• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Should We Start Using a VTT?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
While there is nothing that has convinced me that using a VTT will be easier for me and my group than using zoom and multiple cameras since pandemic hit (and am REALLY looking forward to in-person gaming again), I want to thank everyone who made suggestions and provided links to possibilities and demos because despite not being convinced (yet), I remain curiuous.

The real irony for me since going remote is that I am actually buying and painting minis for the first time in a decade or more. Usually, I am the "unpainted is fine" and "use whatever to stand in for the monsters" type, but telling apart unpainted minis, etc through the cameras can be difficult, so been painting them and using different color bases to emphasize differences even btwn similar minis.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
While there is nothing that has convinced me that using a VTT will be easier for me and my group than using zoom and multiple cameras since pandemic hit (and am REALLY looking forward to in-person gaming again), I want to thank everyone who made suggestions and provided links to possibilities and demos because despite not being convinced (yet), I remain curiuous.

The real irony for me since going remote is that I am actually buying and painting minis for the first time in a decade or more. Usually, I am the "unpainted is fine" and "use whatever to stand in for the monsters" type, but through the cameras tell apart unpainted minis, etc can be difficult, so been painting them and using different color bases to emphasize differences even btwn similar minis.
I enjoy painting minis, so occasionally I'll throw a picture of a mini I just painted on a map and then display it on Roll20 as a "this is what you see". I mean, I liked how my frost giant turned out I want to show it off! :D

Nebulous

Legend
I started using Roll20 about a year ago at start of 2020. It has a fairly steep learning curve but I was eventually able to get the gist of it, but only because I had time to practice. There's the free tier, then a $5 and $10. I have the 10, and that gives you access to editing the scripts, which enables you to tweak the game in lots of small ways and to also use dynamic lighting. Personally, I love it, I can run stories almost like the old days, and I love messing with light and shadows and monster tokens. It becomes a hobby in itself, one that didn't exist for me on the physical playing table. There are endless maps available online, and for a small fee you can join patreons and use their super high quality maps. Roll20 also has lots of premade adventures you can purchase, although I would highly advise having the pdf or physical book to go along with. I find using the Roll20 adventure format very clunky.

But what I've seen is that people adapt to a VTT differently, and what one person loves another hates, so it might take some research or testing.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm in the process of switching from Tabletop Simulator to Astral Tabletop. I can't say how Astral plays, but so far, it's a lot easier to set up than Tabletop Simulator or Roll20.

Thomas Shey

Legend
It depends what you want the VTT to do. I use one, but its frankly just mostly a place to put up maps and move tokens around on them at need (and as a backup text chat feature in case Skype or Discord takes a dump, and occasional use as a die roller). If you want that, Maptool works fine (albeit with a bit of a learning curve, and perhaps tempting you down the primrose path of using features it has that are more trouble than they're worth). It also has the virtues that its A) Free and B) not dependent on someone else's servers. If you want more than that, its probably better to talk to the people who are familiar with Roll20 or one of the others.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I've been using PowerPoint and sharing the screen via Zoom, but I wouldn't mind migrating to a VTT.

My goals would be pretty basic:
  1. load map
  2. have feature to set resolution for grid and set grid size (5', 10', or whatever)
  3. place tokens
  4. have fog of war as PCs explore
  5. share via browser with players (or I can share via Zoom still, which is fine, too)
Most I've looked into have too many features and are not really intuitive. 🤷‍♂️

I've been using PowerPoint and sharing the screen via Zoom, but I wouldn't mind migrating to a VTT.

My goals would be pretty basic:
  1. load map
  2. have feature to set resolution for grid and set grid size (5', 10', or whatever)
  3. place tokens
  4. have fog of war as PCs explore
  5. share via browser with players (or I can share via Zoom still, which is fine, too)
Most I've looked into have too many features and are not really intuitive. 🤷‍♂️
You want Owlbear Rodeo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads