is one problem though. My character is a bit overpowered. He is a Tiefling Fighter, and has a large connection to the storyline. My DM is fine with whatever decision I make. What should I do?
Is the character being overpowered impacting the game negatively?

If it is, an option that allows you to continue playing the character would be to adjust the power of the character. If the character has really great magic items, maybe one or two of them go missing the next time you rest at an inn. If you rolled 18s across the board during character creation, maybe the next time your character is injured they have their ability scores reduced.

R_J_K75

Legend
He has made a large impact on the plot, which has helped move the storyline along. There is one problem though. My character is a bit overpowered. He is a Tiefling Fighter, and has a large connection to the storyline.
If you have had a major connection to the story line and the outcome of the overall game perhaps take matters into your own hands and make the ultimate sacrifice at a very tense moment/battle so that it positively effects the outcome of the game/campaign in such a manner that Bards will immortalize you in song.

Seems like you are OK with making a new PC so this may be an option where the character will be remembered and still have a place in the legends of the campaign.

J-H

Hero
How is he overpowered?
If everyone used point buy, then any OPness is either coming from other people being anti-optimized, or from some kind of powerful magic item(s) that have been handed out.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If the DM isn't concerned about your character's power level, why should you be?

Yea, it's tough to see how a fighter is too OP unless he went something like XBE/SS. I'm curious to see the character, and whether his party mates might simply be a little underwhelming.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

So, first, make it fun. If you're going to ask for advice here ... you need to set up a new thread, provide all the details, and make it a poll for people to vote! That's right- you can have the (lack of) wisdom of crowd.

Next, ignore the poll. If you're asking this question, you know the answer. Your character MUST DIE. And this isn't some sort of "DM May I" scenario. No, you don't ask the DM to die.

You. Demand. It.

That's right. You need to start charging into situations with a ferocity and stupidity that would make Leeroy Jenkins go- "Dude, maybe you should wait a second and think about this?"

You need to start thinking of outrageous actions at all time in order to chew through whatever plot armor the DM is trying to provide you. "The King is saying that if I bow, he won't have his 5000 Tarrasques kill us all? YOU AREN'T THE KING OF ME!!!!!"

Anyone can live in 5e; but to die, and to die spectacularly? That's special.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Fighter and overpowered to explained in the same sentence.
A fighter with +2 shield and plate armor at the beginning of tier 3 for example, would be really OP.

Honestly, martials can be really strong if the campaign does a decent job of providing multiple combat encounters in an adventuring day, as it should be. Especially if feats are allowed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases