• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should magic items stay out of the next PHB?

I'd like a section in the "equipment" chapter that explains what magic items are, how rare they tend to be, and how they affect your character's power and options. Then include a handful of "legendary items" that every character would have heard of, with a brief bit of lore but absolutely no mechanics.

The point here is to say, "This is the sort of stuff you're risking your life adventuring for."

Stalker0

Legend
Since WOTC has said 5e magic weapons are meant to be very rare and special...and not assumed in the core math, then they should absolutely go in the DMG.

BobTheNob

First Post
Since WOTC has said 5e magic weapons are meant to be very rare and special...and not assumed in the core math, then they should absolutely go in the DMG.

Gotta admit I havent seen that information. Im glad thats the case. For me Magic equipment lost some of its sparkle when it just became part of the build and class requirement. It was so much more enjoyable when it was an aspect of character growth which was outside of character design, a random boost the player wasnt expecting.

Raith5

Adventurer
Agree that the PH is not the place for most magical items.

But I would like to see more consideration given to masterwork items, alchemical items, modest curing and healing potions etc. I am happy for these to be in PH.

All in all some blurring between magical and mundane items would be good and I must confess that I have traditionally seen a +1 or +2 weapon as being a magically forged item rather than magic per se, but a flaming +2 sword is clearly magical.

drothgery

First Post
Since WOTC has said 5e magic weapons are meant to be very rare and special...
I will be shocked if this is actually true, since it has never been true in D&D (outside of Dark Sun), and it's clear 5e is not about radical paradigm shifts.
and not assumed in the core math, then they should absolutely go in the DMG.
The thing is -- and I hate to keep hammering on this across a bunch of threads -- is that if +X items exist, act similarly to the way they did in previous editions, and are not extremely rare, then they have to be assumed in the core math or the core math will be broken. Since +X items were never extremely rare in D&D and I doubt they're going to start that with 5e (even though some noted designers have argued for ditching them entirely, it's just not the kind of move that fits in with what WotC is doing with 5e), the core math will either assume them or be broken. Pessimism leads to me to think it will be broken, since this has been true in all prior editions of the game, even when they actually did take +X items into account in 4e.

Last edited:

Elf Witch

First Post
What about arcane spells (pre-4e) or rituals (4e)?

While I think a DM can say that spell is not in my game or houserule out feats, classes and things like that a player should have the ability to design their character.

And while I think it is great that players have an idea of what they would like to see with magic items and should let their DM know it is still up to the DM on the how and why to introduce an item.

I know that the paladin in my game wants a holy sword what he does not realize is that the sword he is carrying is a holy sword. It is just not awakened and I have plan on how this will happen.

I had a friend tell me how frustrated he was getting with his bunch of newbie 4E players who just go out and buy items without telling him. They got really upset when he told them they needed his approval. To them since it was in the PHB it was no different than choosing a class or any of the other choices they got to choose to make their characters.

Greg K

Legend
But I would like to see more consideration given to masterwork items, alchemical items, modest curing and healing potions etc. I am happy for these to be in PH.

I would prefer alchemical items (e.g., sunrods, thunderstones, tanglefoot bags, etc) be saved for a supplement.

Dausuul

Legend
Practically speaking, in the PHB-DMG-MM model, it is important to have magic items in the DMG simply for space reasons. But to be more philosophical, it does also push them away from being an assumed resource, and suggests them as a DM tool, which is a good thing.

I agree. Putting magic items in the DMG will not keep players from seeing them, but it does encourage players and DMs to think of them as DM material rather than player material. It nudges everybody in the direction of "magic items are exotic and rare" and away from "I am entitled to X magic items of my choice by level Y."

The 3e DMG also had the Leadership feat and prestige classes. Frankly, I'd be happy if they threw a few spells in there too. Wouldn't it change the mentality of the game if Raise Dead were in the DMG? Gate? Maybe the whole variety of "ritual"-type spells?

This is an awesome idea and I endorse it 100%.

Remove ads