D&D 5E Should Oathbreakers do Necrotic damage rather than Radiant?

It seems like an easy ribbon to add to the subclasses (not terribly different than the cleric added damage to melee weapons ability). I am more of the "the gods are angry at you and send a bunch of angels to punch you back into goodness" then a paladin falls kind of DM, so I haven't used the oath breaker yet. I will have to consider changing the divine smite damage if one of my players wants to be a treachery or conquest paladin (necrotic plus poison seems really appropriate for a treachery paladin who thinks Zehir is his patron).

manduck

Explorer
What if the Oathbreaker paladin was originally evil and broke their oath to become good? Granted, not the original intenet of the Oathbreaker. Though there's no reason you can't put a different spin on something.

Radiant damage is basically damage created from some kind of supernatural source (oaths and divine intervention are the most common) necrotic damage is damage that withers and destroys life.

Actually, radiant damage appears to mostly just be light damage. It isn't necessarily holy. I don't have my book at hand, but I'd bet that the lasers guns in the DMG do radiant damage. Necrotic damage isn't actually restricted to damaging organisms, nor is it necessarily supernatural. I don't remember where I saw it (maybe someone else does) but objects (not creatures--objects) can take necrotic damage from completely non-magical sources, based on a rules precedent that I believe is in the DMG.

So necrotic damage basically is any sort of entropic damage, even if it's just an object crumbling.

Remove ads