• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should I spend money for 4th edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I should have mentioned this earlier. I dont want to wait till through out the summer because I know a place thats selling them and I could get them REALLY cheap, but only for that day. And at the same time, shame on me for being a little money grubbing, I dont wanna waste money on it period, because if its bad, I end up with the short end of the stick, because im out X amount of dollars. As you can imagine, I would want a deal as soon as I could get it, and I was raised on knowing alot better things to use X bucks for then 3 possibly crappy books.

baberg

First Post
Only you can answer that.

I suggest trying to find someplace near you that's hosting matches on Game Day (June 7th) and try out a game or two as a player.

Andur

First Post
If you don't have the 4th Edition Core rulebooks in your paws by June 9th, then you must send me $75.00 U.S. I can be paid cashiers check, paypal, or beer. ;)

On a less serious note ;), what may be my Pro may be your Con, so it is real hard to tell you what is a pro/con without actually being you.

If you like to have to roll 3000 dice to determine 18 seconds of combat then 4e is not for you. If you don't like new things, 4e is not for you. If you believe that Elf, Half Elf, and Dwarf should still be their own classes, 4e is not for you.

If you want a rules system that supports a very "action cinematic" feel, then I think 4e is closer than its predecessors. If you are a DM and want to be able to whip up playable, interesting encounters that won't be too easy or too hard on a regular basis then 4e is a good bet. (Course you might also want to spend a lil more time prepping for the session too)

Sir Brennen

Legend
Dragon_Man_Of_Lore said:
Okay, I should have mentioned this earlier. I dont want to wait till through out the summer because I know a place thats selling them and I could get them REALLY cheap, but only for that day. And at the same time, shame on me for being a little money grubbing, I dont wanna waste money on it period, because if its bad, I end up with the short end of the stick, because im out X amount of dollars. As you can imagine, I would want a deal as soon as I could get it, and I was raised on knowing alot better things to use X bucks for then 3 possibly crappy books.
Check the price on Amazon... is this place you know of going to sell them as cheaply? I doubt it, unless you're doing some "oh, these fell of the back of a truck" sort of deal. Then you'll still have time to look at the books elsewhere beforehand, perhaps a gaming buddy's copy, and read somewhat more informed internet opinions about the books before you buy.

Really, no matter what anyone tells you now, you're still taking a risk you're not going to like them if you buy them sight-unseen, because no one here is going to know exactly what you're going to like in a new D&D edition.

Edit: yeah, finding a gamestore running a preview game might be a good idea too.

shadowguidex

First Post
I hope you don't need this much hand holding for all your purchases of under $100.

Someone please tell me if I should buy the Lord of the Rings box sets. Someone, please tell me if I should buy 4 pizzas. Someone, please tell me if I should go out to the club on Friday night! Jesus man, it's not a new car or a mortgage, it's 3 books totaling $100 MAX. If you are interested buy them, if you're not interested don't buy them. This isn't exactly going to make or break your retirement.

If you're in a situation where $100 IS a huge sum of money to you, I'd definitely recommend that you buy food and shelter instead of fueling your hobby needs.

Stalker0

Legend
Amazon's deal sold me. I was in the "most likely going to get 4e" but when I saw three books for under $70 I signed up right away.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
Amazon's deal sold me. I was in the "most likely going to get 4e" but when I saw three books for under $70 I signed up right away.

I got the Amazon deal to. It's not much to part with, you might as well go ahead. If you like it, keep it, if not, sell it. You are going to waste a lot less money pre-ordering it than buying it after it comes out in the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads