• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Should the D&D Movie Been Serious or Not Called D&D?

D&D had to be in the title because the goal is to promote the brand.

I wouldn't advice a serious tone because action with pieces of comedy enjoy a better box-office. The no-geek audience would rather fantasy comedy than serious fantasy. And a serious D&D story would need more time, and then a serie would be a better option.

The movie was fun, but other factors happened. It is not so bad when D&D is relatively a niche IP.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i'm curious, is there anything that anyone thinks that there really should've been in the movie to make it more 'The D&D Movie'? this could either be something you felt it was lacking or jsut something you would've liked to see.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
i'm curious, is there anything that anyone thinks that there really should've been in the movie to make it more 'The D&D Movie'? this could either be something you felt it was lacking or jsut something you would've liked to see.
Thats the 100 million dollar question. At the current moment, the general public doesn't know what D&D is specifically. Honestly, it has many takes so this is difficult to answer for even fans of the novels and such.

I think the first step was to establish the brand with a good general movie. Then, move into specifics. Issue is the biggest crazy ass movie of the year basically ate their lunch. So, could they have added more D&D elements in more detail? I'm sure they could have, however, I don't think it would have made any difference.

I think you'll find more of this missing D&D stuff in the streaming series when it comes out.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
It was marketed in the way you'd market a bad movie that you were hoping to sucker viewers into going. It was a reasonably solid fun movie with good reviews(72 on Metacritic which is top 25% MCU level) that shouldn't have done that.

I mean, just look at the 30 second Superbowl Commercial, imagine you know very little about D&D — does this look like a movie that Paramount and Hasbro are confident in? They likely spent several millions of dollars on that!

This is a really good point. In retrospect, the number of people who were surprised when it turned out to be a decent movie probably isn't an indication of marketing success.

Yeah, that 30 second commercial is downright awful, doesn't even match the actual tone of the movie. I think the final trailer was significantly better but by then maybe it was too late.

The only thing wrong with the movie was the time it was released.

Yes, I think this is a solid point that the biggest missteps seem to be in marketing and timing.

Timing: The D&D movie got released during kind of a flood of new movies, and got sandwiched between box office monsters John Wick and Mario.

Marketing: I think they sold it a bit wrong. Trying to evoke some Marvel/Guardians of the Galaxy vibe isn't a bad idea at all, but this movie has a lot of heart as well as humor. They sold it on the thievery and completely left out the heart of the story, the dad's quest to earn his daughter back.

The suggestion in the OP that they don't use the game name is, I think, a nonstarter. Hasbro wanted to promote the game, and it seems that they are successfully doing so. While box office may have been dragged down a bit by association with the genuine flop 20+ years ago, the movie has done great critically and with audience reviews, and seems to be doing a good job promoting the game and paving the way for TV and other projects.

The suggestion in the OP that it would have been better to go po-faced I think is really off-track. I think it would be bad for the brand and IMO would have consigned the movie into obscurity like any number of generic fantasy movies.

Indeed "flop" traditionally denotes a "total or spectacular failure". For a movie, the term is usually applied to one that absolutely hemorrhages money and/or one that is infamous in its production or marketing missteps (which sometimes includes movies that eventually show modest profits like Waterworld). This movie was (probably) only a modest failure, and its modest failure caught no real mainstream attention. It's a bummer for those of us wanting sequels, but it probably won't kill any careers, nor make Hollywood studios substantially more anti-pseudo-medieval fantasy than they already were. It is simple, garden-variety financial failure. And really, long term, as a movie well-received by most people who did watch it and tied to a popular IP, it is likely to have substantial ongoing value, even if Paramount and Hasbro continue failing to really make the most out of it in the near term. .

And the reason the terminology matters, is because "flop" is also generally associated with a movie that was utterly doomed to failure, not a movie that has solid fundamentals but just didn't find its audience due to marketing, timing, or subtle shifts in audiences' cinema preferences.

In my opinion the movie had strong enough fundamentals. It's not the D&D movie I would have made, but everything about it seems carefully attuned to be an audience pleaser in 2023, and we should all accept the fact that if this failed our own personal pet versions of what it should have been would have almost certainly failed harder. So that leaves it being a failure of circumstance rather than fundamentals. I think it probably should have either released a few weeks earlier (to take advantage of spring break moviegoers) or else been a Summer or Holiday release. I think while the marketing seemed good, it gave a lot of people the impression that this was spiritually a knock-off Marvel movie more than it really was, and audiences seem to have fatigue for actual Marvel movies. But I think the biggest issue was simply the insurmountable one that 2023 has a post-COVID movie glut at a point where movie-going is in decline, and its just very slim pickings out there for anything that doesn't manage to be one of the big event movies (which for me it was, but clearly not for most people).

In summary, it was a modest failure, not a huge one, and not one that teaches us a clear lesson about why it failed, nor a failure that marks it as clearly incapable of being a hit. If it was a flop that might be instructive, but it was just a moderately unprofitable movie, as many movies are.

I agree with this nearly 100%.

With the caveat that we don't have access to the essential data we need to anymore to judge whether a lot of movies actually clear a profit or not.

We know that post-pandemic the old math of box office vs. production and (add multiple for marketing costs and ticket sales split) is obsolete. Streaming makes up a much bigger piece of the pie than it used to, but we don't have those numbers publicly available, so only in cases of extreme box office success or failure can we speak with any confidence about profitability or total failure. This is somewhere in the middle. If Paramount and Hasbro are still moving forward with related projects, that seems like a strong indicator that it was successful by their lights.

No and no.

Dungeons and Dragons should have been in the title, as that is the "universe" the movie was taking place in. For a property that only has a film once in a while, it should be in the title. I would argue the name is "household" but not that many people really know much about it.

Would it work if it were more serious? Sure. However, I don't think it had to be, and I have my doubts it would work as well if it did.

Though the box office was disappointing (I was surprised, I enjoyed it), it did well critically. I know at the end of the day, dollars (or whatever currency you have) is what counts, but it is difficult to call it a disaster if it reviewed well. I kind of hate rotten tomatoes, but if it is even partially correct, it was pretty well-received. I watch a few reactors on youtube (yeah not a representative sampling) and the ones I did really enjoyed the film (most are not steeped in D&D). The small amount of people I know said they'd watch another one if it came out. That does not make for box office success, but it's nice to see non D&D fans actually like it.
Yup.

Simon gets eaten by the dragon, but then a new sorcerer named Sam who turns out to be Simon's cousin joins the party, following the Law of Conservation of Party Size.

Zardnaar

Legend
HAT had a fairly typical if not decent drop off rate. From memory it beat John Wick in that regard.

Big problem was not enough bums in seats week 1. People here thought 70million week 1 was good. For a movie with HATs budget its not.

They needed a week on week drop off of 18%. Which is functionally impossible.

John Wick had a 60%+ drop off rate iirc. Context 60% is below average not terrible.

BUT John Wick was a lot cheaper and had bigger week 1.

JW is also interesting contrast. Started off as a low budget movie (18 million iirc) built on that. Each one has earned more than the previous one.

It's now getting superhero level money without a Superhero level budget. JW made its budget week 1 took HAT 3 weeks to get there.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
HAT had a fairly typical if not decent drop off rate. From memory it beat John Wick in that regard.

Big problem was not enough bums in seats week 1. People here thought 70million week 1 was good. For a movie with HATs budget its not.

They needed a week on week drop off of 18%. Which is functionally impossible.

John Wick had a 60%+ drop off rate iirc. Context 60% is below average not terrible.

BUT John Wick was a lot cheaper and had bigger week 1.

JW is also interesting contrast. Started off as a low budget movie (18 million iirc) built on that. Each one has earned more than the previous obe.

It's now getting superhero level money without a Superhero level budget.
I wouldn't look to Wick as some kind of template. There are a thousand Joh Wick movies out there that never got buzz to get sequels.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Another thread rehashing the same arguments?

If this gets acrimonious, it will be closed without a whole lot of warning or discussion.

Remove ads