Should this PC implant the Eye of Vecna?

Should this PC implant the Eye of Vecna

• Yes.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • No.

Votes: 12 27.9%

pemerton

Legend
The invoker/wizard in my 4e game has come into possession of the Eye of Vecna (though it is currently disguised as a Moonstone Sphere - a crystal orb that was in the possession of an Angel of Secrets in service to Vecna).

The question is - should he pluck out his own eye and implant the artefact in its place?

Details on the PC: he is a mid-epic invoker/wizard who is a Divine Philosopher and Sage of Ages. He is a deva who was, until recently, reincarnated in human form - but then after dying he was returned to life in his full angelic form, with his memories of his thousand prior lifetimes (more or less) intact.

He wields the partly-reforged Sceptre of Law (= Rod of 7 Parts, with 5 parts currently re-assembled). He serves a range of gods: unambiguously Erathis, Ioun and the Raven Queen; a bit more grudginly Bane and Levistus (an arch-devil trapped in the ice of Stygia); probably Vecna (certainly with enough severity that the Sword of Kas rejected him when he tried to pick it up); and to a lesser extent Pelor. (Oddly enough, he is also on speaking terms with Kas.)

Gods and entities he is clearly opposed to include Asmodeus, Torog, Lolth, Gruumsh, and the full gamut of demon princes. He's pretty down on primodials too.

He is extremely hostile to humanoid forces (gnolls, goblins, orcs etc) who prey on civilised communities. It is less clear that he want to restore the Lattice of Heaven and thereby freeze the cosmos in divine, crystalline grandeur, although that is the goal of the Sceptre that he wields.

Here are stats for the Eye in Moonstone form, and in implanted form:

When held, the moonstone sphere has the following properties and powers (its attack powers include its own +5 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls, and deal +5d6 damage on a critical):

Property: You gain a +2 bonus to Arcana checks
Property: You gain a +5 item bonus to Perception checks (as the sphere at times moves like a roving eye, looking at things that you missed)
Property: You may use the sphere as a focus for scrying rituals

Power (At-Will ✦ Arcane, Charm, Psychic): As a standard action, make an attack (ranged 10 vs one creature): Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma +5 vs Will for 2d6+5 + Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma modifier psychic damage, and if you hit then you are invisible to the target until the start of its next turn

Power (Daily ✦ Arcane): As a minor action (ranged 10 vs one creature), you see through the target’s eyes (save ends), although the target is not aware that you are doing so: you have line of sight and line of effect from the target for your attacks, and powers used from this item can originate in the target’s square (each time you use a power through this link, a mystical third eye briefly appears upon the target’s brow)​

Once implanted, the Eye has the following additional properties and powers:

Property: The eye becomes part of your body, functioning like a normal eye (although retaining its unusual appearance); it communicates silently by delivering vivid hallucinatory visions about what it wants

Property: You suffer a -2 penalty to Diplomacy checks
Property: You gain a +5 item bonus to Insight checks in addition to the item bonus to Perception checks

Power (At-Will ✦ Arcane, Necrotic): As a standard action, make an attack (ranged 10 vs one creature): Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma +5 vs Fortitude for 2d6+5 + Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma modifier necrotic damage and ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends)

Power (Daily ✦ Arcane): As a minor action you call forth an aura of clear sight (aura 10) that lasts until the end of your next turn: you gain a +10 bonus to all attack rolls, ability checks and skill checks made against targets within the aura​

Currently, his bonuses to Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight and Perception are +37, +23, +25 and +25 respectively.

So, should he do it? Or not?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
From a rat-bastard DM's perspective - of course he should do it! Why else have you put it in the game? You want the players to have fun with it so you can have fun raking them over the coals for it later. And the best part is they will have brought it on themselves!

From an in-character perspective - what idiot rips out his own eye to put some magic item in its place?!? A D&D equivalent of a cyberpsycho, that's who. And nobody wants to go full cyberpsycho, they just hunt you down for it.

Storminator

First Post
Like Jeff, I answered Yes! before reading the post. :D In my Goblins of Eberron campaign I gave out the Eye at 7th level, and it was awesome. It let me just randomly hand out visions whenever I felt like it.

It more or less dominated the next 4 levels of adventuring, until the character died in a near TPK. Now one of the surviving PCs has moved off stage, but is known to have the Eye.

At the level your party is at, will it's attack powers still be useful?

PS

Celebrim

Legend
Is he evil and stupid?

If so, "Yes. What could possibly go wrong?"

If no, then, "Are you freaking kidding me? Your giving the DM unlimited ability to screw you over. As a RBDM, I guarantee you that this is more lethal than drinking hemlock and falling on your own sword. Even if the item has no powers not revealed above, I can use this to kill your character in some way that is horrible and you won't enjoy."

Metagame: Is your DM a true RBDM or is he a pushover? If he's a pushover, it's probably all the power and none of the consequences.

Herschel

Adventurer
From a rat-bastard DM's perspective - of course he should do it! Why else have you put it in the game? You want the players to have fun with it so you can have fun raking them over the coals for it later. And the best part is they will have brought it on themselves!

From an in-character perspective - what idiot rips out his own eye to put some magic item in its place?!? A D&D equivalent of a cyberpsycho, that's who. And nobody wants to go full cyberpsycho, they just hunt you down for it.

This.

Storminator

First Post
He should first test it on a blind man, or a bad goblin that deserves it.

I'm against giving artifacts to people in a way that makes them angry at you. :D

In my game the guy that got the artifact first started having nightmares when he carried it - like something was telling him all his sins and secrets. But when he put it down, he got nightmares that it was telling someone else all his sins and secrets. And it would only leave him alone if he planted it in the skull of another PC :D, which he did, in the middle of the elf attack during the bachelor party. (sometimes the weirdness of my game really catches up with me . . . )

PS

Remove ads