• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should I spend money for 4th edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, if somebody else already started a similar thread, please link me there

Ill get straight to the point. Should I take time out of my day and money out of my wallet, just to buy 4th edition? What im asking here is what are the pro's and con's of the new 4th edition? Ive looked around, and Ive heard some good and some bad concerning it; mostly bad. Now, I don't know if I'm just a bad Googler, or have untrustworthy sources, but could one of you veteran D&D players shed some light on my confusion? Do the Pro's outweigh the Con's? Do the Con's outweigh the Pro's. HELP ME!!!!! As of me posting this, I have 47 days according to the WotC website, to make a final choice.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
(Apologies for my snark.)

If you are that much on the fence, Wait til July, it isn't being pulled off the shelves June 7th.

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
Dragon_Man_Of_Lore said:
As of me posting this, I have 47 days according to the WotC website, to make a final choice.
Why? You can't make a choice a few days, weeks or months after the game is actually out, when people have actually seen the game, to make a choice? You absolutely have to buy it on the first day it's out or not at all? You need to make your purchase decision based on pre-release material, rumor and gossip?

Take a look at the link at the top (http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=4e) where most of the 4E info so far has been gathered, read through it, and decide if it's right for you. Then I'd still advise waiting til the books are actually out if you're that on the fence.

Kordeth

First Post
There's a ton of info out there, and really, you're going to have to decide for yourself--all this thread is going to do is degenerate into pro-4E players refuting anti-4E players and vice versa for about 30 pages before somebody gets too snarky and a mod locks the thread. Besides, strangers on the internet don't know what your gaming style is or what things you're looking for in a game.

Start here , with ENWorld's massive depository of 4E info. You can also find a fair number of previews on the main WotC site. If you like what you see, buy it; if you don't, pull a Lord Humungus and just walk away. :)

frankthedm

First Post
It really depends.

if you are a DM sick of all the Borken feats and spell comboes of 3E, 4E will seem like a godsend.

if you loved 'fine tuning' a character across numerous splat books, you will HATE 4e.

Masquerade

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
Then I'd still advise waiting til the books are actually out if you're that on the fence.
Agreed. This summer, stop by your local bookstore and hold the book in your hands. Flip through it a bit. Maybe read the first couple chapters. The right decision should be much easier to make.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I don't think you'll get a whole lot of balanced opinion here. There's a lot of screamers on both sides of it. ;)

My advice? Wait and see. As CG pointed out, it won't STOP being sold on release day. Pick up the books themselves, look through them, and if you like it, go for it. If not, you haven't blown $90.

You definately don't have to rush into this choice. Let 4e come to you, don't worry about coming to it. :)

Victim

First Post
It's not out yet. As such, the information currently available is not particularly reliable. If you have the time, you could check out the previews and comments linked to on this site so you have first hand information. You likely know your preferences better than we do. And people on the Internet will complain about anything. :)

But why do you need to the books immediately when they come out? You could just wait for them to appear in a store near you (hopefully - might not be an option depending on where you live) and check out the finished products then.

You might be able to save a little money by preordering, but it's also a risk (especially if you aren't very well informed about the game). I see no reason not to adopt a wait and see approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads